2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything 2018 FatBoy thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 04:33 PM
rohlenroth
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put on 10" rise handle bars. I had to purchase 8" electrical cable extensions, a 2" longer upper clutch cable, and a 6" longer brake hose from HD.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:59 PM
Ref_FLFBS
Stage I
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2 up riding - seat recommendations

Bought my FLFBS in spring of 2019. First bike ever. Wife thought I was crazy but that's just my personality.
Been considering getting a new seat for 2 up riding. Factory seat isn't cutting it. Too uncomfortable after 60 miles.
I'm 5'7" so need to consider height and position. Everything is basically factory.
Any recommendations?

The following 2 users liked this post by Ref_FLFBS:
Heed (03-25-2021), snerkler (04-03-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 05:05 PM
roadrunner1414
Road Master
Received 707 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Ref_FLFBS;[url=tel:19823579
19823579[/url]]Bought my FLFBS in spring of 2019. First bike ever. Wife thought I was crazy but that's just my personality.
Been considering getting a new seat for 2 up riding. Factory seat isn't cutting it. Too uncomfortable after 60 miles.
I'm 5'7" so need to consider height and position. Everything is basically factory.
Any recommendations?
I found the rider seat was comfortable and reach wise was good for me. And after a few thousand miles it really softened up, or maybe I just got used to it more but it seemed to break in.
My wife wanted more comfort as we do a lot of miles, replaced the pillion pad with the sundowner pillion keeping the original rider seat. Happy wife, happy life. She loves it, much more comfortable.

The following users liked this post:
Ref_FLFBS (03-25-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 02:32 AM
Tomo 87
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Ref_FLFBS
Bought my FLFBS in spring of 2019. First bike ever. Wife thought I was crazy but that's just my personality.
Any recommendations?

Im 5'11 and have a sundowner rider and pillion combo. Much more comfortable, a little wider and retains the stock look. Wife is happy with the pillion also.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:10 AM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 442 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by snerkler
Hi, I see you have the saddlemen seat, do you find it changes the rider position over stock? The back of the seat looks more angled and steeper than the stock, do you find this more comfortable?
Saddlemen brings you up 2" and back 2". I have pictures in a thread here somewhere in which I show it and the stock seat the pictures are lined up and clearly show this. I'm 6'1" and it's exactly what I needed to be able to ride comfortable on the bike.

snerkler (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 09:29 AM
snerkler
Tourer
Received 103 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by iHodor
Saddlemen brings you up 2" and back 2". I have pictures in a thread here somewhere in which I show it and the stock seat the pictures are lined up and clearly show this. I'm 6'1" and it's exactly what I needed to be able to ride comfortable on the bike.
Thanks very much, I appreciate it.

Since asking this I found the other thread where you have mentioned it and it was questioned by another member as Saddlemen replied to them saying it doesn’t change the riding position, and yesterday I got a response from them saying the same thing that it doesn’t change the riding position. Very odd that they don’t know their own product, unless they’ve changed the design?

As it raises you up as well did you find that you needed to raise the handlebars or do they still feel in a comfortable position, I’m 6’4” and wonder if they’ll feel too low? Lastly, with the steeper/more angled rear to the seat do you find it as comfortable?

Old 03-26-2021, 09:40 AM
iHodor
Road Warrior

I don't remember if it was before or after but I did put HD 4" risers on my bike. This is not uncommon for me as I've done it to other bikes also. But between the risers and the seat I am now very comfortable on my bike. With the backrest behind the seat my back no longer protests either. Back surgery in my past required that mod. As did the powerful grunt of these motors. Before I became completely used to the bike, hitting bumps propelled me rearward to the point where it felt like I was going to slide off the seat. Saddlemen was nice enough to take my first seat, which I did not buy from them but was still in like new condition, in trade for a seat with a backrest. I only had to pay the difference and shipping. Good company to deal with.

Did you find my post with the two pictures?

snerkler (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 10:02 AM
snerkler
Tourer
Received 103 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't remember if it was before or after but I did put HD 4" risers on my bike. This is not uncommon for me as I've done it to other bikes also. But between the risers and the seat I am now very comfortable on my bike. With the backrest behind the seat my back no longer protests either. Back surgery in my past required that mod. As did the powerful grunt of these motors. Before I became completely used to the bike, hitting bumps propelled me rearward to the point where it felt like I was going to slide off the seat. Saddlemen was nice enough to take my first seat, which I did not buy from them but was still in like new condition, in trade for a seat with a backrest. I only had to pay the difference and shipping. Good company to deal with.

Thanks again. A back rest is a must for me with a naked bike as the windblast causes too much stress on my back and hips. I’ve put the tallboy seat on my Road King (which you can use a backrest with) and it makes a difference, but in an ideal world I’d still like a bit more leg room. It’s a while since I went on the Fat Boy, I can’t remember if this has more leg room than the Road King?

I didn’t find the post with the two pics unfortunately.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:50 AM
HarleyDEU
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

These pictures with 4“ risers on the FLFBS would be great to show them again!

Old 03-26-2021, 02:21 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior

Post #15 in this thread shows the two seats from the same angle

I'm not sure which pictures of the risers you're referring to HarleyDEU

snerkler (03-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Everything 2018 FatBoy thread