2018+ Softail Models Breakout

What did you do to your 18+ softail today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 07:00 AM
SetoSeyer
Intermediate
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by EWR101
I would love to get air ride put on mine but I don't know how well the OE kickstand would work. I'm afraid of it tipping to the right should it lose air for whatever reason. An electric center-stand (hell, I'd even be good with a manual one) is what I'd want to use but I havent found either for 18 and up Softails. Have you found one or are you going to use the kickstand?
no issues fully deflated on my Heritage, unless the front wheel is turned to the right.

Old 09-16-2020, 01:39 PM
gthmnyt2580
Cruiser
Received 117 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ad78
The reason why i bought the slim is because of the hollywood bar 😂
I dont want to mess things around and all mounts are ugly so i decided to do this..

***keep in mind that this is not the best visible when having full face helmet which i am into it. I used having my phone in my pocket controlling via voice commands using cardo bold. The reason why i did this is for charging stuff.
That's a pretty creative and minimalistic solution. I know you just posted this set up today, but have you had a chance to test it out on any long rides / bumpy roads yet? I see you've got the two magnets on there for a stronger hold but I'm curious how it holds up.

Old 09-16-2020, 01:57 PM
ad78
Cruiser
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by gthmnyt2580
That's a pretty creative and minimalistic solution. I know you just posted this set up today, but have you had a chance to test it out on any long rides / bumpy roads yet? I see you've got the two magnets on there for a stronger hold but I'm curious how it holds up.
Just had 60miles today and with the case when i hit too much bumps theres a little movement and on the highway 80ish its stable. But without a case its pretty solid and no movement with the bumps etc.

Old 09-16-2020, 03:02 PM
gthmnyt2580
Cruiser

Just had 60miles today and with the case when i hit too much bumps theres a little movement and on the highway 80ish its stable. But without a case its pretty solid and no movement with the bumps etc.
Cool. Good to know. What magnet bases did you end up using for it? That chrome trim on them mixes well with the bike. I've got a Ram reservoir double mount on my black slim right now and I agree that it takes away from the look of the hollywood bars. I only went with the double because I originally had both my phone and GoPro on there but have since put the GoPro on my helmet. Now it just looks like this and looks weird having a random ball joint not being used (waits for the snickers and remarks. Haha ).

Old 09-16-2020, 03:07 PM
ad78
Cruiser
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by gthmnyt2580
Cool. Good to know. What magnet bases did you end up using for it? That chrome trim on them mixes well with the bike. I've got a Ram reservoir double mount on my black slim right now and I agree that it takes away from the look of the hollywood bars. I only went with the double because I originally had both my phone and GoPro on there but have since put the GoPro on my helmet. Now it just looks like this and looks weird having a random ball joint not being used (waits for the snickers and remarks. Haha ).
here they are

Magnetic Phone Car Mount Magnetic Car Holder Universal Stick on Dashboard Extra Slim Magnetic Car Mount for All Cellphone 2Pack
Amazon Amazon

(2 Pack + iPhone Bag) USB 90 Degree Right Angle Design Gaming iPhone LED Nylon Braided Sync Charge New USB Reversible Data 6FT/1.8M Cable Compatible iPhone/iPad Pro/Air,iPad Mini,iPod (6FT Black)
Amazon Amazon

The following users liked this post:
gthmnyt2580 (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 03:10 PM
gthmnyt2580
Cruiser

here they are

Magnetic Phone Car Mount Magnetic Car Holder Universal Stick on Dashboard Extra Slim Magnetic Car Mount for All Cellphone 2Pack
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TY54JVH..._RaNyFbSTDJ586

(2 Pack + iPhone Bag) USB 90 Degree Right Angle Design Gaming iPhone LED Nylon Braided Sync Charge New USB Reversible Data 6FT/1.8M Cable Compatible iPhone/iPad Pro/Air,iPad Mini,iPod (6FT Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CJV6PBJ..._gbNyFb9JWEQHH
Thanks!

Old 09-16-2020, 06:43 PM
Bayou FLHR-M8-128"
Supporter
Received 566 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by THUDUX
Loving my HOG

awesome tide dude!!! I looked at your build from beginning to end and ya done real well!!👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Just finished 1400 miles and truly believe it was designed around someone with my exact build!! Have a shop full of harleys custom built and this one fits me perfect. Scared to change the saddle as it rides perfect!!! Waiting for cold weather to install chrome sliders (a necessity!!)

Old 09-16-2020, 06:45 PM
Bayou FLHR-M8-128"
Supporter

Originally Posted by ss3964spd
Worth
Every
Cent

To me, anyway. Very nice to be able to relax your right hand grip, or remove your right hand altogether, to reduce fatigue. Or to just scratch an itch ya can't get to with your left hand.

Works in all gears I think, but haven't tried it in 1st or 2nd, and won't engage below either 25 or 30 MPH. It is very smooth in its operation and very consistent with holding the set speed. Once set, speed can be adjusted in 1 MPH increments up or down.

Easy install. The cable is long. You WILL want to move the tank to be able to get to the large rubber grommet unless the tank on your bike doesn't cover the back of the grommet. Once you identify and disconnect the correct connector from the connector block behind the giant rubber grommet be sure to tie a string to it before you pull it through the upper fork triple and bar. Gently work it out, then tie the string to the new connector, and wrap the connector and an inch of the string with some electrical or a small piece of duct tape, that'll prevent the corners of the connector from getting hung up on opening at the bottom of the bar. Gently pull the string with your right hand while feeding the cable in with your left, you won't want to put much stress on the connector. Soon as I saw the end of the tape showing through the bottom bar opening I reached in with some needle nose pliers and grabbed the tape and gently worked the connector through the opening and helped feed it through the opening in the tree. Reconnect to the connector block. Instructions suggest to bundle and zip tie the excess outside of the rubber grommet but I found you can feed the excess into the open channel inside the frame. If you have risers, or apes, or both, you'll have less excess to deal with.
Cost of cruise? Then cost to flash it to work?
Thanks and ride safe!!

Old 09-16-2020, 07:13 PM
Bayou FLHR-M8-128"
Supporter

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Did the 10,000 mile service on the Heritage. Once again that funny looking “drip catcher funnel” that’s supposed to catch the oil from the oil filter failed miserably, drizzling oil all over the bike and the floor. At least this time I didn’t kick the bike and call it every curse word ever invented.

Now I just curse the damn fool that decided that was a good location for the oil filter
Take a standard empty 1 gal milk jug. Split it in half vertically top to bottom. Trim a small bit of bottom to make it round. Then there is enough curve on bottom to rap around filter when slid under filter. Remove filter and let it lay into milk carton. Pull carton and filter out together. Very thin flexible carton is very easy to manipulate and not spill oil at same time, dispose of both. Works perfectly every time!!

Stormin70 (09-18-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 04:27 AM
MHTR
Cruiser
Received 141 Likes on 54 Posts

Just finished 1400 miles and truly believe it was designed around someone with my exact build!! Have a shop full of harleys custom built and this one fits me perfect. Scared to change the saddle as it rides perfect!!! [/QUOTE]
Agreed. I'm about 5' 9" with a 29" inseam. The Ergos were perfect for me right off the showroom floor ('18 Deluxe).

Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (09-17-2020)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 18+ softail today?