2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 06:20 PM
TracerBullet
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,294 Likes on 2,899 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Hammock Seat back on the bike, and testing my cargo setup.
I havent tried the tankbag yet, but it's about time I got my stuff setup for some trips. I didnt get to tour last summer. Lots to explore this year.

concerned that is not safe. Especially if you run into crosswinds or splash fro tractor trailers. That set up is a sail.

Old 06-05-2023, 06:30 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
concerned that is not safe. Especially if you run into crosswinds or splash fro tractor trailers. That set up is a sail.
It's fine. I did like 180+miles yesterday with it.
It's easier to handle in the wind than my boyfriend on the back. It weighs substantially less than a 5ft3 man with a helmet on. :P
I had no problem with zipping down the freeway and country roads with it.

The following 2 users liked this post by FranBunnyFFXII:
Old New Rider (06-06-2023), YHNYDad (06-05-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 07:12 PM
NorthernFXLRS
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

well 1 week and 1000km later I couldn’t stop tinkering on it. Bitwell grips. LSS trigger levers. Mirror flip. Reflectors off. Moons pegs. Step up seat. Passenger pegs. LED front signal and rear delete. Moons v3 tail light. Lay down plate. TBR turnout exhaust.
just trying to decide on risers now. Thinking 8” straight will put me where I want to be. Any recommendations?
cheers

Old 06-05-2023, 07:26 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by NorthernFXLRS
well 1 week and 1000km later I couldn’t stop tinkering on it. Bitwell grips. LSS trigger levers. Mirror flip. Reflectors off. Moons pegs. Step up seat. Passenger pegs. LED front signal and rear delete. Moons v3 tail light. Lay down plate. TBR turnout exhaust.
just trying to decide on risers now. Thinking 8” straight will put me where I want to be. Any recommendations?
cheers
If you ride using body position to get more aggressive in the corners, look for Pull back, not increased riser height.
The taller your bars, the more they interfere with good body position.
Lower Bars, pulled back, and controls adjusted downward helps a lot for riding fast and staying in control.
Thrashin has a 6.5inch pullback riser.

Old 06-06-2023, 06:04 AM
Doublefelix
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
If you ride using body position to get more aggressive in the corners, look for Pull back, not increased riser height.
The taller your bars, the more they interfere with good body position.
Lower Bars, pulled back, and controls adjusted downward helps a lot for riding fast and staying in control.
Thrashin has a 6.5inch pullback riser.
funny thing, Fran, is that I put wide 12" apes on my Fat Boy, and it actually corrected my over-use of counter-steer/counter-lean. It took the weight off the bars, and makes "foot/leg english steering" more natural. To each their own, I guess.

Old 06-06-2023, 08:35 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Doublefelix
funny thing, Fran, is that I put wide 12" apes on my Fat Boy, and it actually corrected my over-use of counter-steer/counter-lean. It took the weight off the bars, and makes "foot/leg english steering" more natural. To each their own, I guess.
Countersteering is necessary and how you turn a motorcycle, not in the same camp as counter-leaning.
Counter-leaning adds lean angle because it shifts the CG of the bike outward meaning the bike has to lean more for the same speed.
You ALWAYS have to countersteer to turn a motorcycle, you can't "over-use" countersteering
The only reason why the tall bars corrected you is because you have an ingrained habit to counter lean against the bike and the apes make you sit upward in the seat because they restrict your movements.
But unless you're like massively tall, a set of Apes that size is going to restrict how far your outside arm can be extended before it runs out of length to extend.

This is why none of the King of the Baggers bikes have super tall bars, and instead have very tall seats and low kickedback bars, so they can get over the tank into the inside of the turn, and use all that lean angle the tall ride height and peg get them.
They learned very quickly that big tall T bars=Slower bike.

For someone like me who rides like this all the time, learned to ride over the tank in a turn instead of counter-leaning, a set of tall bars is a huge hinderance. My bars in the stock position, set high like they were from the previous owner were a huge hinderance to being able to ride quickly in the corners. Which is why I got pullback risers and dropped the bars down as far as I could reasonably put them without making them uncomfortable.

Old 06-06-2023, 10:35 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 322 Likes on 198 Posts

Cycle Visions makes a nice cover plate for the rear strut where you removed the turn signals. I have a set I never used. If you want them, PM me. I'd let them go for the cost of shipping to you. Not sure if that makes sense shipping it to Canda though.

These are the ones. Mine are still sealed in the package.
https://www.cyclevisions.com/collect...bolts-set-of-2

Zach

Originally Posted by NorthernFXLRS
cheers

Old 06-06-2023, 10:43 AM
NorthernFXLRS
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggzed
Cycle Visions makes a nice cover plate for the rear strut where you removed the turn signals. I have a set I never used. If you want them, PM me. I'd let them go for the cost of shipping to you. Not sure if that makes sense shipping it to Canda though.

These are the ones. Mine are still sealed in the package.
https://www.cyclevisions.com/collect...bolts-set-of-2

Zach
thanks for the offer. I have some coming from stateside already though. Just long lead time it seems.

The following users liked this post:
Biggzed (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 12:06 PM
RichM752
Road Master
Received 384 Likes on 220 Posts

Washed the bugs off and made her look all spiffy.

The following 4 users liked this post by RichM752:
CatEyeDallas (06-08-2023), Durham man (06-06-2023), Old New Rider (06-06-2023), YHNYDad (06-08-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 01:04 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 345 Likes on 270 Posts

Yep, apes be for cruisin'.

If anything, I'd leave my handlebar height alone but pull them in a bit. Not sure how expensive that'd be, with all the stuff on them. Probably not worth the minor comfort increase on my 21 Heritage Classic.

The following users liked this post:
Durham man (06-06-2023)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?