Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2024, 04:28 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,942 Likes on 1,594 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by WearyOne
@FranBunnyFFXII

Your dangerous you know, I watched the SE Ohlins video and ended up getting a full front and rear set today over the 503 units and FKS-222 I had selected which apparently are never in stock. Dealer held a par back for me so I could pick it up in person. Should be able to install both this weekend.
To be fair, I haven't posted a review of the shock yet haha.
I just want people to have access to information they may need, and I saw I had a chance to be the first one to make a video about the shock and install it.
Glad to see the video is helping people.

Old 05-26-2024, 03:37 AM
Urban Gorilla
Tourer
Received 240 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
@Urban Gorilla
Do you have any advice on removing the rear tire on your bike? How did you get that retainer clip on and off?
I want to swap my rear brake rotor here soon.
Apologies for not replying sooner - been on Holiday
I can see that the question has pretty much been answered, however, I can add that when removing the rear wheel, once the rear axle has been removed, there is enough play to move the rear wheel forward to remove the belt.
Also easy enough to put back on again in the same way - saves you having to do the belt tensioning/alignment albeit it's always good practice to double check.

Old 06-01-2024, 10:35 AM
Urban Gorilla
Tourer
The following 2 users liked this post by Urban Gorilla:
FranBunnyFFXII (06-01-2024), MoneyFor (06-01-2024)
Old 06-01-2024, 01:07 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

OK that Swingarm bag Mount, straight up awesome.
I need one now. That's Brilliant.
Do you think it can fit pretty much any swing arm bag?

Old 06-01-2024, 01:19 PM
Urban Gorilla
Tourer

OK that Swingarm bag Mount, straight up awesome.
I need one now. That's Brilliant.
Do you think it can fit pretty much any swing arm bag?
Yes.
My bag is relatively small (narrow) compared to others on the market.
With all the holes on the bracket you have a lot of leeway with fitting.

Last edited by Urban Gorilla; 06-01-2024 at 01:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FranBunnyFFXII (06-01-2024)
Old 06-01-2024, 01:28 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Urban Gorilla
Yes.
My bag is relatively small (narrow) compared to others on the market.
With all the holes on the bracket you have a lot of leeway with fitting.
I hate you, lmao. Stop inspiring me to spend money.

That's a really good find, where did you come across it?
This is a great idea.

Old 06-01-2024, 01:32 PM
Urban Gorilla
Tourer

I hate you, lmao. Stop inspiring me to spend money.

That's a really good find, where did you come across it?
This is a great idea.

I actually came across it by pure chance while searching for brackets on eBay
Bracket Swingarm Bag

The following 2 users liked this post by Urban Gorilla:
FranBunnyFFXII (06-01-2024), JimRunningLizard (06-28-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 03:04 PM
TW
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Saturday night

So Saturday morning I sold my V-Rod later in the afternoon traded in my Road King on a '20 FLFBS 114. It was almost completely bone stock, except for detachable saddlebags, grips & passenger footboards. I've got the bags off now & don't plan on using them.

By this weekend I'm hoping my S&S slip-ons come in. I plan on doing a full exhaust later, but not until I decide on what fenders/wheels get done, which will be after the handlebars. I'm planning on 12" bars (either the Carlini Menace or something similar). After that, I'll be on the hunt for wheels (haven't decided if I'm staying with the stock, 18" size for both or if I'm going to go to a taller one in the front yet), but damn they're expensive these days. I'm actually pretty disappointed in the lack of options on this rear fender too. I would prefer to do a full fender but can't find anything. I am also considering a chopped one if I can't find one I guess. The fender ordeal is holding up my seat choice, as well as license plate relocation, wheels & rear lighting. Paint will be last.

I hated to see the Road King go (it was my 4th RK), but medical conditions (chemo/radiation) dictated it. It was too top- heavy for me anymore, even though it was lowered (I have short legs) & I just wasn't riding it anymore (which was killing me).

I have to say for a stock-engine machine, this thing honks down the road pretty good, even with the stock exhaust. The ride compared to my '05 FLSTFIAE is night & day. The old green bike feels like a rigid (I rode them both yesterday) lol. This thing with the adjustable preload suspension actually rides smoother than all my Road Kings as well, but they WERE lowered though.

I'm looking forward to some fun customizing this bike in the near future.

The following 2 users liked this post by TW:
FranBunnyFFXII (06-03-2024), Urban Gorilla (06-03-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 04:22 PM
Henboykin
Cruiser
Received 121 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TW
So Saturday morning I sold my V-Rod later in the afternoon traded in my Road King on a '20 FLFBS 114. It was almost completely bone stock, except for detachable saddlebags, grips & passenger footboards. I've got the bags off now & don't plan on using them.

By this weekend I'm hoping my S&S slip-ons come in. I plan on doing a full exhaust later, but not until I decide on what fenders/wheels get done, which will be after the handlebars. I'm planning on 12" bars (either the Carlini Menace or something similar). After that, I'll be on the hunt for wheels (haven't decided if I'm staying with the stock, 18" size for both or if I'm going to go to a taller one in the front yet), but damn they're expensive these days. I'm actually pretty disappointed in the lack of options on this rear fender too. I would prefer to do a full fender but can't find anything. I am also considering a chopped one if I can't find one I guess. The fender ordeal is holding up my seat choice, as well as license plate relocation, wheels & rear lighting. Paint will be last.

I hated to see the Road King go (it was my 4th RK), but medical conditions (chemo/radiation) dictated it. It was too top- heavy for me anymore, even though it was lowered (I have short legs) & I just wasn't riding it anymore (which was killing me).

I have to say for a stock-engine machine, this thing honks down the road pretty good, even with the stock exhaust. The ride compared to my '05 FLSTFIAE is night & day. The old green bike feels like a rigid (I rode them both yesterday) lol. This thing with the adjustable preload suspension actually rides smoother than all my Road Kings as well, but they WERE lowered though.

I'm looking forward to some fun customizing this bike in the near future.

thought about chroming the wheels ? or blackout the spaces

Last edited by Henboykin; 06-03-2024 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Add more to comment
TW (06-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 10:19 AM
TW
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Henboykin
thought about chroming the wheels ? or blackout the spaces
I had thought about that, but honestly I'm not that enthused about solid wheels. Plus the amount of brake dust that accumulates on that rear one. I believe that if I choose to stick to the stock sizes, the Harley Seismic wheels would be my choice. At $700, they're more affordable than the aftermarket & look pretty good. Looks like I have time to think about it as they are on backorder for 19 weeks, I think they told me.

Last night I ordered the bars (13" Twin Peaks), frame-mounted license plate bracket & heel shifter. The shifter is on backorder, so it may be a while. I'm having the dealer do the handlebar installation, as I don't have the time, patience or eyesight anymore to pull wires. In fact, the dealer has done my last 3 bikes' handlebars for those same reasons. I haven't done it in 20 years. So that should happen in about 3 weeks. After that maybe I'll turn my attention back to fenders & wheels. I'd sure like to find a nice, full rear fender.

Henboykin (06-04-2024)

Quick Reply: Everything 2018 FatBoy thread