2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything 2018 FatBoy thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 11:22 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,699 Likes on 1,474 Posts

Originally Posted by iHodor
I haven't noticed mine doing it Fran, and I mount and dismount from the right side while standing on the floorboard.
huh. I was looking at the ride free floorboard inserts or the kuryakyn phantom floorboards and I noticed that the phantoms are solid mounted to the flip up mechanism, but the riderfree ones are mounted via those rubber bulbs that you pull through the bottom.
kuryakyn is saying that they're designed to dampen vibration.
Thanks for the reply hodor.

Old 02-20-2021, 11:26 PM
Stormin70
Tourer
Received 274 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Hey guys quick question, do the floorboard inserts on the bike flex and tilt around?
I was watching this guy install something on his roadglide and I noticed when his foot when moved around on the floorboard surface it would tilt and flex in that direction.
Do the floorboards that that on the fat boy?
I seem to remember mine having some action to them, but to be honest it’s been almost a year since I swapped them out for pegs. IIRC, it’s the large rubber pad that tilts inside the metal frame. I don’t remember it being a large range of motion tho.

Old 02-20-2021, 11:36 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Stormin70
I seem to remember mine having some action to them, but to be honest it’s been almost a year since I swapped them out for pegs. IIRC, it’s the large rubber pad that tilts inside the metal frame. I don’t remember it being a large range of motion tho.
Any noticeable increase in foot fatigue or stuff like that since swapping to pegs?

Old 02-21-2021, 12:39 AM
BLKBETY
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey guys quick question, do the floorboard inserts on the bike flex and tilt around?
I was watching this guy install something on his roadglide and I noticed when his foot when moved around on the floorboard surface it would tilt and flex in that direction.
Do the floorboards that that on the fat boy?
yea they do the boards are spring mountEd and the insert has moves too. I ripped my off anyway

Old 02-21-2021, 08:57 AM
Stormin70
Tourer

Any noticeable increase in foot fatigue or stuff like that since swapping to pegs?
IMHO, the pegs are 1,000 times better, and very comfortable. I always felt cramped with the boards and my legs were in an awkward position where the boards felt like they were too high and bent my knees too much. For reference, I’m 5’10”.

Old 02-21-2021, 02:31 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Stormin70
IMHO, the pegs are 1,000 times better, and very comfortable. I always felt cramped with the boards and my legs were in an awkward position where the boards felt like they were too high and bent my knees too much. For reference, I’m 5’10”.
hm. I'm 5ft11in 6ft with boots on, and a 34inch inseam as well. Maybe peg conversion instead of new boards purely for style might be a better choice then.
Do you know what your inseam is?

Old 02-21-2021, 02:58 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

I'd wager a good seat, like the Explorer that lifts you up and back 2" in each direction would solve the issue you're describing. I'm 6'1" and it did for me. And judging by one member who went the peg route and posted his costs here I believe I paid about half what he did by buying a seat and leaving my floorboards in place. But hey, it will be your bike and you should make it yours, as you want it.

Old 02-21-2021, 03:03 PM
Stormin70
Tourer

hm. I'm 5ft11in 6ft with boots on, and a 34inch inseam as well. Maybe peg conversion instead of new boards purely for style might be a better choice then.
32” inseam

Old 02-21-2021, 03:05 PM
Stormin70
Tourer

Originally Posted by iHodor
I'd wager a good seat, like the Explorer that lifts you up and back 2" in each direction would solve the issue you're describing. I'm 6'1" and it did for me. And judging by one member who went the peg route and posted his costs here I believe I paid about half what he did by buying a seat and leaving my floorboards in place. But hey, it will be your bike and you should make it yours, as you want it.
IIRC, I paid half of what he did because I used the new “board to peg” conversion kit. That costs about half what buying the individual Breakout parts costs. The kit costs $199 plus 2 foot pegs of your choice.

The following users liked this post:
HarleyDEU (02-28-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 03:08 PM
BLKBETY
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm 6'4 plus my boots aboots hated the boards, I got 3 inch extended forwards and put pegs on 10000 times better , no foot fatigue. But my legs were still too long to hang my heel on the pegs. But I rode it 16hrs no problems.
I just got a HD tallboy seat and got another couple inches back with the seat . Better again

This is with 3 inch foward pegs and tallboy seat

The following users liked this post:
HarleyDEU (02-28-2021)

Quick Reply: Everything 2018 FatBoy thread