Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 03:35 PM
snerkler
Tourer
Received 103 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by iHodor
Post #15 in this thread shows the two seats from the same angle

I'm not sure which pictures of the risers you're referring to HarleyDEU
Thanks for this. It is difficult to tell how it would be for each rider, as you say you can move back more on the stock but will eventually slide forward. My tall boy seat on the RK has less of a dip I think but I do find that I keep shuffling myself back, but I’m guessing this is not so easy on the saddlemen.

Old 03-26-2021, 06:08 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 442 Likes on 321 Posts

After having several expensive aftermarket seats I believe the biggest reason that stock seats are uncomfortable is because a lot of them have no sharp transition between the seat area and where the seat rises in the back. I don't know about the tallboy but on all the stock seats I've had they are very similar to the factory FB seat. Your backside constantly moves forward because the seat support is shaped that way. On the Explorer, the Mustangs I've owned, and the Ultimates I've owned the seat area ends at the point where the back of the seat rises from it. In a nearly 90º angle. So the butt is not supported by the back at all, instead it's flat on the seat. I don't find my backside moving forward on the Explorer, it stays firmly against the back of the seat. If all seats were this way then it would all come down to the material used to cushion the seat and we wouldn't have to immediately start looking for a better seat as soon as we rode the bike away from the dealer, assuming they used quality foam for the seat area. I have no complaints regarding the Explorer, it's almost as comfortable as the Ultimate seat I had on my VTX. Of course if Ultimate made one for the FB I would have bought one of those if it also moved me up and back. If you look at the pictures I posted and concentrate on the vertical transition between seat and back this will all make more sense.

The following users liked this post:
snerkler (03-27-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 07:15 PM
HarleyDEU
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Post #15 in this thread shows the two seats from the same angle

I'm not sure which pictures of the risers you're referring to HarleyDEU
sorry for misunderstanding. I’m looking for pictures of the FLFBS with 4” risers.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:09 PM
ttyndall
Club Member
Received 174 Likes on 105 Posts

HarleyDEU, Look back at post 572. That is my 2019 Fatboy S. It has Harley 4" risers. Maybe if you expand one of the pictures you can see what you are looking for.

pinoy (05-15-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 09:45 PM
roadrunner1414
Road Master
Received 707 Likes on 445 Posts

Got a nice 600km ride in with the pillion in a billion. Perfect weather and riding conditions.
28 degrees C and hardly any traffic.

The following 2 users liked this post by roadrunner1414:
lowfly (03-27-2021), Stormin70 (03-26-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 12:13 AM
iHodor
Road Warrior

Here's mine with the HD 4" risers. Hope it helps.

The following 2 users liked this post by iHodor:
HarleyDEU (03-27-2021), snerkler (03-27-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 03:01 AM
snerkler
Tourer

After having several expensive aftermarket seats I believe the biggest reason that stock seats are uncomfortable is because a lot of them have no sharp transition between the seat area and where the seat rises in the back. I don't know about the tallboy but on all the stock seats I've had they are very similar to the factory FB seat. Your backside constantly moves forward because the seat support is shaped that way. On the Explorer, the Mustangs I've owned, and the Ultimates I've owned the seat area ends at the point where the back of the seat rises from it. In a nearly 90º angle. So the butt is not supported by the back at all, instead it's flat on the seat. I don't find my backside moving forward on the Explorer, it stays firmly against the back of the seat. If all seats were this way then it would all come down to the material used to cushion the seat and we wouldn't have to immediately start looking for a better seat as soon as we rode the bike away from the dealer, assuming they used quality foam for the seat area. I have no complaints regarding the Explorer, it's almost as comfortable as the Ultimate seat I had on my VTX. Of course if Ultimate made one for the FB I would have bought one of those if it also moved me up and back. If you look at the pictures I posted and concentrate on the vertical transition between seat and back this will all make more sense.
Thanks, I agree with your views too on why you slide forward. As and when the dealerships open I'll take the FB for a test ride, and if I like it I'll then decide on which seat and backrest to get. The saddlemen does look good but I wish they did one with a lower profile/no pillion seat. The Corbin looks good but I'm not keen on the Donut shaped backrest I'm not sure why HD designed the Softail with so little provisions for a backrest tbh.

Old 03-27-2021, 03:04 AM
snerkler
Tourer

Here's mine with the HD 4" risers. Hope it helps.
Just seen this since writing my last post, the lines of the pillion seat look much better here than the previous photos you posted, I quite like it now. On the previous photos it looked far too 'bulky' for some reason, must have just been the angle.

Do the risers bring the bars back as well or just up? Do they require any extra cabling?

Old 03-27-2021, 08:56 AM
iHodor
Road Warrior

Bars come up and back, both about 2". With these HD risers I did not have to redo any of the cables/wiring, and nothing is overly tight. Best of luck on your search for a Fat Boy!

The following 2 users liked this post by iHodor:
HarleyDEU (03-30-2021), snerkler (03-27-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 09:49 AM
snerkler
Tourer

Bars come up and back, both about 2". With these HD risers I did not have to redo any of the cables/wiring, and nothing is overly tight. Best of luck on your search for a Fat Boy!
cool, thanks for all your help.

iHodor (03-27-2021)

Quick Reply: Everything 2018 FatBoy thread