2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything 2018 FatBoy thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 04:55 PM
Cootey
Road Captain
Received 249 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by skak
They sit higher than the stock pipes so I'm thinking it will be good. This was the reason I opted for the Rinehart pipes. I really liked the Bassani's but they sit low and there are lots of complaints about clearance.
Sweet thanks!

Yeah my Bassani can cause dramas. It touches down before the feelers, but only just.

Old 09-16-2020, 03:28 AM
Rogues
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just because............. sometimes a fat **** just looks awesome..........

The following 3 users liked this post by Rogues:
Padre (09-16-2020), TJ_Ben (12-03-2020), wjcbsr (09-16-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 02:03 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Does anyone know of any compensator upgrade that fits the Fat boy?
I checked with Baker and DarkHorse Crank works and neither's upgraded compensator fits the Fat Boy.
The only thing I've found is the TwinPower USA's Solid compensator elimanator sprocket.
https://twinpower-usa.com/34t-compen...tors-1349.html
https://twinpower-usa.com/blog/now-a...lr-models.html
I'm under the impression that you kinda need a compensator there, and not having one is a pretty good way to overstress your transmission gears.

Does anyone know of an upgraded comp for the FLFBS or are the fat boys shitouttaluck?

EDIT: there's also this from Dayco, https://www.partzilla.com/product/af...TDRIVES-CS-34A
But I can't find any information about it.

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 09-21-2020 at 02:15 AM.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:12 AM
ttyndall
Club Member
Received 174 Likes on 105 Posts

Not what you are looking for but one that I am getting ready to order. Evolution-Industries has a 30 Tooth Compensator Eliminator (Solid Sprocket) for the Fatboy.
Could not find the Compensator and wanted the 30 Tooth. Checked with Evolution-Industries and Roger Maddox answered and confirmed it would fit the Fatboy.
https://www.evolution-industries.com...or-eliminator/

Old 09-21-2020, 11:48 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by ttyndall
Not what you are looking for but one that I am getting ready to order. Evolution-Industries has a 30 Tooth Compensator Eliminator (Solid Sprocket) for the Fatboy.
Could not find the Compensator and wanted the 30 Tooth. Checked with Evolution-Industries and Roger Maddox answered and confirmed it would fit the Fatboy.
https://www.evolution-industries.com...or-eliminator/
Yeah I basically couldn't find any comps for the FLFBS.
How do you think a solid sprocket is going to affect your drive train over time?
The guys on reddit when I asked was saying it could potentially cause transmission damage over time.
If running a solid comp is fine long term, I don't really have any qualms with picking up the Twin Power US 34 tooth.

Old 09-21-2020, 12:02 PM
ttyndall
Club Member

I'm not an engineer but I think it will be fine. In fact I am getting a price for an engine rebuild and talked to the shop owner about a gear change (I had a 2013 Fatboy that I put in the 30/70)
and he recommended putting the sprocket eliminator in and said I would be very pleased with it.
If you really want the compensator look at the new SE Compensator. It is the only option I could find. Part Number: 40100061

Old 09-21-2020, 12:54 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by ttyndall
I'm not an engineer but I think it will be fine. In fact I am getting a price for an engine rebuild and talked to the shop owner about a gear change (I had a 2013 Fatboy that I put in the 30/70)
and he recommended putting the sprocket eliminator in and said I would be very pleased with it.
If you really want the compensator look at the new SE Compensator. It is the only option I could find. Part Number: 40100061
I didnt know this would fit the FLFBS.
I'm just confused as to what the differences are between the FLFBS and all the other bike's compensators.

Old 09-21-2020, 01:01 PM
ttyndall
Club Member

My mistake. After your comment I went to Harley and did a fitment search and it says it will not fit.
Back to a solid Sprocket.

Old 09-21-2020, 01:16 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team
Received 1,924 Likes on 1,015 Posts

The H-D motor has real torsional dynamics issues. The compensator is a heavy, expensive item that would definitely not be there if H-D did not believe in a need for it.
Torsional vibration can affect anything rotating with the engine including the balance shafts, cam drive, primary drive and the transmission. The fact that compensators occasionally fail, wear out, or break indicates how much vibration energy the compensator has to deal with. There are literally millions of compensators in service and only a handful of solid sprockets. Yes, some compensators will fail. If my compensator gives me trouble, I'll just use an OEM replacement. Just my opinion.

Old 09-21-2020, 01:24 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hulkss
The H-D motor has real torsional dynamics issues. The compensator is a heavy, expensive item that would definitely not be there if H-D did not believe in a need for it.
Torsional vibration can affect anything rotating with the engine including the balance shafts, cam drive, primary drive and the transmission. The fact that compensators occasionally fail, wear out, or break indicates how much vibration energy the compensator has to deal with. There are literally millions of compensators in service and only a handful of solid sprockets. Yes, some compensators will fail. If my compensator gives me trouble, I'll just use an OEM replacement. Just my opinion.
I mean if Darkhorse or Baker would make their upgraded comp fit the FLFBS this wouldn't be any question at all. I'd be putting the dark horse manowar in the wishlist and calling it a day.
I really do not understand why neither company has their upgraded comp in 240mm wide tire version. It seems rather odd, because the fat boy is proving to be a fairly popular bike so there's gotta be some market for it.
Should I just give Baker or DarkHorse a ring/email and see what's up?

Quick Reply: Everything 2018 FatBoy thread