2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2023, 08:16 AM
Harman
Cruiser
Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Replacement heat shields for Vance & Hines 3" Round Twin Slash Slip-On Mufflers

Low sided the bike yesterday. Wet, slick on-ramp. I was going very slow, maybe 20mph, as it had just finished raining. Soft ~90 degree turn, bike was neutral (wasn't braking or accelerating, just maintaining speed) when the back end came out like I was on ice. I'm fine. Jammed a finger. Glad for the crash bar. Front brake lever bent some. The muffler heat shields took the worst of it.
Does anyone have any information on purchasing replacement heat shields for Vance & Hines? I sent them a message this morning. I haven't heard back yet.

A little too much lean angle ...

Old 04-24-2023, 09:07 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,885 Likes on 3,702 Posts

Went for a coffee ride yesterday afternoon, and spied a young lad checking out the goods. I'm loving the new Breakout.

The following 2 users liked this post by strych9:
NZLowrider (04-25-2023), RGS88 (04-24-2023)
Old 04-24-2023, 10:28 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,995 Likes on 2,865 Posts

Originally Posted by Harman
Does anyone have any information on purchasing replacement heat shields for Vance & Hines? I sent them a message this morning. I haven't heard back yet.
I`m thinking those are not removable "heat shields"
The scarfed up part is the muffler itself

Old 04-24-2023, 10:30 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,995 Likes on 2,865 Posts

Originally Posted by RGS88
That was my first attempt, it's surprisingly easy on these things
It`s a lot tougher if you let go of the front brake and drop your azz on the seat at the same time ..

Old 04-24-2023, 10:39 AM
snake_eyes
Club Member
Received 1,237 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Harman
Low sided the bike yesterday. Wet, slick on-ramp. I was going very slow, maybe 20mph, as it had just finished raining. Soft ~90 degree turn, bike was neutral (wasn't braking or accelerating, just maintaining speed) when the back end came out like I was on ice. I'm fine. Jammed a finger. Glad for the crash bar. Front brake lever bent some. The muffler heat shields took the worst of it.

A little too much lean angle ...
Originally Posted by eighteight
I`m thinking those are not removable "heat shields"
The scarfed up part is the muffler itself
No, they're separate pieces. I've dealt with V&H several times via email, and they are very good. They'll get you taken care of, but if you're expecting a few hour response time, you're dreaming.

The following users liked this post:
Harman (04-24-2023)
Old 04-24-2023, 04:17 PM
Harman
Cruiser
Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by snake_eyes
No, they're separate pieces. I've dealt with V&H several times via email, and they are very good. They'll get you taken care of, but if you're expecting a few hour response time, you're dreaming.
Definitely separate pieces on mine as I've had them apart.

That's good to hear about V&H. Fingers crossed.
fyi - I checked on line and these slip-ons have increased $100 since I bought them 5/2019... $350 -> $450... I wish my salary was increasing at the same rate...

Old 04-24-2023, 07:49 PM
RGS88
Road Warrior
Received 1,992 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by eighteight
It`s a lot tougher if you let go of the front brake and drop your azz on the seat at the same time ..
Next up I would like to learn how to do a rolling burnout...

Dream would be getting good at wheelies as well, but I may be a couple years past my hooligan stage

Old 04-25-2023, 01:11 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Finally got that God dammed Voltage Regulator Cover installed, 3rd attempt at installing this ****in thing because of the CrashBar being in the way. A 10 to 15min install turned into 2 hours trying to figure out how to get around and install the thing.
Ultimately I had no choice but to remove the crash bar entirely, and install the cover, then put it all back together.
I had to uninstall the both floorbards, unlink the shifter linkage, the crash bar, And then unbolt the voltage regulator, just so I could swap 2 bolts, 2 spacers, and a damn cover.
Infuriating. But at least it's done now.
Sad news though is that my crashbar is starting to flake away paint. This isnt the only bung king product I have that started losing paint. I think they need to check their painting process. I might have to get this thing re-painted.
I wanted to get some legit pics but these are from my headcam, because the bastards closed down the cul-de-sac where I was going to take bike pics.

The following 6 users liked this post by FranBunnyFFXII:
Big Al 59 (04-25-2023), ChrisHo (04-29-2023), Lucy.K (05-02-2023), Old New Rider (04-25-2023), Urban Gorilla (04-25-2023), YHNYDad (04-25-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-25-2023, 01:13 AM
Glenn Gorman
Club Member
Received 1,188 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
Went for a coffee ride yesterday afternoon, and spied a young lad checking out the goods. I'm loving the new Breakout.

He's not looking at your bike.

Old 04-25-2023, 02:14 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 421 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Finally got that God dammed Voltage Regulator Cover installed, 3rd attempt at installing this ****in thing because of the CrashBar being in the way. A 10 to 15min install turned into 2 hours trying to figure out how to get around and install the thing.
Ultimately I had no choice but to remove the crash bar entirely, and install the cover, then put it all back together.
I had to uninstall the both floorbards, unlink the shifter linkage, the crash bar, And then unbolt the voltage regulator, just so I could swap 2 bolts, 2 spacers, and a damn cover.
Infuriating. But at least it's done now.
Sad news though is that my crashbar is starting to flake away paint. This isnt the only bung king product I have that started losing paint. I think they need to check their painting process. I might have to get this thing re-painted.
I wanted to get some legit pics but these are from my headcam, because the bastards closed down the cul-de-sac where I was going to take bike pics.
nice mod Fran, what is the stuf on the left side of the crahbar ?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?