2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything 2018 FatBoy thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 06:07 PM
IBE
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,747 Posts

what kind of mileage are you getting on your tires??

Old 01-26-2022, 10:33 AM
Monteman1971
Road Captain
Received 190 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by IBE
what kind of mileage are you getting on your tires??
Is that a general question to the group? I got 8800 on my front tire, the rear tire still had plenty but I replaced both of them with the Metzler Cruisetec.... Handles so much better but I only got a few miles on them before dreaded winter ended all the fun.

Steve

Old 01-26-2022, 05:56 PM
IBE
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,747 Posts

yes its a everyone on a 18 and up fatboy question

Old 01-26-2022, 06:03 PM
Bob Z.
Road Master

Received 297 Likes on 178 Posts

It will be interesting to see how many miles I get since I am running higher pressures (40/42) since I like the better turn-in feel on the front with more air in the fat tire.

Old 01-27-2022, 01:42 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,900 Likes on 1,569 Posts

Speaking of tires, I'm actually considering doing something thats probably quite unorthdox with the tire situation on my bike.
After reading a ton of reviews, and talking to people, I've decided that the 260 rear tire idea potentially may create an issue with wobble.
I was talking to a 2018 breakout owner and he has a 260 on the rear of his bike and he said it makes his bike wobble in higher speed corners.
Which is what sent me looking at tires again.

I am debating tire choices again and have been considering the idea of running a 150/70 R18 Continental Trail Attack 3 Rear on the front in reverse.
It's an large ADV touring, mostly road focused tire with milage and wet weather performance in mind.
I'm particularly interested due to the incredibly common rain in Seattle, along with the fact that the center of the tread of this tire has a tread cut out, which makes it good for water evacuation.
Seeing a lot of raving reviews about this tire.
And I want to combine it with a Bridgestone Battlecruise H50, because it shares a strange and interesting geometric tread pattern that is very effective for wet weather as well. It shares a reputation for high milage as well.

It is REALLY easy for me to break a rear tire loose on this bike even on lightly rained on road. So higher grip wet weather tires is on my radar.
And I really want some high milage tires. Conti Trail Attack 3 and H50s both have a high milage reputation.

Debating about this setup vs a cobra chrome set.
I still got a few thousand miles left on these stock scorchers so I have time to think about it, but I'm getting interested in possibly doing an early tire change for the beginning of summer.

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 01-27-2022 at 03:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
roadrunner1414 (01-27-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 11:38 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

I love taking everything off the bike and just going out for a spin.
I really need to install the new seat.
I got a lot of chrome pieces in, and it's time I install them already.

The following 2 users liked this post by FranBunnyFFXII:
roadrunner1414 (02-24-2022), YHNYDad (01-28-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 09:08 AM
Kinshuk Arya
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
The reason they dont fit the 2018 fat boy is because the 2018 widetire frame doesnt have the upper peg bolt hole.
2019 and later do have that bolt hole.

I checked the holes that you were mentioning for moving the pegs. The issue in that is the hole on the right hand side is right in front of the exhaust, so cant do the changes untill and unless I get a full system exhaust which is mounted lower than it. I am not planning to change the exhaust and to a full system even less so. So, thinking of asking the better half to get used to stance.

Old 02-02-2022, 03:47 PM
Lone Cabbage
Advanced
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
For the 158Ws trying to install them into the Vance and Hines Eliminator 300 slip-ons, They're too big to bolt in the baffle and slip them back in due to the bolt in hardware, but also they are too big because they dont actually give enough space for exhaust gases to pass through. The diameter of the baffle itself is simply too small for the 158W. So it'd choke the bike. And the optimal designed angle for those inserts is to be at 90degrees perpendicular to the flow of the exhaust.
So the 158W are just too big all around.
Mounting the 118W's I fully intend on them being mounted without drilling into the side of the outter pipe. With the reduced size it should be able to be installed into the baffle and slipped right back in no problem. If not, I'll take a grinder to the end and cut it down a bit so it can positioned in the center and not obstruct putting the baffle back in.

According to DKCustoms they make the sound tone deeper, and quieter. By 6dB as per their charts
https://www.dkcustomproducts.com/thu...dk-tti-118.htm
https://www.dkcustomproducts.com/thu...dk-tti-158.htm

Did you ever get the thunder torque inserts installed, if so did they make a difference?

Old 02-02-2022, 07:07 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lone Cabbage
Did you ever get the thunder torque inserts installed, if so did they make a difference?
I did, the 118Ws fit just fine.
But no gonna lie, Im probably too deaf to tell a difference in sound. There is less metallic pinging in my head now from the exhaust, but its still there.
The big difference sound wise is that when I let off the throttle and engine brake, there is a definite gurgle sound that comes from the sound waves bouncing off the TTIs.
That decel rumble is waaay more prominent now, where as before it didnt really do it very loudly or I dont really notice it before.

I installed a new filter along with the TTIs and I do feel a little bit more power, but Im still using the stock tune.
I can't really report back much. I'm sure there's a little bit more power there now if I were to take it onto a dyno, but it doesnt really affect the bike enough for me to notice anything significant.
I did notice that the first time I topped out the speedometer on my bike, before the Stage 1 stuff, it creeped up there and I didnt feel the let off.
But after the stage 1 stuff, I went for a top speed run again, and I could feel the bike just stop increasing speed and hold at the speed limiter.

That's probably the only legitimate difference I've noticed now with the stage 1.

There is much less of a gasoline smell now.
But no real difference in gas milage between the two either.

Old 02-03-2022, 09:28 AM
Lone Cabbage
Advanced
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the reply, I was curious about the sound as well as any noticeable torque difference. I am running an RS468 cam in mine, which made the mufflers much louder, so I may give them try and see if they take away some of the harshness that is more noticeable since I installed the cam.

Quick Reply: Everything 2018 FatBoy thread