2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 11:28 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,926 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
I tend to ham-fist stuff without a torque wrench. Got tired of mucking up battery terminals. Hell, I even use a torque wrench on the oil filter! I use the Triumph spec of 80 in-lb.
LOL, OK OK, I understand.

Old 05-11-2023, 11:35 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al 59
hello Fran,
thanks for this report of the 10000 miles maintenance, I've already read about this drain plug, but I don't remember what is the benefit of putting a shorter one ?
Yeah as other said it's for fixing sumping.
Overly filled sumps can cause the flywheel to drag in oil, which can reduce gas mileage, and since Im having gas mileage issues and installed the SE Pump I wanted to install the short sump plug to make sure all bases were covered before looking at other things.
I want my bike to last, and perform well.

The following users liked this post:
Urban Gorilla (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 12:00 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 322 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
10K service on Rayearth today, Plus Feuling Short Sump plug install.
Went for a 12.5 mile ride to get everything warm and toasted, pulled the oil drain plug, and then used my 450F setting on my heat gun for 2 minutes on the sump plug port and the stock plug came right out.
Getting a feel for the new sump plug was really weird, so I used my torque wrench at 5ft lbs and 6ft lbs, and then turned the plug lightly afterwards to till it "stopped" with my normal ratchet. I didnt exactly put much effort into it but there's a few threads showing so It's in there.
Pulling the stock plug out there was a surprising amount of oil, and it kept bleeding out oil everytime I cleaned up the plug port. I waited till it stopped for a few seconds and looked dry and then installed the short plug.
A lot of crap to do for 10K service too. Also DO NOT TRUST THE ****ING MANUAL for the battery bolt torque. The terminals on my battery are all pulled up and sorta crushed. 8ft lbs is way way too ****ing much for the battery I have. So if you have aftermarket, snug it, and then turn it a slight bit more. Luckly the battery is still usable, but I'm gonna get a replacement next year. Sometimes the manual is NOT correct.
I noticed very very tiny silvery and golden flakes in the oil filter, nothing big, just barely noticable and I wouldnt have even noticed them if I wasnt looking for them.
That permanent oil filter is REALLY nice for looking at what went through the system. Not shavings on either the oil drain plug, or the filter magnet. Just a bunch of microparticle gunk.
I still got some related stuff to do though like installing the Mueller Power Clutch, and some other nitpick bits, but the light is fading and i'll worry about it later.
Glad to have this service and sump plug swap done.
Now I can get back to riding with others and riding distance. Waiting for a nice hot day so I can break out the swimsuit and head to the lake. I haven't gone swimming since I was in the Army.
The gold flakes are brass. Likely rod parent bearing material. Could also be cam plate parent bearing material. I would keep an eye on it.

Zach

Old 05-11-2023, 12:35 PM
RGS88
Road Warrior
Received 1,992 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by Durham man
do you still have your stock risers on your bike?
Negative, I have the 5.5" risers from deadbeat customs I think (biltwell?)

Old 05-11-2023, 12:56 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Torque specs keep you from ripping off threads... when you are fooling with lead compositions a valuable piece of info... for the protection of Harley at least.

Old 05-11-2023, 01:08 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My 5.5 drag specialties risers with 1 1/4 riser extension’s. They recess into the extension’s.
Originally Posted by RGS88
Negative, I have the 5.5" risers from deadbeat customs I think (biltwell?)
those 1”risers extension’s are for 1” risers. They will not work with drag specialties risers. You need 1 1/4 riser extension’s. Or are the bitwell 1”?

Last edited by Durham man; 05-11-2023 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-11-2023, 01:38 PM
DaveyFB
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,089 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Just had the Inspection, only 3100 miles on it, I was looking at the trip OD before & it said 401.8 - missed the dot
Now I can start the upgrades, highway bars & fog lights, relocation of license plate & odds & ends

Old 05-11-2023, 02:24 PM
RGS88
Road Warrior
Received 1,992 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by Durham man

My 5.5 drag specialties risers with 1 1/4 riser extension’s. They recess into the extension’s.
those 1”risers extension’s are for 1” risers. They will not work with drag specialties risers. You need 1 1/4 riser extension’s. Or are the bitwell 1”?
Oh shoot, I was under the impression those slipped under the risers. hopefully he hasn't sent them out yet!

Old 05-11-2023, 03:34 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,885 Likes on 3,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggzed
The gold flakes are brass. Likely rod parent bearing material. Could also be cam plate parent bearing material. I would keep an eye on it.

Zach
From roller bearings??

Old 05-11-2023, 04:37 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 322 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
From roller bearings??
No. The cam rides on a brass/bronze bushing in the cam plate. Only roller bearing for the cam is in the case (needle bearing actually). There are roller bearings in the case for the crank assembly, but the piston pin runs on a brass/bronze bushing in the connecting rod. I believe the rod is the same on the crank end.

Zach

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?