2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 02:24 PM
Spumoni
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

What did I do to my brand new softail today? I burnt the paint off my front fender as I bounced down the road like a fool with these new retro tires... all for the love of that retro look. I was astonished when I saw the paint on the front fender, and it took me a minute to figure out the tire was rubbing underneath. There was clearance on the front and rear of the fender, but apparently the shop didn’t think about centrifugal force. Only 500 miles on the bike. Yes, I know it’s not recommended to run retro tires on a new bike, but I had to try to see for myself. Can’t say I can recommend the Coker Beck tires. As great as they look to me, the bouncing / hopping is unacceptable. I have two older Harleys with retro tires that run as smooth as silk.

I will never go back to the stock tires, so I’ll try the Shinko 270’s next. I will have to get the front fender modified (sides cut and lengthened) for an extra eighth inch of clearance. And of course, repainted. Ideally I’d like to go without a fender, but I’d prefer the little bit of protection just in case. Needless to say I’m pretty disgusted after all the efforts of getting the tires installed by my local shop. Also noticed my back wheel had some serious defects in the powdercoat - not sure if Harley will cover that or not (cosmetic warrantee?)

Last edited by Spumoni; 09-12-2021 at 02:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
HarleyDEU (09-17-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 04:35 PM
motorend
Cruiser
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

Just noticed the right rear light doesn't work on my 21 Slim. Lifted the seat and the molex connector is defective. Looks almost like its a bit melted. Bikes two weeks old. So I will be headed to the dealer this week for warranty. Hopefully they can find that dash rattle that kicks in at 1,740 rpm.

Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 04:41 PM
TnFatboy
Road Master
Received 434 Likes on 236 Posts

Do you have a factory gas cap ? If so I bet that’s your rattle, it was on my Fatboy and a bunch of other people on here. Several threads about it just search “gas cap rattle” , someone came up with a fix involving putting a couple dings on the inside of the cap with a hammer & punch. Worked for me...

Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 04:48 PM
TnFatboy
Road Master
Received 434 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Spumoni
What did I do to my brand new softail today? I burnt the paint off my front fender as I bounced down the road like a fool with these new retro tires... all for the love of that retro look. I was astonished when I saw the paint on the front fender, and it took me a minute to figure out the tire was rubbing underneath. There was clearance on the front and rear of the fender, but apparently the shop didn’t think about centrifugal force. Only 500 miles on the bike. Yes, I know it’s not recommended to run retro tires on a new bike, but I had to try to see for myself. Can’t say I can recommend the Coker Beck tires. As great as they look to me, the bouncing / hopping is unacceptable. I have two older Harleys with retro tires that run as smooth as silk.

I will never go back to the stock tires, so I’ll try the Shinko 270’s next. I will have to get the front fender modified (sides cut and lengthened) for an extra eighth inch of clearance. And of course, repainted. Ideally I’d like to go without a fender, but I’d prefer the little bit of protection just in case. Needless to say I’m pretty disgusted after all the efforts of getting the tires installed by my local shop. Also noticed my back wheel had some serious defects in the powdercoat - not sure if Harley will cover that or not (cosmetic warrantee?)

Im gonna sound like a dick no matter how I say this, so I’m just gonna say it...couldn’t anyone at whatever shop you used look at that clearance and say “she’s gonna rub” ? I mean, it looks cool and all but shitfire she’s tight

Old 09-12-2021, 05:14 PM
Bayou FLHR-M8-128"
Supporter
Received 566 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Spumoni

dammit! It was definitely a VERY GOOD LOOK! I have been building bikes all my life and have had some very close fits but NEVER. Definitely not your fault as I would have ran it if it didn't rub as I would have loved the tight look and yes I would have been sick....😬😡
It is a great look. If it was mine I would modify my mounting tabs to give me 1/4" prime it and ride. Then repaint come winter time.
And I am on my 2nd set of Shinko tires and love them. In all my years riding these Shinkos are the loudest tire I have ever had when it breaks loose. She barks loud enough for other riders to hear them when she breaks. Better riding and traction over the Dunlops.

Last edited by Bayou FLHR-M8-128"; 09-12-2021 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:15 PM
EWR101
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank you for the compliment! The compressor is held by the electric center stand mount. The center stands mounts using the three rear oil pan bolts and two more higher up on the back of the motor/transmission. I think those two bolt holes are where the emissions gear on California bikes are mounted. I’ll try and get a picture and post it tomorrow.

Old 09-12-2021, 07:21 PM
motorend
Cruiser
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by TnFatboy
Do you have a factory gas cap ? If so I bet that’s your rattle, it was on my Fatboy and a bunch of other people on here. Several threads about it just search “gas cap rattle” , someone came up with a fix involving putting a couple dings on the inside of the cap with a hammer & punch. Worked for me...
Thanks for the input. I ran it without the gas cap and the rattle/vibration was still there. I read about the gas cap and was really hoping thats what it was. I'm clueless, hopefully the dealer can find it.

Last edited by motorend; 09-12-2021 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:54 PM
Spumoni
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

The shop I go to is a friend of mine - he’s done other builds for me in the past, and is probably one of the most meticulous builders I’ve seen. He’s got OCD too, which is why we get along. There tire wasn’t touching in the front or rear of the fender, and it made no rubbing sounds. We just never thought about centrifugal force…

I think I’ll order a set of the Shinko 270’s…. MAYBE just maybe I won’t have to modify the tabs on the fender!

Glad to know you’re happy with the Shinko’s. Hopefully they won’t bounce like these Cokers do.

Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (09-16-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 05:24 AM
TracerBullet
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,294 Likes on 2,899 Posts

Preordered a Powervision for my 21 LRS

Old 09-13-2021, 05:57 PM
JMoFresh
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by motorend
Thanks for the input. I ran it without the gas cap and the rattle/vibration was still there. I read about the gas cap and was really hoping thats what it was. I'm clueless, hopefully the dealer can find it.
Is it your clutch lever? Mine used to rattle really bad before I got new levers. Still rattles a bit but not nearly as bad with the upgraded sleeves.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?