2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 05:00 PM
Gripfxbbs
Cruiser
Received 147 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggzed
The black tubes and lifter blocks are the way these motors should have come. Nice work.

Zach
agree. Chrome belongs in the trash.

Old 03-28-2023, 05:08 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,790 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Put on Oberon adjustable levers on my FXLRS. Arrived from UK to US in 3 days. They must have chartered a direct flight to me. Excellent quality, great feel. However, the clutch lever does not engage the housing switch in any of the adjustable positions. Product description did say this might happen when the lever is positioned closest to the grip.

Easy fix as I cut a small metal shim and attached with JB Weld to where the lever meets the switch. Not sure a why a quality product is not cast with a tab to appropriately engage the switch, or a least shipped with shims to correct as needed. Would I buy Oberons again? It's early but I think so.

Last edited by tngarren; 03-28-2023 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:57 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Originally Posted by tngarren
Put on Oberon adjustable levers on my FXLRS. Arrived from UK to US in 3 days. They must have chartered a direct flight to me. Excellent quality, great feel. However, neither lever engages the housing switch in any of the adjustable positions. Product description did say this might happen when the lever is positioned closest to the grip.

Easy fix as I cut a small metal shim and attached with JB Weld to where the lever meets the switch. Not sure a why a quality product is not cast with a tab to appropriately engage the switch, or a least shipped with shims to correct as needed. Would I buy Oberons again? It's early but I think so.
Interesting. My right side Oberon lever wont engage the brakelight switch all the way sometimes. I was going to replace it but it got cold and I didnt want to work on the bike at all.
I took a strip of 3M tape and put it between the switch and the lever body, and for the most part that works.
Before that it was having lots of issues engaging the brakelights and turning them off, and it'd kick off cruise control randomly, or not let me turn curise on, which is hella annoying.

The following users liked this post:
tngarren (03-28-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 07:12 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,790 Likes on 1,192 Posts

I adjusted the right side (brake) housing position, and I got the Oberon lever to engage the switch correctly. I found no way to get the clutch lever to do the same sans a shim.

Old 03-28-2023, 08:02 PM
RGS88
Road Warrior
Received 1,992 Likes on 781 Posts

Let's say a guy really wanted a Thunderheader exhaust, but hated chrome and didn't want black.

What are the general thoughts on stripping the chrome and trying to acquire a brushed stainless look on such a thing? Thunderheader doesn't make that option, and so far my inquiries on obtaining one have gone unanswered.

Old 03-28-2023, 11:59 PM
Gripfxbbs
Cruiser
Received 147 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by RGS88
Let's say a guy really wanted a Thunderheader exhaust, but hated chrome and didn't want black.

What are the general thoughts on stripping the chrome and trying to acquire a brushed stainless look on such a thing? Thunderheader doesn't make that option, and so far my inquiries on obtaining one have gone unanswered.
have you looked into the process of stripping chrome?

i know you can polish chrome with a 3M scuff pad and achieve a brushed look. Kinda kills the chrome mirror effect. But its just dull chrome. Looks nothing like stainless.

i have never looked into the thunder header. What is so good about it? Or do you just want a different look?

Old 03-29-2023, 04:22 PM
RGS88
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Gripfxbbs
have you looked into the process of stripping chrome?

i know you can polish chrome with a 3M scuff pad and achieve a brushed look. Kinda kills the chrome mirror effect. But its just dull chrome. Looks nothing like stainless.

i have never looked into the thunder header. What is so good about it? Or do you just want a different look?
I've not looked into it yet, but I will now

It's a combination of it being a longer exhaust to help with overall power numbers, I like how they look (minus the chrome), and I'm a fan of the sound.

Don't get me wrong I like my Sawicki, but I also just enjoy trying new exhausts!

The following users liked this post:
Gripfxbbs (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 04:36 PM
slee93
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

I've not looked into it yet, but I will now

It's a combination of it being a longer exhaust to help with overall power numbers, I like how they look (minus the chrome), and I'm a fan of the sound.

Don't get me wrong I like my Sawicki, but I also just enjoy trying new exhausts!
I could be wrong, but I believe the “chrome” thunderheaders for m8 bikes are stainless pipes with chrome heat shields…….

Old 03-29-2023, 05:30 PM
RGS88
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by slee93
I could be wrong, but I believe the “chrome” thunderheaders for m8 bikes are stainless pipes with chrome heat shields…….
Interesting, I'll try sending another email, my last one to them went unanswered... Seems like they could just pull one off the assembly line before it went to get chromed, if one was specifically requested.

Old 03-29-2023, 05:56 PM
slee93
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Interesting, I'll try sending another email, my last one to them went unanswered... Seems like they could just pull one off the assembly line before it went to get chromed, if one was specifically requested.
they historically have the worst customer service in the motorcycle industry, ESPECIALLY if you’re not a dealer for them. Good luck getting a response!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?