2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything 2018 FatBoy thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 10:36 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 442 Likes on 321 Posts

Well great. It won't take you long to acclimate to the sheer grunt that these FB's have. If you go to a Stage 2, which imo is well worth the money you'll get even more out of it. I've had a lot of bikes and this is my second 1800 but for sheer fun this is my favorite. While not exactly nimble it is much easier to throw around than my VTX was, and I had that one for almost nine years. I do love my FB.

Old 12-10-2021, 11:58 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,946 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by iHodor
Well great. It won't take you long to acclimate to the sheer grunt that these FB's have. If you go to a Stage 2, which imo is well worth the money you'll get even more out of it. I've had a lot of bikes and this is my second 1800 but for sheer fun this is my favorite. While not exactly nimble it is much easier to throw around than my VTX was, and I had that one for almost nine years. I do love my FB.
I'm looking at the possibility of stage 2.
I'm looking at potential aftermarket Cams that work with the stock headers and slip on mufflers, hoping I can use the SE Street Cannons so I can keep my stock look.
I'm thinking the CR480 or 22X-E.
From how I'm riding thusfar it seems I'm going to want something that starts to pull hard at 2800RPM and carries out to 5500RPM.

Old 12-11-2021, 09:01 AM
iHodor
Road Warrior

I went with the HD torque cam and couldn't be happier, though maybe ignorance is bliss? All I know is the bike pulls like a scalded ape, and it never stops until I stop twisting the wick. Then again my riding style keeps the revs between 2 and 4K for the most part, and unless I'm on the slab I rarely exceed that except for brief moments when I just have to feel er, more power, as Tim the Toolman says. One thing you might want to consider if you do this is a backrest. I've been riding for nearly four decades but still I almost came off the bike twice right after I got it and potholes caused me to flick my wrist. As you know these bikes are very responsive. And the torque cam amplifies that trait. Oh, and the SE Street Cannons work very well with the upgrade, at least with the torque cam. Can't speak to others.

Old 12-12-2021, 12:35 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

I'm definitely looking at the aftermarket cams. Ill figure out what I want later though after I have a good idea of where I want the power in the bike.
After its all said and done I really wanna the bike to just take off and haul *** with acceleration being the biggest focus.

I think ill be fine with the Explorer RS seat I think, but we'll see.

Old 12-12-2021, 05:53 PM
jerryleejr
Tourer
Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
I'm definitely looking at the aftermarket cams. Ill figure out what I want later though after I have a good idea of where I want the power in the bike.
After its all said and done I really wanna the bike to just take off and haul *** with acceleration being the biggest focus.

I think ill be fine with the Explorer RS seat I think, but we'll see.
You're not gonna stop until its a 131 just saying....

JJ

Old 12-12-2021, 06:16 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by jerryleejr
You're not gonna stop until its a 131 just saying....

JJ
Oh I will at stage 2 because I don't have the cash resources nor income to go anymore than stage 2.
I also just dont want to deal with what it takes to go beyond stage 2.

Old 12-12-2021, 09:27 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior

Or the increased risk of sumping. Speaking of which Fran you should have them install the latest pump while they're doing your new cam. It wasn't yet available when I had mine done. Softails rarely sump (almost never), but then you seem to like to ride it like it's a touring bike

Old 12-12-2021, 09:50 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by iHodor
Or the increased risk of sumping. Speaking of which Fran you should have them install the latest pump while they're doing your new cam. It wasn't yet available when I had mine done. Softails rarely sump (almost never), but then you seem to like to ride it like it's a touring bike
I ordered the new Screamin Eagle high performance oil pump and camplate kit. It's the cheapest of all the high performance options, and it comes with the new designed cam chain tensioner.
I already got the new Seal for it and now I just need to make sure I have the right O-ring on hand. Going to use the opportunity to cut out the stock pushrods and install the SE adjustable pushrods kit.
I've got a lot of parts in hand or on order for my stage 2 plans, except for the cam choice.

The following users liked this post:
iHodor (12-13-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 05:35 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

So I made an unfortunate discovery today.
I went to pull out the pin for the brake pedal so I could adjust it down, because it's too far up for me to operate it as naturally as I want too.
I pulled the retaining ring off and pushed the pin only to find that it hits the exhaust and wont come out.

Any suggestions? Because im not exactly happy about the idea that I'll need to take the entire damn exhaust off just to adjust my brake pedal.
I was looking at getting a different brake pedal too, the softbrake extended standard length one, and it looks like if i want to replace it i'd once again be taking the exhaust headers off.

Old 12-19-2021, 04:10 PM
jerryleejr
Tourer
Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

I have re read this whole thread more times than I can count and being as its now winter and I have the itch for a project I just want to confirm a couple things.

10" rise is the most with stock cables for a bar change?
260 on the rear seems to work fine anyone put a 180 on the front? Obviously would be a rear tire mounted in reverse...
Have not seen a lot of solo rack set ups on the rear fender is everyone just using the QD luggage rack instead?

I am sure I will have more questions as things progress but hopefully it will all sort itself out...

JJ

Quick Reply: Everything 2018 FatBoy thread