2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 02:34 PM
Urban Gorilla
Tourer
Received 240 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
Not today, but last Friday I added the S&S 55mm hi-flow manifold to my Low Rider ST to replace the crappy plastic one. I also added the S&S "Air Stinger" A/C at the same time.
Nice mods!
Bummer about the side bag but at least its fixable with a bit of paint.

Originally Posted by adm
On Sunday, I took the Pan America out to do "BikeSafe", which is motorcycle tuition organised by the different Police forces here in the UK. It's meant to be an introduction to advanced riding technique, but even though I have done a lot of advanced training, I still do BikeSafe every year. I have now done it 5 times as it is just a great fun day out.
Thumbs up on Bike Safe
I've not been on one of the Bike Safe courses yet but have heard excellent stories about them.
I'm already a ROSPA Advanced Rider and Blood Biker but there's always something to learn.

Last edited by Urban Gorilla; 04-17-2023 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-17-2023, 02:59 PM
Urban Gorilla
Tourer

I had a condensation issue in the gauge the other weekend which I spoke to my dealer about last week and a potential warranty repair but still awaiting a reply!
Now, this past weekend, the friggin' fuel sender unit in the tank has packed up. My gauge is reading empty and fuel light is on despite having half a tank of gas.
I've also noted an intermittent low battery fob message.
Time to head to the dealer in person to get these things sorted out under warranty.

Old 04-17-2023, 03:48 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,790 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
Not today, but last Friday I added the S&S 55mm hi-flow manifold to my Low Rider ST to replace the crappy plastic one.
Good move. My '22 FXLRS went down on its right side. I patched and painted the heavy breather, good as new. The airbox backplate cracked so I had to replace it. Then the bike would idle at 2K when coasting but settle back to normal when stopped. Found a thread where another person had the same problem due to an intake manifold leak. Sure enough, there was a small crack in mine. All good now with an S&S 55mm. Shame on H-D for plastic manifolds.

The following users liked this post:
NZLowrider (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 05:40 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,479 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Gorilla
Thumbs up on Bike Safe
I've not been on one of the Bike Safe courses yet but have heard excellent stories about them.
I'm already a ROSPA Advanced Rider and Blood Biker but there's always something to learn.
I am an IAM advanced rider, and also a blood biker (Surrey/Sussex) - and as you say, there is always something to learn. In fact, I believe that it is exactly that mindset that lets us continue to improve our skills, which then makes us safer, but also smoother and faster too.

Give BikeSafe a go - it's really meant as an intro to advanced riding, but even if (like you and I), you are already up there on the skills tree, it's just fun to ride out with the Police and you will always learn something. And it's cheap at £65.

If I may make another recommendation, look up "Rapid Training". They are an advanced training organisation made up exclusively of ex-Police motorcyclists - mainly instructors and surveillance bods. They really know their **** and it's 1:1 training. Not cheap, but very, very good. I did a couple of days in Wales with one of their team last year and it was far and away the best motorcycle training I have ever done. And I have done quite a lot.

Urban Gorilla (04-18-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 05:51 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,479 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by tngarren
Good move. My '22 FXLRS went down on its right side. I patched and painted the heavy breather, good as new. The airbox backplate cracked so I had to replace it. Then the bike would idle at 2K when coasting but settle back to normal when stopped. Found a thread where another person had the same problem due to an intake manifold leak. Sure enough, there was a small crack in mine. All good now with an S&S 55mm. Shame on H-D for plastic manifolds.
I have a good friend with a Sport Glide who has exactly the same issue with the high idle, then dropping back down again. I have tried to tell him it is probably a crack in the plastic manifold. So far he is chasing HD for a fix. For a couple of hundred bucks and a couple of hours work, I would just do it myself (well...I already did).

The S&S part is really nice, decently priced - and sets my bike up nicely for when I do a Star 30/30 cam upgrade sometime soon. But yes, HD should have just used their aluminium SE manifold right out of the box. My local dealer tech also tells me that the plastic ones can swell up with temperature and time and not seal correctly.

The following 2 users liked this post by adm:
NZLowrider (04-17-2023), tngarren (04-17-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 11:39 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 322 Likes on 198 Posts

Color matched my side covers with Colorite rattle can products. Came out pretty good. I will wet sand and polish over the weekend.

Zach

The following 7 users liked this post by Biggzed:
Big Al 59 (04-18-2023), imoo6170 (04-18-2023), Lammy1000 (04-18-2023), NZLowrider (04-18-2023), relayer4u (04-18-2023), snake_eyes (04-18-2023), Urban Gorilla (04-18-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-18-2023, 12:08 PM
Klock20
Cruiser
Received 199 Likes on 86 Posts

Got my denton windscreen put on today

The following 5 users liked this post by Klock20:
Big Al 59 (04-18-2023), Biggzed (04-18-2023), relayer4u (04-18-2023), RGS88 (04-19-2023), Urban Gorilla (04-18-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 04:33 PM
Urban Gorilla
Tourer

Originally Posted by adm
I am an IAM advanced rider, and also a blood biker (Surrey/Sussex) - and as you say, there is always something to learn. In fact, I believe that it is exactly that mindset that lets us continue to improve our skills, which then makes us safer, but also smoother and faster too.

Give BikeSafe a go - it's really meant as an intro to advanced riding, but even if (like you and I), you are already up there on the skills tree, it's just fun to ride out with the Police and you will always learn something. And it's cheap at £65.

If I may make another recommendation, look up "Rapid Training". They are an advanced training organisation made up exclusively of ex-Police motorcyclists - mainly instructors and surveillance bods. They really know their **** and it's 1:1 training. Not cheap, but very, very good. I did a couple of days in Wales with one of their team last year and it was far and away the best motorcycle training I have ever done. And I have done quite a lot.
Thanks for the heads up and recommendation.
Probably go for a Bike Safe first then look into the Roadmaster Level 2 which looks like it would be the one for me.

I cover Wiltshire /North Somerset
...and for those that wonder what we're on about, check out Freewheelers EVS.

Old 04-18-2023, 07:14 PM
stormin08
Road Captain
Received 323 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggzed
Color matched my side covers with Colorite rattle can products. Came out pretty good. I will wet sand and polish over the weekend.

Zach

Gunship Grey ??? really wish that tank was the 5 gal...i love the graphic, just not he size of the tank

Old 04-18-2023, 07:53 PM
bobberzach
Stage II
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got in my Nelson Rigg Road trip saddlebags and the 12" Dean speed (1-1/4") beefy bars installed. Next up white walls and rear lowering kit.

Urban Gorilla (04-19-2023)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?