2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 06:00 AM
Kenelz
Tourer
Received 216 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Multiple reasons.
1. Had to choose from things that were instock. The tires I wanted the most, The Cobra Chrome tires were perpetually going in and out of stock and never staying in stock long enough for me to pick up a set together, or even order one in and then have the other ordered a few weeks later.

2. Cost. Because of the Stock issue, The only other options I could have potentially gone with were what a harley dealer would have sold me... Which turns out to be incredibly expensive. 330$ for a rear and 310$ for a front, plus fees, taxes and other costs.
The dealership also was not interested in accommodating any atypical tire interests either and would only put on a set of metzlers, or OEM scorchers... all of which were out of stock, and even if they were in stock, 640$ for tires before taxes and other fees wasn't exactly peaking my interest.
Cyclegear put on my front tire on for free, and I paid with RPM credit and my debit card for a total install for the front of 195$ and then ofc, labor was free because I did the wheel removal and install.
The H50 rear will be 250$+ 1hour labor+ taxes, should be about 425$, total of 620ish range for tires.
And I get the tires I want, because the chopper shop doesn't care about silly dealer rules.

3. What was available to stay within manufacturer brand. For the sake of insurance purposes, and other issues, It's strongly recommended to stay within brand if you are going to mix and match tires. So the only 240mm tire that was reliably in stock was the Battlecruise H50, and the only other tires they make that fit the front wheel of a fat boy are the BattlaxT32 and BattlaxA41 Adventure.
These both also have geometric tread patterns, and the A41 is great at water evacuation, so they should, in theory, match up fairly well.

4. I wanted tires that handle water and wet roads better than the scorcher 11s. Pretty much everyone says the OEM tires are *** to begin with and they are even worse in the wet. The A41s are designed to handle wet weather and water. They have a tread pattern that crosses over the centerline of the tire where most tires do not have sipes or tread gaps. This means the tire will be better at evacuating water and finding traction than other tires I could have gotten.
The Battlax T32 as noted above, does have improved water removal tread, but it does not have any tread grooves that cross over the centerline which leaves a width of tread that would have zero water evacuation.
The A41 does not have this problem.
Because I ride in Seattle all year round, and I do not own a car, I have no choice but to ride in wet weather. Both the A41 Adventure and H50 Battlecruise have designs with intentions of improved wet weather performance.

5. Longer lifespan/greater mileage. My bike's stock tires were pretty much done for at 5200miles. They were old and cracking and wearing fast. Especially with how heavy on the throttle I've become. I have consistently been hitting 90+ and fairly often hitting the speed limiter on the bike, and riding fairly aggressively. Even without the age factor they didn't seem to hold up to mileage very well.
I wanted tires that were designed for this harder riding, and still held up mileage wise. H50 Battlecruise tires were essentially designed for this behavior. The A41 150/70 ZR18 is a Z rated tire rated for 168mph, which is faster than the bike could ever reach, its also a rear tire being reversed.
People who Darkside their bike and they want a front tire to match up for mileage, they put a rear motorcycle tire on the front to get extra mileage. They call it Double Darksiding. It's proven to extend lifespan of their tires.
A41's are essentially high speed long range street tires for Heavy bigbore ADV bikes like the PanAmerica and BMW GS1250.
Being put on a big fat cruiser that's being ridden hard, and constantly ridden in the rain, and often ridden on shitty, poorly maintained roads, is not all that different from a bigbore ADV bike that's constantly on pavement.

Essentially for the mileage and wet weather needs, and what was consistently available, Bridgestone had the best option available to me.
These should last way longer than the OEM scorchers, and essentially come in cheaper than the HD dealership options, as well as be better handling in the conditions I ride in.
Even if these tires only last me 8K miles, the end result is still significantly cheaper than the other options I had available to me.
Bridgestone is claiming high mileage especially for the H50, they claim 20k miles, which I don't believe but if they get anywhere near 10K it's well worth it.
Bridgestone also claims the A41's have long lifespan as well.
We'll see if my theorycrafting turns out to see the results I'm expecting and wanting or not in time. But for now it seems like a solid setup.

Also the reason why I couldn't wait for tires to come in-stock was because I found a screw punctured my rear tire and introduced a wobble at higher speeds that I wasn't comfortable with, and the tire rope plug was being sketchy.
I decided to just get the tires I could ASAP, so that all of these issues with old *** stock OEM tires would go away.

To Long; Didn't Read:
Better wet weather grip because Seattle, cheaper than dealership, same brand combination that was actually in stock, and long lifespan.
Thanks for the excellent writeup! I will refer to this when I need tires.

I have 4700 miles on my bike so far, which is around 3000 in the seven weeks I've owned it. They still look new, but I ride like the old man that I am. I'll probably never find out about the speed limiter, lol. I ride every day as long as its not raining, we are in the dry season here. I do get on the freeway every day, and hit 80 MPH for short distances to keep it cleaned out. The rest is just cruising state highways, avoiding stop and start type traffic as much as possible. I am haappy with these tires so far, I should get pretty good milage out of them.

Old 02-25-2022, 06:03 AM
Kenelz
Tourer
Received 216 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by tngarren
IMO, the Fat Boy is the better-looking bike sans windshield and bags. Once you add those however, the Heritage is the looker.
I agree.

Old 02-25-2022, 12:34 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenelz
Thanks for the excellent writeup! I will refer to this when I need tires.

I have 4700 miles on my bike so far, which is around 3000 in the seven weeks I've owned it. They still look new, but I ride like the old man that I am. I'll probably never find out about the speed limiter, lol. I ride every day as long as its not raining, we are in the dry season here. I do get on the freeway every day, and hit 80 MPH for short distances to keep it cleaned out. The rest is just cruising state highways, avoiding stop and start type traffic as much as possible. I am haappy with these tires so far, I should get pretty good milage out of them.
I edited my post a little bit so that things were a little bit more clear and defined.

Just FYI for tires you can use a 160/60 R/B18 or a 150/70 R/B18 on the front, and you can use a 240/40 250/40 or 260/40 R18 on the rear.
If you are going to use a 150/70 or rear specific 160/60 you need to have it installed reversed direction, so that the tread splice is pushed into the ground when braking. Do not run it with the tread groves facing downward when looking at the bike from the front. They need to be pointing upwards, opposite of the rear.
https://www.avontyres.com/en-gb/tyre...orcycle-tyres/
http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2009/08/23/...by-avon-tyres/

The following users liked this post:
Kenelz (02-25-2022)
Old 02-25-2022, 05:14 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

New Rear tire installed, along with a Turbine Rear Brake Rotor, and a Chrome Sprocket Cover.
The Geometric patterns on the tires look quite nice together, and something about the new front tire and rear tire together somehow make the bike look more old school, than it did with the scorchers.

The following 4 users liked this post by FranBunnyFFXII:
HuntWhenever (02-25-2022), Kenelz (02-27-2022), roadrunner1414 (02-25-2022), YHNYDad (02-25-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 02:18 PM
Philozz
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

New grips today.

The following 3 users liked this post by Philozz:
Durham man (02-27-2022), roadrunner1414 (02-27-2022), tmac00333 (02-28-2022)
Old 02-28-2022, 09:46 AM
slw210
Road Warrior

Received 901 Likes on 575 Posts

I finally installed Low Profile Harley LED Tail Light - Custom Dynamics and Softail SMART Triple Play for 2018-2021 Heritage (customdynamics.com).

All set on the back now with LED run/brake/turn and flash pattern on braking. I'll get a video when I can.

Rear Lighting FXLR

Custom Dynamics Triple Play installed and mounted

Old 02-28-2022, 09:58 AM
geoaero
Cruiser
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by slw210
I finally installed Low Profile Harley LED Tail Light - Custom Dynamics and Softail SMART Triple Play for 2018-2021 Heritage (customdynamics.com).

All set on the back now with LED run/brake/turn and flash pattern on braking. I'll get a video when I can.

Rear Lighting FXLR

Custom Dynamics Triple Play installed and mounted
Yeah, I have the similar flashing tail lights. Occasionally some mechanically inclined driver pulls up next to me and asks if I have a short circuit in my brake wiring. I assure them that they noticed it so, no there's not a problem, that's its purpose, got to wake up those drivers that are texting - hopefully!

Old 03-01-2022, 01:50 PM
snake_eyes
Club Member
Received 1,237 Likes on 725 Posts

Custom OEM HD verticle license plate mod for the wife's FXBBS. Super easy, did it on my Dyna years ago and I'm glad to see that the MoCo has kept the same basic plate frame and mount.

Old 03-01-2022, 03:42 PM
snake_eyes
Club Member
Received 1,237 Likes on 725 Posts

Forgot to post up the upper fork blackout from JBSporty on Amazon. Top-quality product and results!

Old 03-01-2022, 05:54 PM
geoaero
Cruiser
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by snake_eyes
Forgot to post up the upper fork blackout from JBSporty on Amazon. Top-quality product and results!

Is that upper fork cover a black film that you wrap, or is it a formed plastic or metal part?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?