2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything 2018 FatBoy thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 11:08 AM
donsp8
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, realized I have lots of questions, what does everyone use to clean wheels, this has been an interesting task to say the least.

Old 10-15-2021, 11:16 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,905 Likes on 1,573 Posts

Originally Posted by donsp8
I have read about a lot of people getting that seat, some say it is perfect others say it is still hard or firm even after breaking it in, that is the concern I have. I am by no means a seat expert, I just want a seat that is comfortable like I had on touring bike. When you tried your new seat, was it a substantial upgrade in your opinion? Thanks for answering so soon.
After all the reviews, Saddlemen Explorer RS was the seat I went with.
iHodor's opinion in his seat played into me getting mine.

Old 10-15-2021, 12:13 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 442 Likes on 321 Posts

I have read about a lot of people getting that seat, some say it is perfect others say it is still hard or firm even after breaking it in, that is the concern I have. I am by no means a seat expert, I just want a seat that is comfortable like I had on touring bike. When you tried your new seat, was it a substantial upgrade in your opinion? Thanks for answering so soon.
Forgot to ask, do you recommend back rest
Factory seats all too often do not have a clear transition between the seat and where it rises up in the back. This leads to a serious case of butt burn after a very short ride, at least for me. I've had Ultimate Seats, Mustangs, and this Explorer (not all on this bike of course). While the Explorer does not equal the comfort of the Ultimate imo, it does equal and surpass the Mustang seat in some cases. And Ultimate has shown no interest in creating a seat for the M8 Fatboy. A shame that. Still the Explorer is a great step up from the factory seat. The Mustang reportedly puts you closer to the bars and lower, two things I did not need and wanted to avoid.
And yes I would strongly recommend a backrest. They do allow you to shift around in the seat resting parts of the body for a time, as well as supporting and bracing you while your legs reach for the controls or onto your hiway pegs/bars.

Old 10-16-2021, 12:51 PM
DC1776
Stage II
Default 18 FB stator replace

Diggin’ the thread, nice to see some love for the fatty. I’m replacing the stator on my ‘18 114 and was wondering if any here could quote me some torque specs. Still waiting for the service manual to come in. Looking for numbers on inner/outer primary, compensator nut, clutch housing nut (may be called different in manual lol), stator bolts, chain tensioner bolts. Any info would be appreciated.

Old 10-16-2021, 01:24 PM
lapinobel
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

very close to sending my ok for that 2019 fatboy… talk me out of it

Old 10-16-2021, 07:16 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior

Your description, followed by the manual's closest matching description in bold...
inner/outer primary, Primary cover screws: 144-156in.lbs.
compensator nut, Compensator Sprocket Bolt: 1st torque 100ft. lbs. Final torque 175ft.lbs.
clutch housing nut (may be called different in manual lol), Clutch Inspection Cover Screws, 84-108in.lbs.
stator bolts, Stator Mounting Screws: 55-75in.lbs.
chain tensioner bolts, Primary Chain Tensioner Fasteners: 21-24ft.lbs

The following users liked this post:
DC1776 (10-17-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 07:43 AM
DC1776
Stage II

Originally Posted by iHodor
Your description, followed by the manual's closest matching description in bold...
inner/outer primary, Primary cover screws: 144-156in.lbs.
compensator nut, Compensator Sprocket Bolt: 1st torque 100ft. lbs. Final torque 175ft.lbs.
clutch housing nut (may be called different in manual lol), Clutch Inspection Cover Screws, 84-108in.lbs.
stator bolts, Stator Mounting Screws: 55-75in.lbs.
chain tensioner bolts, Primary Chain Tensioner Fasteners: 21-24ft.lbs
Awesome, appreciate the info. As luck would have it, I had my manual in hand shortly after posting. Good reference for any searching in the future, I suppose, thanks again.

Old 10-17-2021, 09:48 AM
iHodor
Road Warrior

That's the kind of luck you want to have. Enjoy your build!

Old 10-17-2021, 10:18 AM
lapinobel
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm a bit conflicted about the handling with the wide tires. Some reviews say it's not that bad, some say it's like you're turning a tank (exagerated). I understand it won't be a naked 200kg bike, but is it really that bad, same for lean angle? Rode a FB for a very short ride, but we have no test rides here. My Low Rider S was very nimble, I suppose the FB won't be like that.

Old 10-17-2021, 12:35 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior

Haven't ridden a Lowrider but I owned a VTX1800 for nine years as well as several other bikes over four decades of riding. My FB is not nimble but it is also not unwieldy. It is relatively light and to me handles better than any bike I've ever owned. I keep mine nearly naked to keep the weight down. Lean angle is not an issue to me but I'm not the type of rider that likes to scrape pegs or push the envelope. What I like about my FB is that it's honest in that it is very consistent, handles very well, and I feel extremely comfortable on it, and consequently confident in being able to anticipate what it will and will not do. Reports of it being a tank or hard to keep in a corner are overblown.

Quick Reply: Everything 2018 FatBoy thread