2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 07:11 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 421 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by bduds65
I see your point but would disagree. I have seen FBs with hard bags and they look fine. I think it's a mindset. Since we know this bike is a recent model because of the wheels, the '114' right there, and the headlight, we might lean towards bags and luggage without fringes. Otherwise the bike has an overall classic design. No fairing, rounded apes, etc.

All basically for the same reason I do not have saddlebags on my old red Dyna. I have a simple roll bag on the back. I never felt bags look right on that bike in spite of the old school look. Sure I could use more storage. But as many here know it's my second bike for day trips where I do not need to carry any extra jacket or sweatshirt. If I am going on a long weekend or overnight, I will certainly take my 19 Heritage.

JMHO. Carry on

I was not crtitisizing the hard bags, just the style wich is not matching this bike with the fringes like you said....
and I also agree that Bags doesn't fit all the bikes....

The following users liked this post:
bduds65 (09-06-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 07:46 AM
Urban Gorilla
Tourer
Received 240 Likes on 148 Posts

Appreciate all the comments...
It comes down to personal preferences (each to there own!) and practicality - having the separate touring setup is handy when needed (e.g. went to work Tuesday and was able to take wet weather gear, shoes, lunch bag and laptop) albeit, to be honest, I won't be using it that much.
Eventually, I'll have 3 different rear fender setups - 1. touring; 2. two-up and 3. solo (using a Thunderbike rear fender)

Old 09-06-2023, 09:42 AM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 552 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al 59
I was not crtitisizing the hard bags, just the style which is not matching this bike with the fringes like you said....
and I also agree that Bags doesn't fit all the bikes....
Its cool. I mentioned the hard bag because I saw them a few times and they are just different on a FB for some reason. Again probably because they just don't come that way. Same thing on a late model Heritage that doesn't have a fairing to match. It's not what it is as much as what we perceive. Not unlike the whole thing with what's actually on the box of Cheeze-It. There is no "s" to make it plural. Who knew!

Old 09-06-2023, 06:39 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

I haven't installed them yet on the bike yet, but I Installed a set of 158W TTIs and baffle packing wrapped the Shark Road 3.5inch RineHart Slip-On Mufflers today.
Louvered Baffles, with a 158W at the end just barely even with the baffle flare out bell, wrapped with Fiberglass muffler packing. It only took 1 Fiber Glass mat sheet to do 2 mufflers. Took about 2 hours.
Now to clean them off and install them onto the bike.

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 09-06-2023 at 10:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FranBunnyFFXII:
Steve Sportster (09-08-2023), Urban Gorilla (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 01:25 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 421 Likes on 261 Posts

good job, thanks for the tutorial...
tell us about the sound now...

Old 09-07-2023, 01:29 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Big Al 59
good job, thanks for the tutorial...
tell us about the sound now...
Tomorrow I'll be installing them.
Today I ran out of time, and my install alcove was occupied.
I'll get pics of them on the bike with my mew temporary chrome side covers, and do a YT short of the new exhaust note.

Old 09-07-2023, 03:16 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,926 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
I'll get pics of them on the bike with my mew temporary chrome side covers, and do a YT short of the new exhaust note.
They look nice, guessing they're going to add some sound volume.

Old 09-07-2023, 10:10 AM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 345 Likes on 270 Posts

@FranBunnyFFXII - tell us why you selected those.......what are you wanting to achieve? (at risk of everyone telling you you're wrong - ha ha)

Old 09-07-2023, 04:08 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by OldMike
They look nice, guessing they're going to add some sound volume.
They actually seem a little bit quieter than the 300s with the TTIs but I'm partially deaf so I have no idea.
They do sound better.

Originally Posted by Old New Rider
@FranBunnyFFXII - tell us why you selected those.......what are you wanting to achieve? (at risk of everyone telling you you're wrong - ha ha)
I originally got them back when I first got the bike because I had ordered a set of SE Street Cannons that ended getting stuck on backorder for months.
I saw these Shark Road slip ons onsale for 220$ and I said... **** it why not? I didnt like the Eliminators look.
I wanted the stock heatshields back on the bike, and I had noticed that these slip-ons were effectively just clones of the RineHart Racing 3.5inch slip-ons. So they would allow me to use the heatshields.
Then hilariously... just a few weeks later the SE Street Cannons came off backorder and were shipped to me before I could get around to installing the Shark Roads.
Then the 300s grew on me and I ended up keeping them.
So they just sat there for almost 2 years collecting dust, debating if I wanted to sell them as a kit, or build them myself.
I eventually got curious and wanted to see what the Shark Roads looked like on the bike and sounded, so I started tinkering with them and realized they didnt have bafflepacking or any torque plates so I let them sit again.
I got curious again a few weeks ago and decided since I found baffle wrap for cheap, and I already had 158W TTIs sitting around that didnt fit into the Eliminator 300s... Screw it I want to try what they look like.
So I built em and installed them so I can see the bike looking back more stock.

Alright here's the video clip.
The bike sounds more like a Harley Twin Cam exhaust note now, which is interesting.

The following 4 users liked this post by FranBunnyFFXII:
Durham man (09-08-2023), OldMike (09-07-2023), Steve Sportster (09-08-2023), Urban Gorilla (09-07-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 05:58 AM
Steve Sportster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,258 Likes on 1,096 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
I put a pair of Rinhart 3.5" Racing slipons on my 2022 Heritage last winter (last of the "no catalyst" model). I did almost the same things as you did. TTI inserts, glas matte wrap around the baffles. Love the sound on mine. Nice sound and love the looks.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?