2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 09:06 PM
geoaero
Cruiser
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks. Looks neat and tidy. I looked up the prices. Wish it was cheaper 😔

Old 09-18-2021, 06:58 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My gremlin!

The following 2 users liked this post by Durham man:
Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (09-18-2021), geoaero (09-18-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 08:04 AM
geoaero
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Those rear axle cap covers, where did you get them and do they make a Satin chrome version?

​​​​​​I used an electric sander and took the black finish of the axle cap down to aluminum myself.

Old 09-18-2021, 09:55 AM
geoaero
Cruiser

Oops. Double entry.

Old 09-18-2021, 08:01 PM
Brian15
Tourer
Received 298 Likes on 160 Posts

My Power Vision arrived from Fuel Moto, so I installed the MAP they set up for me and took it for a spin. It felt and sounded a little tighter - but I had occasional popping when up shifting and down shifting. I ran a 20 minute auto-tune and will run two more tomorrow morning.

I was hoping for a home run out of the box since I’m running what I think is a common set up (Eliminator 300’s/no baffles/158 TTI’s), but that wasn’t the case. It’ll get there. It’s not far off.

Old 09-18-2021, 09:00 PM
txphatboy
Road Warrior
Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Default Polished powdercoat

Ordered a set of 12” PC black apes for 2019 Heritage. Opened up package and bars looked like they had an oily film all over. Washed them and no change. The PC was all scratched and real hazy looking. I’ve waxed glossy PC in the past, but never attempted to polish it. Did a search on how to do it and found some good info from powdercoat suppliers and special polish for PC. Did not want to wait for online delivery, so bought some Meguire’s Ultimate Compound and Polish from local store. Hand polished using same method as paint (not a lot of effort) and bars turned out pretty nice, and ready for install. Just thought I’d share for those of you with some scratched up PC parts -may save you a lot of time and money pulling parts and re-powdercoating. I would not have been happy with these bars on my bike the way they were delivered, and it took very little time and work to clean them up. May do a little more after install on bike. Took a before pic, but must have deleted it. They looked pretty rough.

Old 09-19-2021, 07:11 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Nothing too mind-blowing, just removed stock "straw sucking" restrictive mufflers & chrome heat shields to swap w/ black shields + Thunderheader pipes. Had some other honey-do things to work on so hoping to hook-up to SE Tuner today & record some files to see if/what changes.

I'm sure most members know of the Softail CATs, but added some pics to show difference between these two muffler types. Ever wonder why bike's so quiet/hot...here's your reference.

2020 Heritage with Thunderheader and black shields.

Another photo with closer look at pipes & shields.

Stock HD with CAT.

Thunderheader pipe and baffle.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:27 AM
Bayou FLHR-M8-128"
Supporter
Received 566 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Nothing too mind-blowing, just removed stock "straw sucking" restrictive mufflers & chrome heat shields to swap w/ black shields + Thunderheader pipes. Had some other honey-do things to work on so hoping to hook-up to SE Tuner today & record some files to see if/what changes.

I'm sure most members know of the Softail CATs, but added some pics to show difference between these two muffler types. Ever wonder why bike's so quiet/hot...here's your reference.

2020 Heritage with Thunderheader and black shields.

Another photo with closer look at pipes & shields.

Stock HD with CAT.

Thunderheader pipe and baffle.

Yep! My pipes colored just 10 miles into stage 1 tune with AC change and pipes opened up "straight thru" other than this blockage. During stage 1 upgrade I immediately removed my heat shields to watch for heat indicators (none at this time and 3k on bike with no mods). Then I removed the blockage as shown welded back together and sanded away the color (chrome heatshields cover it all anyway). Then after 300 miles and no coloring, I reinstalled my covers. And HD and others say NO restrictions.😂🤷‍♂️
Great looking Bike!
Ride Safe✌

Old 09-20-2021, 04:01 PM
awright2009
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Changed my primary oil, transmission oil, and adjusted my clutch, and tightened a few things up. Not too bad changing the transmission fluid, although first time I opened up the side panel stuff, not a lot of room to get your allen wrench on the fill hole, 28 oz wet fill using the bottle marks to measure. I almost cross threaded the trans fill plug putting it back in, but finally got it to turn smooth doing who knows what differently. Draining primary is easy, left it empty as I adjusted the clutch, the new plastic spring gizmo on the clutch cable seems like it will break eventually, but it is easier to use. Did the tighten until it touches and back out one turn on the clutch pack adjuster, clutch shifts much easier now and seems normal. Before I'd get loud shifts and if in a lower gear it felt like the clutch was slightly engaged with the lever fully pulled in.

When filling the primary I almost put in 36oz, but caught the wider primary (breakout and fatboy) needs 40oz wet fill. My old primary oil was definitely full of clutch material, for such a new bike I'd think the adjustment was *really* out, or the primary was under filled, but regardless it's good now. Used Motul oil for everything, currently have Mobil 1 in the engine, but might go Motul there too for the next fill up, although it is pretty pricey. One jug for transmission, two jugs for primary.

Last time I rode it a car pulled out in front of me and I had to break slightly hard, not bad, but my handlebars rotated in the clamp, so I loosened those off positioned it right, and tightened them back up, slightly over torqued them by 2 ft lbs, but hopefully not a big deal. (Think my wrenches lower end is 20 ft lbs) Also a while back my turn signals started to rotate upwards from vibration, 1/2" wrench there, had my loctite out, but didn't end up using it.

Bike is ready for a long ride now, now I just need the time ;o)

Videos:
- Transmission Fluid

- Primary Fluid

- clutch adjustment

- another for clutch adjustment

- Plastic thing

Last edited by awright2009; 09-20-2021 at 04:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by awright2009:
GrenV (09-22-2021), Joe Black (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 10:20 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 225 Posts

Installed Hella 113 db horn. Abandoned the existing horn bracket in place, used the bolt holding the plastic box in place. Louder and lower then stock.

The following 2 users liked this post by jammerx:
Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (09-22-2021), Rabianegra (09-22-2021)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?