2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 12:29 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 979 Likes on 670 Posts

Made my own vented covers a few months ago, like FranBunnyFFXII said the bolt are a p..a ..

I did this mod on all my M8's and it works great, below a example on my FXFBS

On my FXFBS

FXFBS, you also see the vented dipstick I made previous

FXFBS , replaced the dipstick with another one of my creations

Oneway valve in the making

Oneway valve

The kit...

Old 06-17-2022, 12:36 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Originally Posted by MoneyFor
Made my own vented covers a few months ago, like FranBunnyFFXII said the bolt are a p..a ..

I did this mod on all my M8's and it works great, below a example on my FXFBS [...] FXFBS, you also see the vented dipstick I made previous
FXFBS , replaced the dipstick with another one of my creations
Interesting. Where did you route the tubing?
Also as for the dipstick, I highly suggest one of the Temperature Dipsticks. I like it on my bike.
Was 60$, worth.

Old 06-17-2022, 12:46 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 979 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Interesting. Where did you route the tubing?.

Just up and then behind the side cover

Also as for the dipstick, I highly suggest one of the Temperature Dipsticks. I like it on my bike.
Was 60$, worth.
I already have this one , bought 3pcs for about the price you quote, one is still in the box because I wanted to drive around with my own creation for a while.

FLFB

FXBB

Old 06-17-2022, 01:05 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Aaah. I see. good placement. I might cut the tubing shorter and move my filter up but, do I want to do that much more work? Unless it presents a problem.. probably not.

Old 06-17-2022, 08:27 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Can one of you explain to this M-8 newbie of why this is a good idea? Is this a design defect?

TIA

Old 06-17-2022, 08:31 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by cwsharp
Can one of you explain to this M-8 newbie of why this is a good idea? Is this a design defect?

TIA
Removes blowby oil. Cleaner air ingestion. Venting helps remove crank case pressure, which was a hypothetical attributing factor to engine sumping.
This also allows the pistons to move more freely due to removing extra case pressure.

Old 06-17-2022, 12:52 PM
gv550
Cruiser
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Removes blowby oil. Cleaner air ingestion. Venting helps remove crank case pressure, which was a hypothetical attributing factor to engine sumping.
This also allows the pistons to move more freely due to removing extra case pressure.
But.... you are venting the transmission case, right? How can that affect engine crankcase pressure and sumping?
Isn't the trans vent supposed to prevent oil transfer to the primary?
And I believe this issue has been corrected on later models by Harley, with a new and improved vent.

Last edited by gv550; 06-17-2022 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-17-2022, 01:14 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by gv550
But.... you are venting the transmission case, right? How can that affect engine crankcase pressure and sumping?
Isn't the trans vent supposed to prevent oil transfer to the primary?
And I believe this issue has been corrected on later models by Harley, with a new and improved vent.
No that is a completely different issue.
The transmission case, Oil tank, and engine all share the same air volume. They are all directly interconnected and have air passage ways that pressure distributes around them.
It's like a Studio apartment, with the bathroom door open. EDIT: It just happens that the transmisson cover is the place where all 3 meet, and modding that cover allows you to run a vent.
The transmission is not connected to the engine and oil tank, as the cover seals them off from each other.

Primary Vent was only for Touring bikes with a Hydraulic Clutch.
Vented Dipsticks and Transmission vents are for all M8 engines.

And no, none of the M8s have any venting improvement designs, because these vents are illegal according to EPA guidelines.
It is illegal for any motor company to sell an EPA regulated road vehicle that vents oil spray/blowby/bypass to the atmosphere. It Must be re-ingested into the manifold or the blowby must remain inside of the engine system.
Racing Vehicles do not have to adhere to this, as they are not for road usage.

The anti-sumping solutions and crankcase sealing is in the Oil pump, in the form of a higher flow Gerotor setup, and a case crank seal on the back of the oil pump, which keeps the crank case from building up oil.

Transvent/Dipstick Vent and Primary vent, entirely different things for different problems.

On a different note:
You can see the pathway I snaked the vent hose around from this frame. I went over some of the install footage I have on my head cam.

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 06-17-2022 at 03:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gv550 (06-17-2022)
Old 06-17-2022, 02:13 PM
PRidd27
Intermediate
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Update from my right controls not working problem: rats, or mice, or something that I will find and kill.

Old 06-17-2022, 02:18 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,021 Posts

If you can show me 1 m8 ‘s piston tops that are clean (no carbon build up) from running any kind of venting system weather it be venting through the air cleaner or trask trans vent I will buy. Knock your self out , because you won’t!. If you are not pissing oil out of your air cleaner it’s a waste of $. I am running a 22xE cam (hard) and my filter is dry. If it ain’t broken treat it like a sore dk, don’t fk with it!

Last edited by Durham man; 06-17-2022 at 02:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tngarren (06-17-2022)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?