2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 01:02 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Originally Posted by Monteman1971
Added heated grips now that the weather is changing. Not difficult but time consuming.

Steve

I need to do this, do you have any advice?
How did you thread the cable into the handlebar? How easy was it?

The following users liked this post:
Monteman1971 (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 01:38 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 322 Likes on 198 Posts

If the heated grips are canbus, they should fit through the bars without de-pinning. Should be a pretty easy install. I would suggest that heated gloves are far more effective than heated grips. Just something to think about.

Zach

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII

Monteman1971 (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 01:40 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Biggzed
If the heated grips are canbus, they should fit through the bars without de-pinning. Should be a pretty easy install. I would suggest that heated gloves are far more effective than heated grips. Just something to think about.

Zach
I already have heated gloves. But heated grips dont run on batteries and are always there and dont make me cable myself in if I want to run non battery gloves.
but my fingers are very cold sensitive. And Im changing out my grips anyways because I dont want flat black rubber grips on my bike.
So it's a double hitter for me.

The following 2 users liked this post by FranBunnyFFXII:
Biggzed (10-11-2022), Monteman1971 (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 09:10 PM
Monteman1971
Road Captain
Received 190 Likes on 126 Posts

Fran, you actually posted this. I watched a lot of utube before doing the job and this is the best one for our Fat Boys.

I used a piece of weed Wacker cord to thread the handle bar. Make it twice as long so you can pull it back up after you thread each wire harness. The video shows doing both at the same time but that's never going to work for us. I sent the larger connector down first and then the smaller one. Remember you'll need the wire adaptor kit.

And what they don't show is that we have a counter weight in the left handle bar. Grab the edge with a vise grip and twist it back and forth as you pull it out, It doesn't get used for our application.

One last thing... all Harley heated grips are not equal. They all do fit but some of them want you to run one of the wires externally (which I didn't want) The ones I picked are the "Kahunas"

Steve

FranBunnyFFXII (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 09:17 PM
Monteman1971
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Biggzed

Zach
I have the heated gloves and although they do work well, they are typically very bulky and difficult to get on and off with the wires or battery. Mine plug into my coat, it is a chore to use them.

Used the heated grips for the first time tonight and it was nice to just turn the dial and have heat.

But in reality it's a no win situation. Because your either heating just the top of your hand or the bottom. If your a true hard core cold winter rider... you may want to use both...lol.

Steve

Old 10-11-2022, 09:18 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Fran, you actually posted this. I watched a lot of utube before doing the job and this is the best one for our Fat Boys.
https://youtu.be/kwx87CVNfq8

I used a piece of weed Wacker cord to thread the handle bar. Make it twice as long so you can pull it back up after you thread each wire harness. The video shows doing both at the same time but that's never going to work for us. I sent the larger connector down first and then the smaller one. Remember you'll need the wire adaptor kit.

And what they don't show is that we have a counter weight in the left handle bar. Grab the edge with a vise grip and twist it back and forth as you pull it out, It doesn't get used for our application.

One last thing... all Harley heated grips are not equal. They all do fit but some of them want you to run one of the wires externally (which I didn't want) The ones I picked are the "Kahunas"

Steve
Thanks. I love the advice. Anything else you got is a welcome tidbit.
I got the Empire heated grips, which are internal just like the Kahuna.
I also got the kit the guy in the video said to get.

I need to figure out a way to handle the soldering with my circumstances.
Thanks for the advice. Weed whacker cord I didnt think of before.

Old 10-12-2022, 01:22 AM
Glenn Gorman
Club Member
Received 1,188 Likes on 560 Posts

I used everything but weedwacker string when I put my new bars on. Dam, wish that I had thought it. But I just bought a new air compressor which should blow anything through the bars if I need to.

Old 10-12-2022, 08:14 AM
Monteman1971
Road Captain

Thanks. I love the advice. Anything else you got is a welcome tidbit.
I got the Empire heated grips, which are internal just like the Kahuna.
I also got the kit the guy in the video said to get.

I need to figure out a way to handle the soldering with my circumstances.
Thanks for the advice. Weed whacker cord I didnt think of before.
The kit comes with butt connectors that you can use. I don't really recommend them but they will work. The kit also comes with new terminals if you know how to de-pin a connector and add those in. I soldered mine. A soldering iron is cheap at any hardware store. Remember to get heat shrink tubing to keep everything safe. You can use electrical tape but not the preferred way. You can also buy heat shrink tube at any hardware store. You don't need a fancy heat gun to shrink them, a lighter works fine.

Steve

Last edited by Monteman1971; 10-12-2022 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-12-2022, 08:16 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

The kit comes with butt connectors that you can use. I don't really recommend them but they will work. The kit also comes with new terminals if you know how to de-pin a connector and add those in. I soldered mine. A soldering iron is cheap at any hardware store. Remember to get heat shrink tubing to keep everything safe. You can use electrical tape but not the preferred way. You can also buy heat shrink tube at any hardware store. You don't need a fancy heat gun to shrink them, a lighter .

Steve
I have a high temp heatgun for soldering sleeves, and I have a 30w soldering iron. Problem is I don't have access to an outlet to use them where my bike is at.

Monteman1971 (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 08:22 AM
murphc13
Tourer
Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

I have a high temp heatgun for soldering sleeves, and I have a 30w soldering iron. Problem is I don't have access to an outlet to use them where my bike is at.
long extension lead?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?