2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 02:55 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Originally Posted by Durham man
If you can show me 1 m8 ‘s piston tops that are clean (no carbon build up) from running any kind of venting system weather it be venting through the air cleaner or trask trans vent I will buy. Knock your self out , because you won’t!. If you are not pissing oil out of your air cleaner it’s a waste of $. I am running a 22xE cam (hard) and my filter is dry. If it ain’t broken treat it like a sore dk, don’t fk with it!
I mean whether it helps with carbon build up or not is irrelevant. It does remove blowby and oil getting spat into the aircleaner.
It does also reduce the parasitic loss if an unvented engine.
People consistently report that the bike feels better. So we'll see.

Old 06-17-2022, 03:15 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,926 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
No that is a completely different issue.
The transmission case, Oil tank, and engine all share the same air volume. They are all directly interconnected and have air passage ways that pressure distributes around them.
It's like a Studio apartment, with the bathroom door open.

Primary Vent was only for Touring bikes with a Hydraulic Clutch.
Vented Dipsticks and Transmission vents are for all M8 engines.

And no, none of the M8s have any venting improvement designs, because these vents are illegal according to EPA guidelines.
It is illegal for any motor company to sell an EPA regulated road vehicle that vents oil spray/blowby/bypass to the atmosphere. It Must be re-ingested into the manifold or the blowby must remain inside of the engine system.
Racing Vehicles do not have to adhere to this, as they are not for road usage.

The anti-sumping solutions and crankcase sealing is in the Oil pump, in the form of a higher flow Gerotor setup, and a case crank seal on the back of the oil pump, which keeps the crank case from building up oil.

Transvent/Dipstick Vent and Primary vent, entirely different things for different problems.

On a different note:
You can see the pathway I snaked the vent hose around from this frame. I went over some of the install footage I have on my head cam.
The passage in the transmission cover that the Trask vent taps into goes from the engine to the oil tank. I'm not aware of sharing with the transmission.

The following users liked this post:
cwsharp (06-18-2022)
Old 06-17-2022, 03:19 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by OldMike
The passage in the transmission cover that the Trask vent taps into goes from the engine to the oil tank. I'm not aware of sharing with the transmission.
**** yeah you're right. Correction.
The trans cover vents the engine to the oil tank, but does not vent to the transmission.
The cover seals off the oil tank from the transmission, The transmission vents itself through the cover.
It just happens that the Transmission cover is the ideal pathway to add a venting for the engine.

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 06-17-2022 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-17-2022, 03:21 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I mean whether it helps with carbon build up or not is irrelevant. It does remove blowby and oil getting spat into the aircleaner.
It does also reduce the parasitic loss if an unvented engine.
People consistently report that the bike feels better. So we'll see.
the biggest problem with an engine eating it’s own $hit is carbon build up! That’s what you are trying to avoid!! With that mode!

Old 06-17-2022, 03:21 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Durham man
If you can show me 1 m8 ‘s piston tops that are clean (no carbon build up) from running any kind of venting system weather it be venting through the air cleaner or trask trans vent I will buy. Knock your self out , because you won’t!. If you are not pissing oil out of your air cleaner it’s a waste of $. I am running a 22xE cam (hard) and my filter is dry. If it ain’t broken treat it like a sore dk, don’t fk with it!
I think oil past the rings, partially due to engine braking, plus the ingredients in the gas we use contribute to carbon buildup. So, bypassing the air cleaner is not that big of a deal.
I do agree that there are a lot of pictures showing bad carbon buildup but not too many showing the benefits of bypassing.

Old 06-17-2022, 03:24 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member

**** yeah you're right.
The trans cover vents the engine and oiltank, but does not vent the transmission.
It just happens that the Transmission cover is the ideal pathway, and it covers the engine oil tank too.
Thanks for the correction.
The stock trans cover does vent the transmission and passes engine air to the oil tank.

Old 06-17-2022, 03:26 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by OldMike
The stock trans cover does vent the transmission and passes engine air to the oil tank.
God dammit, I'm misfiring a cylinder today.
Yeah you're right.

OldMike (06-17-2022)
Old 06-17-2022, 07:49 PM
gv550
Cruiser
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

This is my ‘21

it appears to be a rubber hose vented to atmosphere, no filter unless there is a tiny one shoved inside.
How is the Trask an improvement from this?

Old 06-17-2022, 07:53 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by gv550
This is my ‘21
it appears to be a rubber hose vented to atmosphere, no filter unless there is a tiny one shoved inside.
How is the Trask an improvement from this?
Because that's not an oil tank/Engine case vent.

That's the Transmission Vent.
Under the transmission cover there are 3 chambers. 2 of which are sealed off from each other, and then 1 that has a notch that allows air pressure from the Transmission case to move into the middle chamber, which is what that Vent tube leads too.
That Vent 2 is the 2nd Chamber's breather tube.

The chamber that the TRASK and all of the vented transcase vents use is putting a vent in Oiltank chamber. You put a whole in that right most chamber, and then vent it out to the atmosphere.
The side that I'm touching with my finger in the 2nd photo, that's the oil tank top with the reed valve in it. That is what the TRASK's vent tube fitting is attached to.

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 06-17-2022 at 07:59 PM.
gv550 (06-17-2022)
Old 06-17-2022, 07:56 PM
gv550
Cruiser
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Gotcha, thanks.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?