2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything 2018 FatBoy thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 01:08 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 442 Likes on 321 Posts

Just take it slow and learn the bike before you go all out. You'll be fine. The reports of them being hard to handle are grossly exaggerated.

Enjoy!

The following 3 users liked this post by iHodor:
Kinshuk Arya (10-08-2021), sire86 (10-08-2021), wjcbsr (10-09-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 02:12 PM
Kinshuk Arya
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iHodor
Just take it slow and learn the bike before you go all out. You'll be fine. The reports of them being hard to handle are grossly exaggerated.

Enjoy!
thanks man... looking forward to learning this torque monster.....

Old 10-08-2021, 03:05 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior

Yeah, they do have some low end grunt

Old 10-09-2021, 09:38 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,596 Posts

So I finally got the bike here and its battery was dead, something I prepared for, not a big deal. I replaced the battery with a lifepo4 battery from Battery Tender, bike started twice just fine.
Geared up and went for a ride(3rd Start), got back from the ride parked the bike, was super happy. Rides real nice with the tires dumped up properly.
Went back out to take a walk around video and start the bike... and the bike wouldnt turn over. "That's weird" turned it off and back on again, wouldnt start. Both times it just clicked, and then turned off.
And the 3rd attempt time toggling the power switch.
No lights, nothing but a ticking sound. And then it just sat there making the ticking sound every few seconds.
It wouldnt stop the ticking so I disconnected the battery negative, put it under the rain cover and left it there at the parking spot.
Before I put the cover on I touched the negative back to the battery terminal after it was disconnected for a good 30seconds. And it returned back to making that tick sound every few seconds.

After that, It was raining too hard to pull the battery out or do anything else.
I waited 3 weeks, got to ride it for a quick jaunt around the city, and now it's down again and I have no idea what would cause it to sit there and just tick.
Not even turn on, no lights, nothing, just sits there and ticks as long as the battery is connected.

Before I installed the new battery my GF used a voltimeter to check the battery and it was sitting at 12.94volts

Old 10-09-2021, 11:12 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior

Some things to check, from the manual

3. Dischanged battery, loose of corroded connections (solenoid chatters).
4. Starter control circuit faulty.
7. Security System activated
10. Main fuse not in place.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
roadrunner1414 (10-10-2021)
Old 10-10-2021, 05:38 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by iHodor
Some things to check, from the manual

3. Dischanged battery, loose of corroded connections (solenoid chatters).
4. Starter control circuit faulty.
7. Security System activated
10. Main fuse not in place.

Good luck!
Ok so after doing some tinkering, I have a strange development.
I grabbed a voltmeter and went down to the bike, touched the volt meter probes to the battery negative and the bolt to the gas tank. It read off 13.4v
I took the covers off and touched the terminals directly with the probes and same 13.4volts.

That's a fairly charged voltage for a LiFePO4 battery. So I touched the negative to the terminal and the bike practically started turning over all on it's own, but wasn't able to start itself.
Strangely It was not in starting mode itself.

So for troubleshooting sake, I bolted the negative terminal bolt down, and connected my jumper battery, flip the bike to Run, and the bike started right up.
I pulled the jumper battery off the terminals and the bike sat there and ran. Revved the engine, it looks fine, sounds find. I didn't see any trouble codes, or anything show up that looked like a warning or anything like that.

I turned the run switch off and the engine cut out, but the bike kept trying to turn over until the battery seemed to give up and then it just sat there and clicked repeatedly.
The LiFePO4 battery for some reason will not start the bike on it's own.
And the bike seems to be stuck in Start Up mode, as if the starter button is stuck held down. While the bike was running I didnt hear anything like the starter being constantly engaged however.

Unfortunately it started to rain on me so I put the raincover back on the bike, grabbed all the tools and cover bits I took off and came back inside.
Nothing more I can do in the pouring rain, and with an old dead OEM battery, and a seemingly messed up LiFePO4 battery.
I placed an order for an AGM battery off revzilla so It looks like I'll have to wait until that gets here before I can do anything else.

I did notice when I was putting in the new battery that in the plastic battery box floor 2 of the bolts were really loose, looking as if they were about to fall out, so I tightened them down.
Are those 2 supposed to be loose? I'm not seeing anything in the 2018 Manual about the battery box bolts.

Old 10-10-2021, 10:06 AM
iHodor
Road Warrior

Loose bolts? I would guess not. And you have something else going on, Either the switch in the handlebar is sticking as you said, or maybe your starter control circuit is staying closed. Bad solenoid? I assume there is a direct connection between the hot side of the batt to the solenoid? If so, and if the solenoid is faulty it could be sticking in the closed position.
Was the bike ridden or stored in the rain Fran? If so you could start with the starter switch on the bars and see if those contacts are cruddy and possibly sticking on. I would assume they are easier to get to than the solenoid itself. But those loose bolts on the batt tray might be an indication that this problem is not entirely new. Another thing to check would be whether or not the solenoid is mounted tightly. I've never even seen mine but if it's like an automobile part it could be shorting against something metal if not bolted down tightly.

Old 10-10-2021, 10:41 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

The test ride after the battery replacement was in the rain. I'm assuming that wasn't the first ride the bike experienced in the rain either.
I guess I got some investigating to do.
Thanks for the input, ill report back once I can actually mess with it and see whats going on.

Old 10-10-2021, 01:44 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Update, sadly the bike seems to be broken. I tried attaching the old OEM battery back into the bike, and the moment I touched the contacts the bike tried to start itself.
A dealership is coming to pick up the bike and then diagnose and repair the starter system.

I don't personally have the tools nor dexterity nor place to work on something like this myself.
Thanks for the insight iHodor.

Old 10-10-2021, 03:58 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior

Hopefully it won't be too painful Fran. I don't know who you bought the bike from but also hopefully they may stand behind the bike enough to at least partially pay for the repair. It couldn't hurt to ask, and I've had a good experience with that in the past. Some people really do want to do the right thing.

Quick Reply: Everything 2018 FatBoy thread