2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 09:48 AM
Monteman1971
Road Captain
Received 190 Likes on 126 Posts

This maybe a bit premature because the passenger seat isn't here yet but we had a warm day here on Saturday (50 degrees) so I took the bike out for a test ride after installing this Mustang Standard Touring seat. Brings me forward just a bit (vertically challenged at 5'6"), similar reach to the ground, more comfortable and holds me in better so I'm liking it. The factory rear seat fits well and actually looks pretty good to me. Once I get the actual rear seat I'll see which my passenger likes better and then possibly get the original one upholstered to match the front.

Steve

The following users liked this post:
HarleyDEU (08-23-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 10:23 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by WellAimedRound
Managed to squeeze out some local miles to the range to test out all my winter bike mods before our snow returned today. Made a decent mess from the roads but worth the time cleaning to be out on the road again. The custom lower fork guards definitely did their job.
Would you mind sharing the details about your oil cooler cover and the lower fork guards? Thank you.

Originally Posted by Durham man
Installed my black head light trim ring, I have l.e.d front turn signal insert’s with smoke lens and Memphis shades black hand guards on route.
Which head light trim ring is that? I have the HD Quarter fairing going on as soon as I get my replacement shield from Denton Cycles and I'm not loving the look of the raw headlight. A trim ring would go a long way towards making it look nicer.

Thank you.

Old 02-14-2022, 10:42 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
Would you mind sharing the details about your oil cooler cover and the lower fork guards? Thank you.

Which head light trim ring is that? I have the HD Quarter fairing going on as soon as I get my replacement shield from Denton Cycles and I'm not loving the look of the raw headlight. A trim ring would go a long way towards making it look nicer.

Thank you.
it is a little big for the lrs so I ran a strip of weather stripping around the head light and it tightened up nice.

Redbeard719 (02-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 10:46 AM
geoaero
Cruiser
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Monteman1971
This maybe a bit premature because the passenger seat isn't here yet but we had a warm day here on Saturday (50 degrees) so I took the bike out for a test ride after installing this Mustang Standard Touring seat. Brings me forward just a bit (vertically challenged at 5'6"), similar reach to the ground, more comfortable and holds me in better so I'm liking it. The factory rear seat fits well and actually looks pretty good to me. Once I get the actual rear seat I'll see which my passenger likes better and then possibly get the original one upholstered to match the front.

Steve
Of all the factory Harley seats, that one just fits its intended bike perfectly. It's just trim enough for an otherwise bulky bike. Keeps the look lean and mean. But unfortunately, like most Harley seats, I'm guessing it's not very comfortable in the long run.

Oops... That's the Mustang seat. Looks good. I thought it was the factory seat. Ride on!

Last edited by geoaero; 02-14-2022 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-14-2022, 11:31 AM
2waam
Advanced
Received 140 Likes on 50 Posts

Thank you.
Not sure what he is using, but this could be trim to fit.

Old 02-14-2022, 11:51 AM
WellAimedRound
Advanced
Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Thank you.
The lower fork guards are from dark-parts.com out of Germany. I think killercustom & arhcustom also make some also. They just slide down the fork tubes after removing them from the triple clamps and secure to the brake caliper bolts.

The oil cooler cover is from kuryakyn.

My next custom item is trying to find or make a the front fender that would extend further down at the rear to keep the excess road debris off the oil cooler. I spliced two fenders together on my last bike to do this and it worked and looked great, but unfortunately the lrs is still too new to find used fenders cheap yet on eBay for the project.

Last edited by WellAimedRound; 02-14-2022 at 12:17 PM.
Redbeard719 (02-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 12:26 PM
Monteman1971
Road Captain
Received 190 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by geoaero
Of all the factory Harley seats, that one just fits its intended bike perfectly. It's just trim enough for an otherwise bulky bike. Keeps the look lean and mean. But unfortunately, like most Harley seats, I'm guessing it's not very comfortable in the long run.

Oops... That's the Mustang seat. Looks good. I thought it was the factory seat. Ride on!
Lol.. the factory part is the rear seat. If I don't like the matching rear Mustang seat, I'm thinking I'll get the factory rear seat upholstered to match the new Mustang front seat better.

Old 02-15-2022, 05:53 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

Installed my black head light trim ring, I have l.e.d front turn signal insert’s with smoke lens and Memphis shades black hand guards on route.

Should have the led’s today. Hand guards on.

Last edited by Durham man; 02-15-2022 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-16-2022, 02:26 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Originally Posted by Monteman1971
Lol.. the factory part is the rear seat. If I don't like the matching rear Mustang seat, I'm thinking I'll get the factory rear seat upholstered to match the new Mustang front seat better.
Hold up. Mustang told me that you cant do this when I went to order their seat.
I wanted to get the Diamond widetripper, so before I ordered I contacted them and asked "Can I still use my stock rear seat with this?" And they told me no.
So I didnt buy their seat.
I went and got 2 Saddlemen seats instead for different purposes.
Way to lose a sale there Mustang.

Old 02-16-2022, 03:20 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member

Should have the led’s today. Hand guards on.

LED’s installed, done deal!

The following 2 users liked this post by Durham man:
Redbeard719 (02-17-2022), roadrunner1414 (02-16-2022)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?