2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything 2018 FatBoy thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 03:15 PM
BLKBETY
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormin70
IIRC, I paid half of what he did because I used the new “board to peg” conversion kit. That costs about half what buying the individual Breakout parts costs. The kit costs $199 plus 2 foot pegs of your choice.
I didn't buy individual breakout parts, I brought the board to peg conversion which you have to have to then use the breakout 3 inch foward extension bracket , which cost more but I could couldn't care less because I couldn't ride it cramped up like that. I'd pay the same again for another couple inches haha any day of the week.
The tallboy seat sits much further back against the saddlemen

Old 02-21-2021, 03:40 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,699 Likes on 1,474 Posts

Originally Posted by iHodor
I'd wager a good seat, like the Explorer that lifts you up and back 2" in each direction would solve the issue you're describing. I'm 6'1" and it did for me. And judging by one member who went the peg route and posted his costs here I believe I paid about half what he did by buying a seat and leaving my floorboards in place. But hey, it will be your bike and you should make it yours, as you want it.
Explorer RS seat is one of my first purchase items along with the crash bar+frame sliders, and LEDs.
A bunch of people said the Step Up seat is good for a while but for long trips and extended rides it gets tiring.
But no such complaints about the explorer. Wider seat with the Couch cushion buttons kinda fits the fat boy's profile and style better anyways.
I'm definitely gonna be checking stuff first. People are saying they got some more lean angle out of pegs too.
I'm totally being influenced by style here. I'm liking the Airflow shifter peg, Willie G brake pedal, chrome slotted billet shift lever arm, chrome slotted shifter linkage, I want to chrome/brush metallic the peg/board supports, so am looking at things that fit that sort of setup. Grooved black and base chrome styling.

These are all the peg options I had in mind, any other suggestions would be great.

Old 02-21-2021, 03:50 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormin70
IIRC, I paid half of what he did because I used the new “board to peg” conversion kit. That costs about half what buying the individual Breakout parts costs. The kit costs $199 plus 2 foot pegs of your choice.
Well that is about half to two thirds of what my seat cost, so if pegs work best that's pretty cool.

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Explorer RS seat is one of my first purchase items along with the crash bar+frame sliders, and LEDs.
A bunch of people said the Step Up seat is good for a while but for long trips and extended rides it gets tiring.
But no such complaints about the explorer. Wider seat with the Couch cushion buttons kinda fits the fat boy's profile and style better anyways.
I'm definitely gonna be checking stuff first. People are saying they got some more lean angle out of pegs too.
I'm totally being influenced by style here. I'm liking the Airflow shifter peg, Willie G brake pedal, chrome slotted billet shift lever arm, chrome slotted shifter linkage, I want to chrome/brush metallic the peg/board supports, so am looking at things that fit that sort of setup. Grooved black and base chrome styling.

These are all the peg options I had in mind, any other suggestions would be great.

For main pegs I'd go with the typical rider peg if I didn't like my boards. The other five you have there are primarily highway bar pegs. But personally I like boards much better than pegs. And boards with highway bars and pegs combined are the best of both worlds.

Old 02-21-2021, 04:01 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Im not getting the mustache or standard crashbar. Im getting the bungking two step with the delrin sliders.
My favorite pick out of the lot so far is the top left. Those are the Kuryakyn ISO with Dually stirrups.
Send probably top left, Kuryakyn kinetic mini boards, and then 3rd is those harley defiance chrome and black pegs.

All those pegs I picked out are all rider pegs. I think they all fit the style points i got in my head mock up.

Old 02-21-2021, 04:14 PM
BLKBETY
Intermediate

Im not getting the mustache or standard crashbar. Im getting the bungking two step with the delrin sliders.
My favorite pick out of the lot so far is the top left. Those are the Kuryakyn ISO with Dually stirrups.
Send probably top left, Kuryakyn kinetic mini boards, and then 3rd is those harley defiance chrome and black pegs.

All those pegs I picked out are all rider pegs. I think they all fit the style points i got in my head mock up.
yep I've got the HD defiance pegs as rider pegs and they are really good.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:49 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by BLKBETY
yep I've got the HD defiance pegs as rider pegs and they are really good.
Yeah they look nice and got those feeler tips too.
The ISO ones though with the stir ups got me lookin at them the most because they have that extra bit of room for positioning. I like the wide fat wing shape too.
Probably gonna drop considering everything else except for the kinetic miniboards and the defiance pegs.
I decide I dont like the look of those imitation rivets on the performance machine pegs.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:16 PM
BLKBETY
Intermediate

[QUOTE=FranBunnyFFXII;19753538]Yeah they look nice and got those feeler tips too.
The ISO ones though with the stir ups got me lookin at them the most because they have that extra bit of room for positioning. I like the wide fat wing shape too.
Probably gonna drop considering everything else except for the kinetic miniboards and the defiance pegs.
I decide I dont like the look of those imitation rivets on the performance machine pegs.[/
QUOTE]
yea nice one, yep they do have the changeable wear bolt , mines half scrapped off. Good stuff

Old 02-21-2021, 08:18 PM
BLKBETY
Intermediate

Yeah they look nice and got those feeler tips too.
I decide I dont like the look of those imitation rivets on the performance machine pegs.
The long peg is good to hand ya heel over and kick ya foot out and relax stretched out

Old 02-23-2021, 09:12 AM
Rengnath
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKBETY
I didn't buy individual breakout parts, I brought the board to peg conversion which you have to have to then use the breakout 3 inch foward extension bracket , which cost more but I could couldn't care less because I couldn't ride it cramped up like that. I'd pay the same again for another couple inches haha any day of the week.
The tallboy seat sits much further back against the saddlemen
I have been wondering myself why the 3” forward kit from the breakout won’t work with the floor boards.... to me it appears the floor board bracket uses the same holes as the pegs bracket, is the right? Did you try to line things up at all to see if they work or did you just assume based on the fitment guide ?

thanks for any help you can provide on this, I just got a new 21 Fatboy and this is the first time with a new softail, I used to have a dyna and then ended up having two touring bikes so I just sold one and went back to a midsize.

Old 02-23-2021, 03:38 PM
BLKBETY
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rengnath
I have been wondering myself why the 3” forward kit from the breakout won’t work with the floor boards.... to me it appears the floor board bracket uses the same holes as the pegs bracket, is the right? Did you try to line things up at all to see if they work or did you just assume based on the fitment guide ?

thanks for any help you can provide on this, I just got a new 21 Fatboy and this is the first time with a new softail, I used to have a dyna and then ended up having two touring bikes so I just sold one and went back to a midsize.
Hey mate
I think it will but I didn't want boards. I didn't try line it up but looking at it they use the same holes. I used a 2020, fatboy board to peg conversion, and A breakout 3 inch foward kit that I was told won't fit a fatboy but it does. Why the harley harley don't do a 3 inch board or peg kit for a fatty is beyond me mate its ridiculous. Boards may stick out too far? But I know fact that pegs work. Fatboy board to peg kit and breakout 3 inch foward kit together , the fatboy board to peg kit bolts straight to the breakout 3 inch plate so I would say the boards will too. Hope that helps

But you ankles might be on a weird angle with flat boards out so far man. Honestly the pegs are amazing.
3 inch foward pegs and 2 inch back with a HD tallboy seat its good. I'm 6'4

The following users liked this post:
HarleyDEU (02-28-2021)

Quick Reply: Everything 2018 FatBoy thread