2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything 2018 FatBoy thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 12:06 AM
KenRice
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First impressions:
It's not hard to ride this bike at all. The dealership is about 100 miles away so I had a nice final ride on my slim and could easily compare the two after riding home. After the first two turns I just figured out how much harder to press into turns and the ride home was so smooth. I also took the Fatboy to the parking lot the MSF course is held in and was surprised with how agile this bike felt. Like everyone else said, the torque is amazing. The only thing is I need to chase down a rattle at about 200 rpm. I'm glad I made the decision to trade in my slim and go with the new Fatboy!

Next up is installing the Leatherpro bags I just ordered so it will be easier for me to ride to work on nice days.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:22 PM
MrNovember80
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Congrats on the new ride Ken; mine had a rattle up front that it turned out to be one of my turn signals being loose. I actually went through entire bike and made sure everything else was properly adjusted, mirrors, turn signals, belt guards pegs floor boards etc.

Hopefully is one of those easy fixes for you too.
Ride safe!

Old 05-13-2018, 09:13 PM
ScoobyDooHarley
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I sold my '14 SG a week ago and just picked up my '18 Black Tempest yesterday. I have to say it's quite a fun ride. I love the look of it. Always been a FAT rear tire guy. I love hearing about all the mods you guys are doing but pictures would sure help. I'd like to see what some of this stuff looks like installed.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:55 PM
RoadKingfan
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all, anyone know what pipes these are? Thanks!

Last edited by RoadKingfan; 07-30-2018 at 07:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pinoy (07-08-2019)
Old 08-06-2018, 01:29 AM
TnFatboy
Road Master
Received 426 Likes on 230 Posts

Has anyone had any issues with oil coming out the breather? I’ve had my FatBoy(114) for about three months and ever since my 1000 mile service it’s been doing this (3000 miles now). I called my local dealer where I bought the bike and of course they say nothing to worry about just keep an eye on it, but then I called two others and their techs said it’s not normal and to get it looked at which I plan to do on my next free day. At this point I’m really not comfortable taking it to said local dealer because they either don’t know what they’re talking about or don’t wanna deal with so I’ll use one of the others. Either way it’s under warranty so they gotta fix it , right? Anyway just wondering if anyone else has had this issue??

Old 08-06-2018, 02:00 AM
Oz Gary
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Just check the level of oil as mine from the 1st service was 150ml too much and was weeping out of the filter. After removing some fluid I have not had the issue again

Old 08-06-2018, 02:47 AM
TnFatboy
Road Master
Received 426 Likes on 230 Posts

Yeah actually the first thing I did was check the level and it was half a quart low...checked with engine hot on kickstand like manual says. I added almost half quart to just below full line, ran for a couple hundred miles and now back to about half a quart low again.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:39 PM
oldsoldier181
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,887 Likes on 4,400 Posts

So, the heritage is my new favorite model, and, as such, I am hoping that, for the 120th anniversary, they do a special model for this one again (likely wont, but a guy can hope!!!). Although, I am curious, and, this came up while discussing with my brother about this model:
It seems, at least to the people I speak with on a regular basis, that the blacked out studs on the bags are the least liked "improvement". To me, it almost seems as if the MoCo wants to remove the studs altogether, but shorted themselves, just in case, and opted to black them out, to see how people reacted.
Personally, I liked the chrome studs-this is the style of bike that one would choose if chrome is your thing-and modernizing it by blacking those out, just seems like an odd step to me.
Do you think they will bring back chrome as an option? Just projecting, of course. Here is what I hope will happen:
HD gets feedback regarding blacked out studs, and reverts to chrome again.
HD doesnt get significant feedback, and keeps them blacked out
HD makes chrome (or black, for that matter), an option for buyers (this is my hopeful choice).
Just curious though-do others kinda miss the chrome studs? They were kinda like a personal badge for this bike.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:52 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,526 Likes on 2,138 Posts

Hi all. Picked up my '19 114 today. Have a couple of questions. Asked about handlebar cable length in a separate thread but got no takers, so I'll ask here as well. I plan on taller bars, likely 8" rise drags. For those of you who changed bars, how much extra cable is there? Enough for 8 or 10" rise? My Dyna had plenty, wondering how much extra there is on the FB.

Also, has anyone used a license plate relo kit? I'm not a fan of the stock "sticking out the side" location. Looking for a kit that moves it to the fender. Great Bike Gear has a kit but it's $400 which is a bit high IMO.

Here she is - unmolested for now!

Anyway, I've been a pretty active poster on the Dyna and Touring forums, but now that they're gone and I'm down to just my FXR and my new Fat Boy, I'll probably be spending time here.

Thanks

The following users liked this post:
pinoy (07-08-2019)
Old 10-23-2018, 07:30 PM
wheelred12
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default my fatty

I picked mine up a few months ago and threw V&H mini grenades on it to get noisy. They are good and loud. Next is going to bars but cant decide between apes or slammers

Last edited by wheelred12; 10-23-2018 at 07:43 PM. Reason: brighter pic
The following 4 users liked this post by wheelred12:
bchulse (04-05-2023), gallor1 (04-26-2023), kite (09-26-2022), pinoy (07-08-2019)

Quick Reply: Everything 2018 FatBoy thread