2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 04:32 PM
morooster
Cruiser
Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

Will be retiring the SDC seat. Never realized how much higher up it sits you. Bought a guy's Le pera tailwhip off of facebook.

The following 2 users liked this post by morooster:
Big Al 59 (08-24-2023), Rabianegra (08-23-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 02:36 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 691 Likes on 381 Posts

Added new HD Lithium battery, the new HD charger for it, luggage rack and backrest. About done for now!

Old 08-24-2023, 12:58 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 345 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by morooster
Will be retiring the SDC seat. Never realized how much higher up it sits you. Bought a guy's Le pera tailwhip off of facebook.

How do you like the Le Pera? I almost bought one, but bought a member's Harley Hammock (2up) instead. SO much more comfortable than the stock mush seat. My a$$ doesn't hurt after riding anymore.

Old 08-24-2023, 01:48 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 691 Likes on 381 Posts

[QUOTE=Old New Rider;21354795]How do you like the Le Pera? I almost bought one, but bought a member's Harley Hammock (2up) instead. SO much more comfortable than the stock mush seat. My a$$ doesn't hurt after riding anymore.[/QUOTEI

I have not found a seat for the FXLRST that sits me as low as the stock seat. I tried the Saddleman step seat and it was not too bad, but it did sit me with less legroom for flat-footing than the stock seat, so I passed on it. How is the SDC seat for that?
It seams like most of the after-market seats are trying to give you more padding, or are fitted to a bigger ***, either of which raises you up and makes flat-footing more difficult. So how are the Le Pera and the SDC?

Old 08-24-2023, 02:17 PM
morooster
Cruiser
Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Old New Rider
How do you like the Le Pera? I almost bought one, but bought a member's Harley Hammock (2up) instead. SO much more comfortable than the stock mush seat. My a$$ doesn't hurt after riding anymore.
I will have to get back to you next week on this, after the seat actually arrives and i put a day trip on it.

[QUOTE=Redlegvzv;21354875]
Originally Posted by Old New Rider
How do you like the Le Pera? I almost bought one, but bought a member's Harley Hammock (2up) instead. SO much more comfortable than the stock mush seat. My a$$ doesn't hurt after riding anymore.[/QUOTEI

I have not found a seat for the FXLRST that sits me as low as the stock seat. I tried the Saddleman step seat and it was not too bad, but it did sit me with less legroom for flat-footing than the stock seat, so I passed on it. How is the SDC seat for that?
It seams like most of the after-market seats are trying to give you more padding, or are fitted to a bigger ***, either of which raises you up and makes flat-footing more difficult. So how are the Le Pera and the SDC?
I spoke extensively with the people at le pera and they told me that the 'kickflip' and 'tailwhip' should sit you at the same height of the stock seat, and only pushes you forward about 3/4 of an inch.
They have a lower option: the "maverick" seat which sits you about an inch lower than the stock seat.

the SDC is quality, just way too high up for me, combined with my 13.5" rear shock, you really feel perched on the bike. It may be more appropriate for stock shocks or even a lowered bike. But after a 600 mile day trip the only thing thats really hurting is my shoulders and back. It really is a quality seat.

The following users liked this post:
Old New Rider (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 03:57 PM
Rykus
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my Flo foot pegs, shifter and brake pedal on awhile back. Today I got my green brothers carbon shift linkage and brake linkage on.

Got a Behringer rear caliper and Lindall rotor to go on next, hoping that will fix the s#@t rear brake and I'll get onto the front brakes then suspension upgrades next!

Old 08-25-2023, 06:47 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,790 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by Rykus
Got my Flo foot pegs, shifter and brake pedal on awhile back. Today I got my green brothers carbon shift linkage and brake linkage on.

Got a Behringer rear caliper and Lindall rotor to go on next, hoping that will fix the s#@t rear brake and I'll get onto the front brakes then suspension upgrades next!
Looking forward to hearing how that new rear caliper and rotor do. My front brake is one finger good.

The following users liked this post:
Rykus (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 10:16 PM
Rykus
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fronts are really good too, still going to upgrade the pads and rotors on the front and have been contemplating calipers on the front too but mostly because I want to really reduce the unsprung wieght.

Will update after I get the rear brakes done. I honestly couldn't believe how bad the brake was on the back. I adjusted it as much as possible, but the lever was still low and I couldn't get it to have any power at all.

Old 08-26-2023, 01:56 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 421 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by tngarren
Looking forward to hearing how that new rear caliper and rotor do. My front brake is one finger good.

look nice but I wonder how you can move your feet on this pegs with all these cleats ?

Old 08-26-2023, 05:13 AM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,790 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by Rykus
I honestly couldn't believe how bad the brake was on the back. I adjusted it as much as possible, but the lever was still low and I couldn't get it to have any power at all.
Agree. I had better luck dragging my right foot on the tarmac than using the rear brake. Hard to believe H-D let bikes leave the factory like that.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?