2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 06:44 AM
geoaero
Cruiser
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Chillis
Today last week. Washed, cleaned air filter, and rode the beast on a quick 275 miler. Hadn't ridden much in a year.

Great pics!! Makes me want to book a cheap flight out there and rent a Ride Share bike to forget about the ice and snow.

Last edited by geoaero; 02-19-2022 at 07:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by geoaero:
Chillis (02-19-2022), HuntWhenever (02-19-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 07:15 AM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 862 Likes on 466 Posts

Today last week. Washed, cleaned air filter, and rode the beast on a quick 275 miler. Hadn't ridden much in a year.
Glad you see you letting the beast stretch its legs a little.

I saw an FXDR for sale some time ago. It had right at 1,000 miles on the odometer. My first thought was " @Chillis must have rode this bike for one day".

The following users liked this post:
Chillis (02-19-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 10:53 AM
Chillis
Cruiser
Received 85 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by HuntWhenever
Glad you see you letting the beast stretch its legs a little.

I saw an FXDR for sale some time ago. It had right at 1,000 miles on the odometer. My first thought was " @Chillis must have rode this bike for one day".
I'm so rusty that thousand milers aren't in the near future. I'd like to keep the mileage down on the FXDR as well.

HuntWhenever (02-19-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 11:23 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,879 Likes on 1,219 Posts

...I'd like to keep the mileage down on the FXDR as well.
Get two bikes. I've had two or three sportsters the last decade or so, to go with a softail. Having two bikes in the garage really helps hold the miles down on your main bike, and sporties are 0fun as hell to ride. I sold my last one, like an idiot, and now I'm looking for another one.

Chillis (02-19-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 11:33 AM
Chillis
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tmac00333
Get two bikes. I've had two or three sportsters the last decade or so, to go with a softail. Having two bikes in the garage really helps hold the miles down on your main bike, and sporties are 0fun as hell to ride. I sold my last one, like an idiot, and now I'm looking for another one.
I have been fortunate enough to be able to buy/trade around 1 to 3 bikes a year. COVID shut that down and the FXDR is the sole machine in the garage at the moment.

I'll get another mileage monster when funds permit. Always wanted a Sport Glide.

Old 02-19-2022, 11:42 AM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 862 Likes on 466 Posts

I have been fortunate enough to be able to buy/trade around 1 to 3 bikes a year. COVID shut that down and the FXDR is the sole machine in the garage at the moment.

I'll get another mileage monster when funds permit. Always wanted a Sport Glide.
No Monkey?
Any interest in the new FXLRST?

Old 02-19-2022, 11:55 AM
Chillis
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HuntWhenever
No Monkey?
Any interest in the new FXLRST?
Blew up the 30hp engine at 98mph and sold the project(Monkey).

I'm not a fan of windshields/fairings on most bikes unless a touring, sport touring, or sport bikes.

The Low Rider S with some lower bars I'd be interested in with the little fairing removed.

For safety of license I stick to the naked bikes and ride slower.

The following 2 users liked this post by Chillis:
HuntWhenever (02-19-2022), rc51owner (02-19-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 05:41 PM
DJ_USMC
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my bike apart, tank and bars off, for the 3rd time to find the wiring issue I caused when I installed the bars and cruise in the first place. Wouldn’t change it for the world and looking forward to tackling that cam swap.

Old 02-19-2022, 06:40 PM
coopmonte
Road Captain
Received 203 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ_USMC
I have my bike apart, tank and bars off, for the 3rd time to find the wiring issue I caused when I installed the bars and cruise in the first place. Wouldn’t change it for the world and looking forward to tackling that cam swap.
I find it usually ends up being a pinch in the wires by the switch housing once tightened. Check the connections there and the wire routing, if you haven't already. it's tricky because sometimes as soon as you loosen the housing the pinch goes away. I'm sure you've heard this before so take it for what it's worth and hope you find the problem.

As for what I have done, just finished powder coating the wheels and putting new tires on. Went with Night Dragons because we get a lot of rain here, if they don't work out will try the Cruise Tech next. Now to take apart the rear end to install the Legend rear mono shock and a taller sissy bar this week.

Last edited by coopmonte; 02-19-2022 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-20-2022, 12:26 PM
DJ_USMC
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coopmonte
I find it usually ends up being a pinch in the wires by the switch housing once tightened. Check the connections there and the wire routing, if you haven't already. it's tricky because sometimes as soon as you loosen the housing the pinch goes away. I'm sure you've heard this before so take it for what it's worth and hope you find the problem.

As for what I have done, just finished powder coating the wheels and putting new tires on. Went with Night Dragons because we get a lot of rain here, if they don't work out will try the Cruise Tech next. Now to take apart the rear end to install the Legend rear mono shock and a taller sissy bar this week.
Believe I found the connector that’s the issue, on cable extension, inside the bars of course. Local dealer doesn’t have connector so had to order.

Sweet ride sir and thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?