2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2023, 03:34 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Can't the same be said for Seattle?
haha, Only in the wet season.
Once summer hits, we practically dont see rain till late september/early october.
Somtimes we get sunlight showers, a "Kitsune Wedding." It's actually very similar to Austria, just not as cold.
But what I see from the UK, damn is a sunny sky a rarity. :P

The following users liked this post:
Urban Gorilla (05-02-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 04:23 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,479 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Why on earth would you swap the cam bearing every single time?
That makes no real sense. You'll loosen the cam bearing bore doing that, and add unnecessary risks of breaking a cam bearing pulling them out.
A reasonable risk for a DIY mechanic.
It's not really an "every single time" thing. Most people will only ever change the cam once or maybe twice in the life of their bike. Personally, I make a decision after a lot of research and then that is normally it. I only keep bikes for 3 or 4 years though.

If you use the proper tool, then there is very little chance of damaging anything, and the bearing is very cheap. So why not? Same reason I would use new bolts if I removed the heads.

Old 05-01-2023, 04:32 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,479 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
I'll chime in on this. HP doesn't affect the lifters per se, but high-performance lifters have different hydraulic control than OEM that allows them to react faster with each lift, keeping cam timing closer to what the cam manufacturer intended. Hydraulic "bleed" is better controlled with a high-perf lifter. When you add HP you usually raise the RPM limit, and valve control is critical at high RPM.
I agree. If you are in the cam chest to do your first cam swap, you should fit better quality lifters. It's maybe not necessary, but does seem to be good practice. There are many reports of stock lifters failing. I wouldn't do it again if I then changed to another cam unless it was radically different. In which case I probably would, just because these kind of parts tend to get to know each other well over time.

tngarren (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 05:56 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,790 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Thanks for all the experienced advice. Much appreciated. I'm going with the 22XE cam, Torrington-Koyo bearing, stock (plate, pump, lifter guides).

Seems I better replace the lifters as well. I'm leaning towards the Comp V Thunder lifters for around $100. I can spend another $80 to $190 and get Wood, S&S, or Feuling. I don't see the reason though.

Any disagreement?

'22 FXLRS w/ Tab slip-ons, stock heavy breather.

Old 05-01-2023, 08:36 PM
PNW Slim
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rigging up a bigger catch can. The little one fills up with water every 5 days.
Need one more fitting, also waiting on a FP4 so I can put the S&S manifold on thats staring me in the face.

Old 05-01-2023, 10:01 PM
YHNYDad
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
I don't think I responded to this in time, but I did want to say this pic and advice from @YHNYDad really made me re-think the air filter choice, and along with the 120th badge I got for my bike, I think the Arlen Ness filter is the better choice for me considering how much I ride twisty roads and hanging a bit off the bike.
Once the filter comes back in stock I'm gonna order it immediately and I'm not sure what I want to do with the Air Stinger intake I have sitting in the box.
Debating about selling it now.
So with some more miles with the BMF filter on it…I am noticing or more appropriately not noticing the size of the filter as much. But that may be partly from the fact that combined with the 14” bars my riding position has changed and I have compensated for it with my leg position/location while riding (knee on that side not always snuggled up to the tank) so not noticing as much. And the times I feel the need to snug both knees up to my tank that I notice it but barely cause I am paying more attention to the road and what’s around me and less attention to the filter cover pressed on my leg. So it has gotten more comfortable for me…plus after getting the bike Dyno’d…I am not changing it out for say the Arlen Ness one and then having to get it re-Dyno’d…my wallet is saying no way.
Maybe I’ll see next winter when I go to stage 2 and will need it re-Dyno’s then depending on how I feel after a full season of riding.

That said @FranBunnyFFXII I still stand by the recommendation I made previously. Think you’ll be happier with the Arlen Ness one when you are riding.

In terms of floorboards (have the Defiance ones) and brake pedal (with Softbrake brake pedal arm)…and I’m 5’9” in case this helps….I am having no issues with those 2 things. Foot fits on floorboard no problem and hasn’t changed my use of the break pedal.

FranBunnyFFXII (05-01-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 02:09 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,790 Likes on 1,192 Posts

I'm putting Feuling lifters in with a cam swap. Any thoughts on how important it is to pump the lifters full of oil before installing? Trying to decide if I need to buy a pump or special oil can tip.

Old 05-05-2023, 03:55 AM
Phil13
Road Master
Received 1,846 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by tngarren
I'm putting Feuling lifters in with a cam swap. Any thoughts on how important it is to pump the lifters full of oil before installing? Trying to decide if I need to buy a pump or special oil can tip.
Yes, pump them up with oil, it will save you listening to your bike rattling away while your brain screams at you, 'You forgot to tighten this....... turn it off, it's going to blow................why couldn't you just leave it alone' .

Just sort out a short piece of rubber or soft plastic pipe that fits over your oil can spout and hold that over the oil hole on the side of the lifter. That will be plenty good enough to get oil into them.

Last edited by Phil13; 05-05-2023 at 03:58 AM.
tngarren (05-05-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 07:03 AM
stormin08
Road Captain
Received 323 Likes on 219 Posts

get he appropriate tip on a small oil pump can. it can take a little bit of oil to get he air out of the lifter. the more full, and with out air the better. Makes the pushrod adjustment more accurate and less noisy

tngarren (05-05-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 10:22 AM
Roush
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Traded

I traded in my 2022 Low Rider S for a 2023 Heritage. Can’t wait for the accessories to come in!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Roush:
Old New Rider (05-05-2023), Urban Gorilla (05-05-2023)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?