2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 07:31 PM
DaveyFB
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,089 Likes on 1,298 Posts

I know what I will be doing -probably this weekend
I saw this UPS notification come in, thought it was for something else
Nope, seat is supposed to be here tomorrow !!

I also have highway bars, new horn, fog lights, few other things to install
License plate move will be more involved
Supposed to rain all next week, good time to get er done

Old 04-12-2023, 07:25 AM
RGS88
Road Warrior
Received 1,992 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by Stretchman
Early in the season. I feel 'the same way. Overtime has kept me from being able to get out there and ride. I am giving second thoughts to Leesburg at the end of the month.
I figure my body will readjust at least a little now that it's saddle time again. Last year was rough with a newborn + mandatory OT. Now the kid goes to daycare and I decided not to work any more "optional" OT unless its convenient for me and the family. Should let me put on significantly more miles

Originally Posted by stormin08
guys... my normal Saturday or Sunday ride usually consist of a tank of fuel going, then one to return. easy 3-400 ish every outing unless it is a week night cruise trough town.
I'd like to say that *used* to be my normal, but even with with Road Glide I usually ended up with a sore butt/hips/back around 300 miles. I went through at least 5 seats too, if memory serves.

I could blame snowboarding crashes on the back, but perhaps it's just my bony butt and weak resolve to blame

Originally Posted by Bricklayer
Nothing wrong with needing to stretch at 160 miles. Im on a 2020 FXLR, when touring I usually get gas at about 100 mi and take a little break. But at 67 some people think I am old.
Well, I'm in the early half of my 30's, but I'll pretend we're even and use that to justify more breaks

The following users liked this post:
NZLowrider (04-12-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 07:43 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

If it makes you feel any better RGS88, 300 miles for me in a day put me down for the count the following 2~3 days. I got fibromyalgia so I wear out easily.
Everyone's got their own limits.
I've found that myself I can do maybe 100~150 miles in a day before I start really wearing out faster and faster by the day.

The following 3 users liked this post by FranBunnyFFXII:
Astro Glide (04-12-2023), NZLowrider (04-12-2023), RGS88 (04-12-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 09:32 AM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 345 Likes on 270 Posts

It was 79 degrees in Minneapolis yesterday. A week ago it was 28 degrees.

I counted 8 bikes out yesterday, but I'm not going out until sand is off the road and pot holes are filled. Sand on a curve is how I ended up with a pin and screw in my ankle and a mechanical knee.

Old 04-12-2023, 06:55 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27,884 Likes on 6,501 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
If it makes you feel any better RGS88, 300 miles for me in a day put me down for the count the following 2~3 days. I got fibromyalgia so I wear out easily.
Everyone's got their own limits.
I've found that myself I can do maybe 100~150 miles in a day before I start really wearing out faster and faster by the day.
Sorry to hear that you have that.

My wife was diagnosed with it years ago, which explained a lot of her health issues, so I understand what it's like, at least somewhat.

MY wife is a warrior tho. She rides with me when she feels pretty good, and last year we rode to Montana (damn near Canada) and back from Texas. We went in June and still hit some snow in the mountains. She can get rained on, snowed on, she never complains. Course we have all the gear, but still, she's tough to do that with health problems.

The following 4 users liked this post by LoneBone:
FranBunnyFFXII (04-12-2023), Lucy.K (04-23-2023), NZLowrider (04-13-2023), relayer4u (04-12-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 07:50 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by LoneBone
Sorry to hear that you have that.

My wife was diagnosed with it years ago, which explained a lot of her health issues, so I understand what it's like, at least somewhat.

MY wife is a warrior tho. She rides with me when she feels pretty good, and last year we rode to Montana (damn near Canada) and back from Texas. We went in June and still hit some snow in the mountains. She can get rained on, snowed on, she never complains. Course we have all the gear, but still, she's tough to do that with health problems.
Diagnostics for me began when I was 23, and ended up being diagnosed finally in September 2016. It's one of the biggest reasons I'm on disability now.
It was a real turn the world upside down. But now days, Anytime I can make a time for a ride, I try to get out there.
I can't imagine what it is like to see your partner decline like that, but It sounds like yall have it managed well, which is great.

LoneBone (04-12-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 07:59 PM
DaveyFB
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,089 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Took it for a Spin
I want to go for an hour ride, then put the new seat on & go for another hour ride
Will see, its going to be 80 Friday. Then cooler Temps for a week
Think I will wait & just enjoy the weather

Forgot I ordered it with the back rest
ordered March 19th, delivered today beat the Spring rush

Lucy.K (04-24-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 12:04 PM
stormin08
Road Captain
Received 323 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by RGS88
I figure my body will readjust at least a little now that it's saddle time again. Last year was rough with a newborn + mandatory OT. Now the kid goes to daycare and I decided not to work any more "optional" OT unless its convenient for me and the family. Should let me put on significantly more miles

I'd like to say that *used* to be my normal, but even with with Road Glide I usually ended up with a sore butt/hips/back around 300 miles. I went through at least 5 seats too, if memory serves.

I could blame snowboarding crashes on the back, but perhaps it's just my bony butt and weak resolve to blame

Well, I'm in the early half of my 30's, but I'll pretend we're even and use that to justify more breaks
you need to look into your riding posture...i am 48, 6-1" and 260. you need to really fit these styles to your body

Old 04-13-2023, 04:18 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

you need to look into your riding posture...i am 48, 6-1" and 260. you need to really fit these styles to your body
The biggest damage and stress to my back had nothing to do with my bike but had everything to do with sitting in office chairs all the time.
The damage and pain my back was getting from office chairs was making the pain come on sooner and more often on my bike.
I ended up switching to a Kneeling chair and then taking the back off an office chair and flipping it backwards, and they have dramatically improved my back health to almost having no pain what so ever in my back.(Outside of fibro issues).
Now It takes much longer if at all for the backpain to manifest while riding even with the racing seat on my bike.

Im so happy to not be in constant agonizing back pain anymore.

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 04-13-2023 at 04:21 PM.
Old New Rider (04-13-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 07:51 AM
RGS88
Road Warrior
Received 1,992 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
The biggest damage and stress to my back had nothing to do with my bike but had everything to do with sitting in office chairs all the time.

Im so happy to not be in constant agonizing back pain anymore.
I think a big portion of my issue also stems from workplace issues, mainly sitting in a crappy Ford Explorer all day with a duty belt on the hip. For the first 5 years on the job I kept a little pouch with gloves on the center of my back (stupid, I know), which I couldn't feel at the time. Fast forward a couple years and I got a bit smarter and rearranged my belt. My back doesn't hurt much any more, but my hips have certainly suffered some.

I do find myself slouching from time to time and I'm working at being better about that, in life in general and on the bike.

In more positive news, popped a couple Tylenol and put on another 200 miles with the crew yesterday. Puts me over 900 on the season so far!

FranBunnyFFXII (04-14-2023)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?