2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2022, 10:53 PM
YHNYDad
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

On my 2018 FLFBS, changed out Engine Guard for Bung King High Step Crashbar, changed out my passenger pegs for @FranBunnyFFXII’s dk customs/bung king customized passenger peg crashbar slider setup for the 2018 Fat Boy since the BK dedicated ones won’t work on the 2018s. Installed the Softbreak pedal arm with holes (standard size) per her recommendation as well (really a good upgrade. I use my rear brake a lot and it’s so much better now not having to lift my foot up to get to the pedal and easy to install). Installed new HD Defiance floorboards to match the rest of the parts I have installed before they become unavailable as the defiance series is being discontinued. Installed new mounting hardware for the Ciro3D cup holder to mount onto crashbar in the same location I had it when mounted previously to the HD engine guard. And mounted the Gremlin bell with mounting plate that my wife got me as a present onto the crashbar as well. She got the Maple Leaf as I am Canadian.

The crashbar really blends in with the bike frame and bike like Fran said in previous posts. Was not sure about taking off more chrome off the bike…but really like how it looks with the new black crashbar.

Pics taken at Storm King Highway Lookout (Cornwall on Hudson, NY) went for 107 mile ride today. 😁 Beautiful day for a ride. Lots of bikes on the road today. Lookout was packed with riders.

Happy 4th to all who celebrate it.

The following 3 users liked this post by YHNYDad:
FranBunnyFFXII (07-05-2022), HarleyDEU (08-14-2022), Kenelz (07-04-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 03:20 PM
Breham
Intermediate
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Well a lot in fact, picked up my new bike and did, forward controls, laydown plate, SE ventilator, whiplash seat and Heinz front and rear indicators. Just have to wait for Bassani road rage 2 to come in and bike will be done.

The following 3 users liked this post by Breham:
imoo6170 (07-04-2022), Kenelz (07-04-2022), WellAimedRound (07-04-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 06:37 PM
boblesk
Cruiser
Received 153 Likes on 63 Posts

Took the Fat Boy out for a cool windy ride down to the dock close to my house

The following 4 users liked this post by boblesk:
Glenn Gorman (07-05-2022), krvnrch (10-23-2022), WellAimedRound (07-06-2022), YHNYDad (07-05-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 06:38 AM
Steve Sportster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,258 Likes on 1,096 Posts

Changed spark plugs yesterday. 29.2k miles on my Heritage. Not a big deal at all. Just removed the seat, loosened the front gas tank bolt and removed the rear bolt. Tilted the rear of the tank up and wedged a piece of 1x2 inch wood to keep it up. Access with a wobble and extension was easy on the right side. The Service Manual method is much more involved.

Old 07-06-2022, 07:17 AM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 552 Likes on 350 Posts

Just got the sissy bar and pad installed last week on the 2019 Heritage. Just in time for Gettysburg this afternoon. No pic to share.

I must say the "tie-down" points were somewhat easier for the large HD luggage than on the 02 Wide Glide. To avoid scratching anything and to have a solid grab, I used four 2-loop straps around my docking points. I do, however, miss being able to use the rear turn signal bar since it is fat and rounded on the Heritage. The luggage does slide around somewhat but nothing to be concerned with. I have 8 bungees so I think I am ok LOL

Old 07-06-2022, 07:34 AM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 552 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by YHNYDad
On my 2018 FLFBS, changed out Engine Guard for Bung King High Step Crashbar, changed out my passenger pegs for @FranBunnyFFXII’s dk customs/bung king customized passenger peg crashbar slider setup for the 2018 Fat Boy since the BK dedicated ones won’t work on the 2018s. Installed the Softbreak pedal arm with holes (standard size) per her recommendation as well (really a good upgrade. I use my rear brake a lot and it’s so much better now not having to lift my foot up to get to the pedal and easy to install). Installed new HD Defiance floorboards to match the rest of the parts I have installed before they become unavailable as the defiance series is being discontinued. Installed new mounting hardware for the Ciro3D cup holder to mount onto crashbar in the same location I had it when mounted previously to the HD engine guard. And mounted the Gremlin bell with mounting plate that my wife got me as a present onto the crashbar as well. She got the Maple Leaf as I am Canadian.

The crashbar really blends in with the bike frame and bike like Fran said in previous posts. Was not sure about taking off more chrome off the bike…but really like how it looks with the new black crashbar.

Pics taken at Storm King Highway Lookout (Cornwall on Hudson, NY) went for 107 mile ride today. 😁 Beautiful day for a ride. Lots of bikes on the road today. Lookout was packed with riders.

Damn damn. I was looking to go with the Defiance accessories but NEXT YEAR uggh. I like the black and chrome mix (not just he black) all except for the floorboard. I think I want the full support there. I wasn't ready to spend $1000 on the full set since I have already done a bunch of upgrades this year.

Looks great by the way!

The following users liked this post:
YHNYDad (07-09-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 03:41 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior
Received 599 Likes on 361 Posts

Replaced the straight 10" riser with a 2" pullback 10" riser. Also replaced the dipstick with the fueling vented dipstick.

Last edited by HD_fan; 07-06-2022 at 03:44 PM.
Calif Fat Bob (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 09:07 PM
geoaero
Cruiser
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts

2" tank lift. Needed to raise the tank a bit to fit with the apes.

Tried taking the small plastic box out that contains a few wires and the USB connector - hoping to clean up the area under the tank - but those two ABS brake lines really stood out bad. So I put the box back. I can live with it.

The following 2 users liked this post by geoaero:
Rabianegra (07-07-2022), snake_eyes (07-14-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 06:17 AM
Doublefelix
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by YHNYDad

tell me more about that brake setup. Where to get and how much. That might save me from putting pegs on.

YHNYDad (07-09-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 12:04 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublefelix
tell me more about that brake setup. Where to get and how much. That might save me from putting pegs on.
It's a SoftBrake extended brake Leaver, same one I put on my bike.
https://softbrake.com/product/softbr...18-to-present/
On it there's a Defiance brake pedal from HD.
https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...rge/p/50600257

YHNYDad (07-09-2022)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?