2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 11:42 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Ok so... I finally got to test ride the FOX Factory IFP-R QS3 monoshock.
And it's a fantastic upgrade. Stock rode pretty well so it had a lot to live up too.
The ride is SMOOTH, like the rear of the bike now feels like it glides.
There is more Lean angle for sure, I'm not sure by how much but I barely tapped a floorboard during one of the turns. With stock I could get through some turns with a floorboard dragging quite a few feet.
Interestingly the ability to flick the bike between alternating turns, like Chicanes, is actually faster and more aggressive now.
Under hard acceleration it seems the bike also squats less, and acceleration feels a bit more responsive. I did re-tension the belt because it was loose after swapping the shock.
The bike definitely rides more aggressively and sport like, but it also feels a bit less impactful over bumps, so it's so far feeling more comfortable too.
Interesting to see from a simple rear shock swap.
Right now I have the preload set to 160lbs(lowest possible), with Moderate(Soft<-Moderate->Firm) rebound.
I have not yet been able to test the shock to 130mph, fastest I had it out to is 105 so far.
Sitting on the bike when stationary and bouncing up and down on the seat it actually bounces down a bit more compared to stock, which was also set to 160lbs lowest setting. Stock barely moved at all, FOX has some give when I sit down in the seat now, a lot more like the other bikes I've sat on and ridden around.
All and All it seems like a fair and noticable improvement.

Unnecessary amount of snapshots for bike pics.

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 03-31-2023 at 12:15 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by FranBunnyFFXII:
Calif Fat Bob (03-31-2023), Lammy1000 (03-31-2023), Old New Rider (04-01-2023), relayer4u (03-31-2023), Urban Gorilla (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 12:54 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,926 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Ok so... I finally got to test ride the FOX Factory IFP-R QS3 monoshock.
And it's a fantastic upgrade. Stock rode pretty well so it had a lot to live up too.
The ride is SMOOTH, like the rear of the bike now feels like it glides.
There is more Lean angle for sure, I'm not sure by how much but I barely tapped a floorboard during one of the turns. With stock I could get through some turns with a floorboard dragging quite a few feet.
Interestingly the ability to flick the bike between alternating turns, like Chicanes, is actually faster and more aggressive now.
Under hard acceleration it seems the bike also squats less, and acceleration feels a bit more responsive. I did re-tension the belt because it was loose after swapping the shock.
The bike definitely rides more aggressively and sport like, but it also feels a bit less impactful over bumps, so it's so far feeling more comfortable too.
Interesting to see from a simple rear shock swap.
Right now I have the preload set to 160lbs(lowest possible), with Moderate(Soft<-Moderate->Firm) rebound.
I have not yet been able to test the shock to 130mph, fastest I had it out to is 105 so far.
Sitting on the bike when stationary and bouncing up and down on the seat it actually bounces down a bit more compared to stock, which was also set to 160lbs lowest setting. Stock barely moved at all, FOX has some give when I sit down in the seat now, a lot more like the other bikes I've sat on and ridden around.
All and All it seems like a fair and noticable improvement.

Unnecessary amount of snapshots for bike pics.
Is it stock length for your bike?
I want a 13" length for my Low rider S, which is 12.5" stock shock length.

Old 03-31-2023, 12:58 PM
stormin08
Road Captain
Received 323 Likes on 219 Posts

Great Description...i have the same on my bike and it is a far better riding experience.

i see this listed as the description...

{Shox IFP-QSR Monotube Shock For Harley

The IFP-R QS3 rear shock was designed to give you the comfort and control needed to keep you (and a passenger) happily eating up the miles and taming the twists and turns. With an internal floating piston to separate the nitrogen gas from the shock oil, the IFP-R shock will maintain damping control no matter how long you ride. The IFP-R’s wide range internal rebound control also has 12 distinct clicks, allowing you to tune the exact rebound rate to balance out your spring preload and keep your rear wheel firmly planted on the road. Adjustable rebound is extremely beneficial when your ideal spring preload requires either a very soft or very firm setting or if you have large ride load changes you want to accommodate. ’s IFP-R rebound adjustable design, combined with vehicle specific damping and linear spring rates gives you a confident connection to the road while soaking up the bumps, mile after mile.

Combine the IFP-R rear shock with the fork cartridge kit to get the best possible ride quality with the ultimate comfort and control.

Features:

• Gas-charged mono-tube, with Internal Floating Piston and Rebound adjustment (IFP-R)
  • QS3 - 3 position quick switch rebound adjust
  • 2" 6061-T6 aluminum type III hard anodized body
  • Spring preload setting guide marks
  • Fully rebuildable and revalveable
  • Advanced high-flow, deflective disk, velocity-sensitive damping
  • 5/8" low friction, super-finished hard chrome shaft}
In regards to your setting and preload, i have mine at 3 on the shock body for preload, and the 3 way selector in the mid position...i want to say that was described as RIDER W/ GEAR for the rebound dampening.
i still need to adjust and try other settings, but the SQUAT is for sure gone under heavy throttle, and the factory JARRING hits are no longer.

Great Choice.

Old 03-31-2023, 12:59 PM
stormin08
Road Captain
Received 323 Likes on 219 Posts

i do believe the only available right now is the 12.5. I chose to lower my 22 FXLRS.

Old 03-31-2023, 01:10 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
Is it stock length for your bike?
I want a 13" length for my Low rider S, which is 12.5" stock shock length.
Stock length for the M8 Fat Boy is 12.6inch.
So it lifted my rear by .4inch.
Originally Posted by stormin08
i do believe the only available right now is the 12.5. I chose to lower my 22 FXLRS.
13inch is out of stock, so you could wait to get the 13inch.
Or search around, it seems that some shops might have the 13inch in stock.
I really hope they didnt stop making them. These are pretty good.
EDIT: I didnt see your previous post above when I clicked reply to OldMike, lol. Oops.

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 03-31-2023 at 01:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
OldMike (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 01:47 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,926 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Stock length for the M8 Fat Boy is 12.6inch.
So it lifted my rear by .4inch.

13inch is out of stock, so you could wait to get the 13inch.
Or search around, it seems that some shops might have the 13inch in stock.
I really hope they didnt stop making them. These are pretty good.
EDIT: I didnt see your previous post above when I clicked reply to OldMike, lol. Oops.
Yes, 12.6" not 12.5 on mine.
Thanks!

Old 03-31-2023, 02:11 PM
Lammy1000
Cruiser
Received 77 Likes on 44 Posts

The Fox 13.5" on my 2020 Sportglide transformed the ride which was already good. Odd that Fox no longer lists the 13.5" for my bike. When checking belt deflection on bikes with longer shocks the deflection should be more than with standard shock. Longer shock forces swingarm downward, loosening belt which will then tighten as swingarm pivots upward when loaded.

Old 03-31-2023, 02:13 PM
Lammy1000
Cruiser
Received 77 Likes on 44 Posts

Fuel Moto has the 13.5" shock in stock.

Old 04-03-2023, 07:38 AM
Harman
Cruiser
Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

I dont care about those bikes. If I cared about those bikes I would have gotten one.
And no Im not turning a Clydesdale into a Race Horse.
I'm just making a Fat Boy just go faster and handle better.

You could say what you just said to literally anyone who's ever done any performance mod ever to any Harley ever. "Have you looked at a Ninja 600? Or a Hayabusa? Sounds like you'd be better off on one of those if you want to go faster," to anyone whos ever upgraded a cam.
I mean just look at King of the Baggers. It's ****ing awesome seeing them turn those big heavy touring rigs into track bikes. It's legit super cool.

I like THIS bike. I like making THIS bike to go faster and yet still look like it's almost stock.
Making this bike go faster and ride better, it's fun.
So I wish people would stop saying "well get a different bike" it misses the point of fun.

Plus the street bob and Lowrider S and Fat Bob don't have everything that I want like the Fat Boy does.
They don't have floorboards, and It wouldn't be worth the effort. I sat down on a Lowrider S with those mid controls and "HOLYSHIT HOW DOES ANYONE RIDE THIS ****ING THING?" because I got really long legs and it felt like I was squatting down. No such problem on a Fat Boy. Those boards, I feel right at home, practically perfect ergo once I installed that SoftBrake lever.
They don't have the style that I love. They're blacked out and I dont care for blacked out bikes, nor do I want to spend all the money to chrome it.
I like the big fat tire wheels. Neither bike strikes me as as beautiful and interesting as the Fat Boy. I don't walk into the dealership and see a Lowrider S and go "Damn I want one" but when I walk into a dealership and I see an M8 Fat Boy, "Damn I want one. I mean I own one... But damn I still want one." I've taken pics of the Fat Boys at the dealership a few times, and I'm still Excitedly happy seeing my own.

So no I wouldn't be happier on those bikes.
Making a Fat Boy go faster, and ride better, it's fun.
Watching people say "Wow I didn't know a Harley could go that fast" is awesome. Hell I was out ripping around the twisties a few months ago, and I had a bunch of teenagers come up to me and one of them say "Wow, you really know how to maneuver that bike."
It's kinda awesome when a buncha teens take a sec to admire something other than themselves.

The only other M8 Softail I really wanted From Harley was the M8 Deluxe, and they discontinued that bike. But I liked the style it had with the LightBars and Tombstone, and the heavy chrome, and the Heritage is just different enough to not scratch that itch.
Besides, sport riding isn't the only kind of riding I do. I also have a setup for my bike for touring. I got 2 different touring seats, and a sissybar with a luggage rack, and a Windshield and am looking into getting some better touring bags for MotoCamping and stuff like that.
Fat Boy is a great platform for Touring stuff.
So yeah, Fat Boy is the ideal bike for me.
I'm immensely happy with it, and I still would buy another if I could.
Soon after buying the Slim I added a Progressive 13.5" shock to gain some ground clearance as I was scraping floorboards.
After the longer shock, it was better but I was still scraping floorboards.
Adding longer fork dampers from TrackerDie solved that.

2019 Harley Davidson Softail Slim - Longer Fork Dampers - TrackerDie 49mm Damper Tubes

Old 04-03-2023, 10:38 AM
snake_eyes
Club Member
Received 1,237 Likes on 725 Posts

Couple of things done to the wife's FXBBS. Got rid of that stupid, ugly *** plastic box under the tank. super easy job since the tank comes of so easy on the new bikes. Tucked the wires in the backbone and completely disconnected the USB connector. I can't imagine she'd ever use it anyway. I also added a CustomDynamics taillight to give her more visibility. It's retrofitted from a Breakout. Don't look at the pics too hard, seems like after all my caution it is a hair off center on the fender.

The following 2 users liked this post by snake_eyes:
murphc13 (04-03-2023), Urban Gorilla (04-03-2023)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?