2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything 2018 FatBoy thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 09:40 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Out of Curiosity what happened to that Willey Shiny axle caps I sold you? Weren't you gonna get the scallops painted black to match your wheels?

Old 04-07-2024, 02:44 AM
Urban Gorilla
Tourer
Received 240 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Out of Curiosity what happened to that Willey Shiny axle caps I sold you? Weren't you gonna get the scallops painted black to match your wheels?
Hi Fran,
Yeah I did do that - painted the scallops black.

I ran with them for a while but then decided to go down the Skull theme route and ended up with a set of the Willie G axle cap covers.

Last edited by Urban Gorilla; 04-07-2024 at 02:52 AM.
Old 04-07-2024, 10:36 AM
Urban Gorilla
Tourer

Completely disassembled the front end.
Fitted the DK Customs Intiminator Fork Valves, re-installed the PROGRESSIVE SUSPENSION Drop-in fork lowering kit (left the spacer height unchanged as I was sitting a bit low previously so this should give me @0.5" higher than before) and used Maxima Fork Fluid Racing Formula - SAE 10wt.
While the wheel was off, gave it a good clean/polish and fitted a Galfer Skull front disc using Colony chrome bolts.

The following users liked this post:
MoneyFor (04-13-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 09:53 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

I wanted to leave a small note here as I test my new tire selection, I've lowered my tire pressures quite a bit since installing these new tires.
With the Bridgestone tires I had, which the rear was a 240, I was running 40/42 front rear. Now with the Metzelers which I have a 260 rear I'm now running 36/36
This feels grippy but not underinflated.
I wonder why this feels like a better pressure than what I was running with a 240 tire.

MoneyFor (04-13-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 10:19 AM
Urban Gorilla
Tourer

I wasn't completely happy with the Horn fixing so I made up another additional bracket to mount from the back of the horn and onto the original mounting point/bracket.
A lot more sturdy now = Much better

I had to redo the forks as I realised that I had put the wrong amount of fluid in (I had measured incorrectly).
Anyway, got that all sorted out and back on the bike.
While I was there I fitted my skull LED headlight (with Kuryakyn harness adapter) albeit I haven't tested it yet.

Old 04-19-2024, 08:16 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

The Modular Bars prototype I've built and installed is absolutely fantastic. I have so much more control and comfort over the motobars setup I tried.
This setup is even more comfortable than my Curved Fat Riser+OEM bars setup. Being able to underbar my mirrors is a nice touch. It gives me even more unobstructed view, and it helps with lane splitting. Plus it's nice to see more of the nacelle again.
This setup makes running a kicked back windshield WAY more aesthetically pleasing too. The bike looks so much better with a windshield with these bars on it than any other setup I've seen.
I need to get a matching upper Clutch Cable now. I will probably rebuild these bars later with an official HD handlebar on when winter comes in so I can install heated grips... again.

Old 04-19-2024, 08:27 AM
Bob Z.
Road Master
Veteran: Navy
Received 297 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
I wanted to leave a small note here as I test my new tire selection, I've lowered my tire pressures quite a bit since installing these new tires.
With the Bridgestone tires I had, which the rear was a 240, I was running 40/42 front rear. Now with the Metzelers which I have a 260 rear I'm now running 36/36
This feels grippy but not underinflated.
I wonder why this feels like a better pressure than what I was running with a 240 tire.
I recently had a 260 rear tire installed but I kept the air at 40/42. I know what you mean though when since it does feel different, like a harder ride - I have my preload at 0. Maybe I should try a lower rear as well.

Old 04-19-2024, 08:56 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I recently had a 260 rear tire installed but I kept the air at 40/42. I know what you mean though when since it does feel different, like a harder ride - I have my preload at 0. Maybe I should try a lower rear as well.
I'm currently sticking with 36/36 cold which seems to give the best feeling of grip and handling.
Back on the 240 rear that 40~42PSI was perfect. I got nice even wear across the rear tire without any cupping or weird wearing issues.
I could tell something was "wishywashy" when the 240 dropped to 36PSI or less. 36 feels pretty dam good on the 260.
I feel like the stiffer 260 sidewall and construction lets the PSI drop a bit and the tire gets more grip. Wear pattern will tell in the long run however.
The front for my bike I'm pretty sure it's also lower than others because it's also a rear ADV tire, so stronger sidewalls, and carcass.

Old 04-20-2024, 12:50 AM
HarleyDEU
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

[QUOTE=Urban Gorilla;21619159]This weekend :
> Managed to remove the plastic grommet (mentioned previously) by tapping it through the whole and out the back.
> Broke 3 different Torx tools trying to remove the Passenger footrest holder (unsuccessfully). Also couldn't remove the Passenger footrest holder from the exhaust bracket (new footrest holders on order).
> I fitted a different set (Chrome) V&H Staggered Shortshots.
(The PCX black shortshots were a right PITA to fit and in the end I didn't like either the fitment specifically of the bracket/hanger or the look).
> Previously fitted the Black Crankcase Cover but replaced the bolts with Alloy Boltz kit.
> I also replaced the bolts on the Primary Cover with the with Alloy Boltz kit.
> I fitted the Thunderbike swingarm covers.
> I fitted Chrome Radiator Grill.
> I cleaned and painted the Regulator and then fitted the Chrome Regulator Cover.
> Downloaded and installed an FP4 Tune.

Hi. What cover is it exactly? 74597-01 Isn’t compatible with FLFBS or isn’t it? Thx

Old 04-20-2024, 01:04 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by HarleyDEU

Hi. What cover is it exactly? 74597-01 Isn’t compatible with FLFBS or isn’t it? Thx
It's this cover: https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...ver/p/74597-01
PN 74597-01
I have one on my Fat Boy as well. Yes it does install on an FLFBS.
You can see it on my bike here.

HarleyDEU (04-20-2024)

Quick Reply: Everything 2018 FatBoy thread