2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 05:19 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenelz
I like the tread on those Bridgestones, it looks like it would be good in rain. Although I don't ride in the rain on purpose anymore. I wonder if there is any diffence in the making of a front vs. rear other than the arrow. (drive vs driven rubber overlay).

Here is my tripple 8 Meztler, indy says they are a little harder compound, should last longer. No canyons to carve in Florida.....
Front Tread pattern is designed to evacuate water and it's meant to be reversed so that it works while braking.
The very large channels on my front tire are great for storing a lot of water that it moves out of the way and then expells it out the side.
It definitely handles freeway rides in torrential downpours better than the stock tires. Because the main tread channels go across the whole tire, water cant get trapped in one area and overload the amount of water it can evacuate.
That's one of the biggest reasons I went with this tire setup in the first place, Seattle Rain meant I needed better water evacuation since my bike is my only vehicle and I need it year round.
These tires handle excellently in the wet, except that the rear likes to break loose under high throttle on wet surfaces. Otherwise though it's great.

The following users liked this post:
Kenelz (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 05:57 AM
Spivitz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,412 Likes on 2,300 Posts

Not today Cuz it's gon b about 20 degrees colder but yesterday I was able to rip it a bit.

It was therapeutic

Henboykin (01-29-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 06:58 AM
Kenelz
Tourer
Received 216 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Gorman
Received a delivery from Dennis Kirk today.

I ordered the Magnum Shielding Lower ABS Brake Line in Stainless for a clearance price of $53.

Also ordered the Motion Pro rear alignment tool and their belt tension guide.

i wouldn't have bought the tools, but adding them to the cart gave me free shipping.

Well, you need those tools to do the periodic mainenance yourself. I have the older Motion Pro gauge, its much longer. I use it the old way, but am thinking of modifing it to come off the flat like yours does. I bought a couple of corks from Lowes, and put a center point on it to sick in the axle to gauge off of. So far I havent needed to move anything, but only have 11,000 miles on it. Anther tool needed that is cheap on ebay is the brake fluid moisture checker.

Old 01-28-2023, 09:41 PM
RGS88
Road Warrior
Received 1,992 Likes on 781 Posts

Not necessarily something I did to my bike, rather for it... Borrowed my friend's trailer so I can haul it up to Fuel Moto on Monday for the cam install. Naturally our Wisconsin weather had to kick in just in time to make hauling a new trailer around a bit more interesting

The following 2 users liked this post by RGS88:
Durham man (01-29-2023), relayer4u (01-28-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 03:04 AM
murphc13
Tourer
Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenelz
I had an Indy put a new rear tire on the FB yesterday, it had 10,985 miles on it, I went with a Metzler 888. I put around 70 miles on it today, I can's say it feels any different. The old was flattened off quite a bit. The front was replaced almost 2,000 miles before this, first time for me a rear has outlasted a front. The right side was bald, and the left side in the same area was like new. I thought it was a suspension problem, but dealer says "normal", lol. Anywas, it was was replaced at the dealer with the OEM Scorcher.
removing at least the rear wheel on my fat bob looks a little more hassle than it was in my previous sport bikes.Do Harley screw us on changing tyres when the bike is brought in vs bringing the wheel in?

Old 01-29-2023, 05:48 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by RGS88
Not necessarily something I did to my bike, rather for it... Borrowed my friend's trailer so I can haul it up to Fuel Moto on Monday for the cam install. Naturally our Wisconsin weather had to kick in just in time to make hauling a new trailer around a bit more interesting

I know you were debating on the bigger 5.5 injectors. What did fuel moto recommend?

Old 01-29-2023, 10:27 AM
RGS88
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Durham man
I know you were debating on the bigger 5.5 injectors. What did fuel moto recommend?
Nothing yet.. I read through their website and then started digging through the Dyno charts. Power numbers and dyno graph looked very, very close between the bike with the bigger injectors vs stock injectors. I'm dropping it off a day early so I figured I'd chat with them in person about it (parts are in stock so it shouldn't be an issue to buy it then and there).

I hate trying to communicate via email so I'd rather just ask face-to-face

The following 2 users liked this post by RGS88:
Durham man (01-29-2023), FranBunnyFFXII (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 11:07 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by RGS88
Nothing yet.. I read through their website and then started digging through the Dyno charts. Power numbers and dyno graph looked very, very close between the bike with the bigger injectors vs stock injectors. I'm dropping it off a day early so I figured I'd chat with them in person about it (parts are in stock so it shouldn't be an issue to buy it then and there).

I hate trying to communicate via email so I'd rather just ask face-to-face
I would say good luck with it but no need to as your bike is in great hands.

RGS88 (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 12:39 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

I'm quite interested in hearing the feedback about 5.5gram injectors.
Seems like a good idea to cover tuning range, but if they aren't necessary that'd also be good to know.

RGS88 (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 12:47 PM
RGS88
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
I'm quite interested in hearing the feedback about 5.5gram injectors.
Seems like a good idea to cover tuning range, but if they aren't necessary that'd also be good to know.
From what Jamie (or whomever runs the FM account here) has said, it sounds like only some cams truly require the bigger injectors to reach max potential. If I'm missing out on 1-2 HP on the top end retaining my stock injectors, and safety or longevity isn't compromised, I don't know that $320 for new injectors is really worth it to me. I know I won't be doing a big bore kit in the future so I can't even justify it as being needed in the future.

But, I'll talk to the pros and then make my decision

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?