2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 04:38 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by bduds65
Well, after months of research and countless hours on HDForums, I finally pulled the trigger. We drove two hours, half of which was in in the snow to see one I've been watching. Dealer pics...

Not the deal I was hoping for but not bad. I received a gift card to help me out with the handlebar swap. Nope, I cannot do drag bars. Bit the previous owner is bringing back the passenger seat and the dealer is putting on the cheap front fender chrome, a light bar and moving the turn signals back where they should be.

I did do what I said I would never though, is to make the purchase without a test ride. But with snow on the ground and still coming down, wasn't going to happen. But I wasn't about to do the drive again just for that. I added the extended warranty...

Bottom line, with the limited color choices (that I like anyway) of the 2018+ Heritage, this was my only real choice. The other was a close second. A 2018 in Twisted Cherry, same pipes, $1000 cheaper, twice as many miles. Lots of other goodies.
that is a great looking bike! Congrats. The wide glide is going to be jealous!

Old 01-30-2022, 04:55 PM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 552 Likes on 350 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Durham man
that is a great looking bike! Congrats. The wide glide is going to be jealous!
Thanks! They will be parked side by side in a few weeks. They'll have to figure out a way to get along. LOL

Old 01-30-2022, 07:07 PM
txphatboy
Road Warrior
Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts

Thanks! They will be parked side by side in a few weeks. They'll have to figure out a way to get along. LOL
I was starting to think you were never going to pull the trigger! Very nice bike … I even like the bars! I may not like them as much without a shield, but with the shield they look good and look like they would be comfortable. Congrats

The following users liked this post:
bduds65 (01-31-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 08:46 PM
geoaero
Cruiser
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts

Well, after months of research and countless hours on HDForums, I finally pulled the trigger. We drove two hours, half of which was in in the snow to see one I've been watching. Dealer pics...

Not the deal I was hoping for but not bad. I received a gift card to help me out with the handlebar swap. Nope, I cannot do drag bars. Bit the previous owner is bringing back the passenger seat and the dealer is putting on the cheap front fender chrome, a light bar and moving the turn signals back where they should be.

I did do what I said I would never though, is to make the purchase without a test ride. But with snow on the ground and still coming down, wasn't going to happen. But I wasn't about to do the drive again just for that. I added the extended warranty...

Bottom line, with the limited color choices (that I like anyway) of the 2018+ Heritage, this was my only real choice. The other was a close second. A 2018 in Twisted Cherry, same pipes, $1000 cheaper, twice as many miles. Lots of other goodies.
That green just looks flat cool! Great looking bike!

Old 01-31-2022, 08:10 AM
bduds65
Road Master
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by geoaero
That green just looks flat cool! Great looking bike!
Thank you!! I think the meat hook bars will give it a great look (I've seen tons of pics on here already). Going with thick bars so they look beefy. And doing the light-bar work up front and not have to worry about pipes will let me ride it immediately. Well in the spring LOL All I need then is just the sissy bar/pad/luggage rack in a few months since I am the one who takes the luggage when we travel. I have until July for that, but that is easy to install.

The bonus is, just after I posted on FB, a friend of mine came right back and told me he wants the drag bars. He has a black 2019 RK and is 6' tall. I am hoping they will fit his bike because he looks uncomfortable with his stock bars. And I do not want the BS of trying to sell them

Old 01-31-2022, 08:26 AM
bduds65
Road Master
Cool

Originally Posted by txphatboy
I was starting to think you were never going to pull the trigger! Very nice bike … I even like the bars! I may not like them as much without a shield, but with the shield they look good and look like they would be comfortable. Congrats
Thank you! I was even making MYSELF crazy with all the research, emails, phone calls etc. HD sales people are always extremely helpful and I have learned a ton of information throughout this process. But at the same time, I am sure they are all as relieved as I am that I finally put it to rest! LOL

Now I just to ride it and see if the stock seat will be soft enough for me to get through the season - due to my injury. I hope so since my wife will surely not be please when I get the bill for the handlebar-swap labor

Old 01-31-2022, 08:53 AM
bduds65
Road Master
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BareKnuckle
Nice looking bike!!!
Looks great with the heavy breathin AC.
I’ll bet it feels good to see the big red bold SOLD sign with your name on it?
Congrats.
Interesting! Your Spruce color was one of my second choices. Local too (not 2 hours away LOL) It looks kickin' in the sun! Last week, I actually had the sales person pull it outside on a sunny day so I could see it. It had like 900 miles and was FINE!! It was 100% stock so I would have ALL of the pipes, bars, etc to do. I just couldn't see myself in that color for some reason. That's just me. It does grab your eye though. Very nice

Old 01-31-2022, 09:14 AM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 157 Likes on 63 Posts

Sold the fairing and got my new bags on. A little more optional storage for when I’m riding solo. Sucks they don’t fit with the backrest on when the wife wants to ride.

Old 01-31-2022, 10:37 AM
geoaero
Cruiser
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts

Thank you!! I think the meat hook bars will give it a great look (I've seen tons of pics on here already). Going with thick bars so they look beefy. And doing the light-bar work up front and not have to worry about pipes will let me ride it immediately. Well in the spring LOL All I need then is just the sissy bar/pad/luggage rack in a few months since I am the one who takes the luggage when we travel. I have until July for that, but that is easy to install.

The bonus is, just after I posted on FB, a friend of mine came right back and told me he wants the drag bars. He has a black 2019 RK and is 6' tall. I am hoping they will fit his bike because he looks uncomfortable with his stock bars. And I do not want the BS of trying to sell them
Meat hook bars will look great, and you shouldn't have to extend the clutch or brake cable because those drag bars look pretty tall already. And fatter bars are easier to pull your internal wiring through, especially since you won't need to run the turn signal wiring through the bars since they'll be down low.
Good luck. Don't forget to give the Wide Glide some love too...

Old 01-31-2022, 12:11 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

Not today, but over the past week on my 2021 Low Rider S with 14 miles on the odometer, I was able to complete the following:

Installed a Wood WM8-22XE camshaft, S&S Premium Lifters, S&S Tappet Cuffs, FM Adjustable Pushrods, and black pushrod tubes and tappet covers. Also finished up my breather bypass.

The Fuel Moto Jackpot Riot 2-1 exhaust got installed too.

And I found a hack to locating the unicorn-elusive cruise control kit, and was able to get the parts. So I was able to get that installed and almost wrap up my bar install. Just waiting for the upper brake line and upper control cable.

Today I was able to program my second (spare) key fob and enable the cruise control option using the Diag4Bike tool. I also received my Power Vision license and tune from FM, which have also been completed.

The following users liked this post:
Durham man (01-31-2022)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?