2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything 2018 FatBoy thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 03:47 AM
lapinobel
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

So I recently sold my Low Rider S. Didn't like the seating position, the harsh front suspension and some other minor things which took the enjoyment out of the bike for me. I'm 173cm tall and weigh 70kg, so not a big guy. Anyway, the LRS is gone and I got myself a whole different brand/type for longer rides. But I do miss the "Harley feel" and am looking into a Fat Boy 2nd hand (2019 model for sale close to me). Will probably not be used for daylong trips or twisty stuff, just for short rides with my friend (owns a Breakout) and small trips with a max 1 hour ride at a time. Still, how is the Fat Boy for comfort, especially suspension wise? I don't want/need a sporty/stiff ride, just something that feels nice and plush on less good roads. Always wanted and liked a Fat Boy, it's a big bike for sure but I'm used to large bikes (never had an issue with the LRS).

So, would appreciate your input. I rode my friend's Breakout for a bit, and kinda liked the seating position although it was a bit too much forward leaning for me but also found it pretty stiff on the front. So mainly looking for info if the Fat Boy is better. There's no way for me to test ride one, nor will the person selling his let me ride it (which I appreciate/understand, too much risk)

Old 09-28-2021, 04:35 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,596 Posts

What's the stock bar's rise on the fat boy?
Stock riser height is 2 1/2 inch iirc.

I'm trying to figure out if I can install a 7inch set of mini apes with a 1 1/2inch riser without having to replace any of the cables.

Old 09-28-2021, 06:54 AM
ajclassic
Cruiser
Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII

I'm trying to figure out if I can install a 7inch set of mini apes with a 1 1/2inch riser without having to replace any of the cables.

Im believing that you can. I thought you could put on a set of 12" apes and keep stock cables. Dont quote me but im pretty sure.

Old 09-28-2021, 10:36 AM
Monteman1971
Road Captain
Received 190 Likes on 126 Posts

Never seen it but I am gonna do the 260mm Rear tire.
Some people have said with the breakout and fat boy if you put a 260 rear on your bike it gives the rear tire a more aggressive profile and makes the bike corner better.
My bike has the original set of tires on it and so I uh definitely need to get new tires out of safety reasons alone. Old tires=bad grip. Original owner nor dealership cared to check the tires, so it falls on me. Such is life.

A wider tire is not going to make it handle better. That's why so many complain about the Fatboy. The wide tires are what make it a bit more difficult to lean then other bikes. We as owners understand that it's a cruiser and not a sport bike and that it's also about the look. Once you are use to it I think it handles very well but you can never say it's nimble...lol

But I think if you want the look of the 260, go for it but don't expect it to handle better.

My 2 cents
Steve

Old 09-28-2021, 10:40 AM
Bob Z.
Road Master
Veteran: Navy
Received 297 Likes on 178 Posts

A fat front will handle better with about 40 psi - worked on my past Road Glide and now on the Fat Boy.

Old 09-28-2021, 11:05 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by Monteman1971
A wider tire is not going to make it handle better. That's why so many complain about the Fatboy. The wide tires are what make it a bit more difficult to lean then other bikes. We as owners understand that it's a cruiser and not a sport bike and that it's also about the look. Once you are use to it I think it handles very well but you can never say it's nimble...lol

But I think if you want the look of the 260, go for it but don't expect it to handle better.

My 2 cents
Steve
The wider 260 on the 240 rim does not end up being notably wider physically, it makes the profile of the tire taller and more rounded because it is being pinched down more, which gives the tire a more aggressive profile.
It's the same effect of putting a more aggressive profile of a tire on any kind of motorcycle. The more aggressive the tire profile the more easily the bike will lean into a turn.
This isnt just an idea for the m8 fatboy, people do this with the breakout VROD and other non harley bikes like the Suzuki M109R.

The following users liked this post:
Lone Cabbage (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 11:25 AM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 442 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
A fat front will handle better with about 40 psi - worked on my past Road Glide and now on the Fat Boy.
The downside to this Bob, with this particular bike and these tires which wear out pretty darn quick is that putting 4 additional pounds of air in them will cause them to wear just that much quicker.

Monteman1971 (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 04:34 PM
Lone Cabbage
Advanced
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ajclassic
Im believing that you can. I thought you could put on a set of 12" apes and keep stock cables. Dont quote me but im pretty sure.
You can't do 12" without changing wires and cables, I had to change them to fit 10" apes on my '18. You can get away with the stock clutch cable on 10" if you reroute it, but there is not enough slack for 12".

ajclassic (09-29-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 04:39 PM
Lone Cabbage
Advanced
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

The stock bars are around 7", so I'm not sure you are going to gain anything other than maybe a change in wrist angle.

Old 09-28-2021, 05:20 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 442 Likes on 321 Posts

FWIW I put the HD 4" risers on my stock bars without changing cables. Different kettle of fish I know but wanted to put it out there for someone else to use in the future.

Quick Reply: Everything 2018 FatBoy thread