2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2023, 09:22 AM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 157 Likes on 63 Posts

That’s why I’m bummed. My bike is a 21 and I figured most of the kinks had been worked out. It was spot on at 4800 miles when I checked it but to me it just seems excessive to burn that much oil compared to my older bikes.

Originally Posted by Big Al 59
I Had a lot of blowby on my 2018 Heritage, especially when I was pulling hard on the highway, my right saddlebag, side cover and exhaust was sprayed with a mixture of oil vapor, but my oil level was always stable, never needed to refill...
now I think I still have the same problem, but I don't see anymore as I have connected 2 hoses directly to the vents that send oil vapors from under the engine onto the road (I know it's bad lol) and now my air filter stays clean...
Perhaps one day I will change the oil pump with an upgraded one from after 2020...
Don't have the problem on my 2020 LRS...
You can see my mods on the 5296 post in this topic...

Old 08-08-2023, 10:26 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

My 2021 ran from utah to MN and back an didn't use any (or almost none) oil... FLSB.

Old 08-08-2023, 01:19 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 345 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Kadorja
My air filter has been needing a “recharge” so I pulled it and noticed a good amount of oil pooled at the bottom of the intake. The bike has been spraying a small amount of oil on the exhaust for a while now and I always thought it was from the filter being over oiled but I guess I have a blowby issue because when I checked the dipstick it was nearly bone dry. Going to make a catch can setup in a few weeks and see if that helps but for now I’m grabbing another quart of oil from the dealer tomorrow.

Probably going to design a bracket for my spring seat as well. That’s been long overdue.
Looks like you have a Trask CheckM8 breather installed? Is the drain hose and filter plugged? Maybe the filter at the end is clogged with oil mist so the engine is venting only into the carb again?

The Trask really cleaned up my engine. Zero oil spittle on the throttle body plate anymore.

Old 08-08-2023, 01:21 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Originally Posted by Old New Rider
Looks like you have a Trask CheckM8 breather installed? Is the drain hose and filter plugged? Maybe the filter at the end is clogged with oil mist so the engine is venting only into the carb again?

The Trask really cleaned up my engine. Zero oil spittle on the throttle body plate anymore.
that's stock, that's just a standard vent hose from the transmission.

Old 08-08-2023, 01:35 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
that's stock, that's just a standard vent hose from the transmission.
You're supposed to re-use the trans vent hose with the Trask - says to in the install instructions.

The Trask has squared-off, cast corners. The stock is a molded plastic with round corners. Pic shows sharp, square, cast corners like the Trask.

Old 08-08-2023, 02:02 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Originally Posted by Old New Rider
You're supposed to re-use the trans vent hose with the Trask - says to in the install instructions.

The Trask has squared-off, cast corners. The stock is a molded plastic with round corners. Pic shows sharp, square, cast corners like the Trask.
Yes I know.
but that is a stock one. You can see the texture on the cover, it's that matte plastic.
The trask ones are gloss black or chrome.
also you can see the rising ridge on the left side of the cover, the trask one is a flat plane across the entire top.

The following users liked this post:
Old New Rider (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 02:12 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master

Hey @Kadorja - install a Trask CheckM8, if it fits your bike. A bunch of members installed it - it stops breather oil carryover.

https://shop.traskperformance.com/pr...rans-top-cover

Old 08-09-2023, 05:24 AM
Steve Sportster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,258 Likes on 1,096 Posts

Cut the windshield down by 1.5". Used a jig saw with a fine blade. Took a test ride and it's now perfect for me.

Old 08-09-2023, 11:44 AM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 157 Likes on 63 Posts

Grabbed everything I needed for a DIY external breather. Also added in 1/2 quart of oil and let it idle for a while. Back up to the full mark so that makes me feel a little better. Still cost $18 for the damn oil though.

Old 08-09-2023, 01:31 PM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 421 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Kadorja
Grabbed everything I needed for a DIY external breather. Also added in 1/2 quart of oil and let it idle for a while. Back up to the full mark so that makes me feel a little better. Still cost $18 for the damn oil though.
is not a good thing to have too much oil, that's why you have a lot of blowby, half the mark is enough...

The following users liked this post:
NZLowrider (08-09-2023)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?