2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything 2018 FatBoy thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 01:01 PM
Urban Gorilla
Tourer
Received 240 Likes on 148 Posts

Today I managed to remove the cross member albeit I had to dremel the head off the torx screw - it's completely jammed in there and just spins around - another job to sort out is how to remove it.
Anyway, with that out the way, I was able to test fit the Thunderbike rear fender and seat.

The following users liked this post:
MoneyFor (10-02-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 12:10 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 979 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Gorilla
Today I managed to remove the cross member albeit I had to dremel the head off the torx screw - it's completely jammed in there and just spins around - another job to sort out is how to remove it.
Good thing it worked out, the rest will come later

Urban Gorilla (10-02-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 01:36 PM
Urban Gorilla
Tourer

Originally Posted by MoneyFor
Good thing it worked out, the rest will come later
Actually 2 additional things have cropped up...
1. The seat mounting leaves a lot to be desired, that is, it seems to protrude quite far down and I can see it catching the tyre. I'm going to get it welded in and then possibly shorten it;
2. Where to run, and weld in, the stainless steel tubing to run the wires through. I'm currently thinking of going from just above the light/indicators, down the centre of the underneath of the fender and then branching out to the front sides (if that makes sense).

Old 10-03-2023, 12:16 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

Actually 2 additional things have cropped up...
1. The seat mounting leaves a lot to be desired, that is, it seems to protrude quite far down and I can see it catching the tyre. I'm going to get it welded in and then possibly shorten it;
My FXSB fender came with a pop rivet nut, but that wasn't the case now, but that doesn't matter because I make my own stainless steel nut in M6 with a collar, which I weld along the inside of the fender.
When the fender is in the lowest position, the bolt of the saddle cannot touch the tire in any way if it is of course not too long, 10mm length is more than enough. I have already set my air suspension to the
correct height when it is at its lowest setting

2. Where to run, and weld in, the stainless steel tubing to run the wires through. I'm currently thinking of going from just above the light/indicators, down the centre of the underneath of the fender and then branching out to the front sides (if that makes sense).
I have already tig welded these in, I have mounted them in the curvature of the fender, which corresponds to the lowest side of the indicators and this then sits nicely along the curve of the tire and cannot touch it.

Urban Gorilla (10-03-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 01:34 PM
Urban Gorilla
Tourer

My FXSB fender came with a pop rivet nut, but that wasn't the case now, but that doesn't matter because I make my own stainless steel nut in M6 with a collar, which I weld along the inside of the fender.
When the fender is in the lowest position, the bolt of the saddle cannot touch the tire in any way if it is of course not too long, 10mm length is more than enough. I have already set my air suspension to the
correct height when it is at its lowest setting
I haven't installed my Air Ride yet so was just looking at things/placement by eye.
I have already tig welded these in, I have mounted them in the curvature of the fender, which corresponds to the lowest side of the indicators and this then sits nicely along the curve of the tire and cannot touch it.
That's the other place I was thinking of running the steel tubes but, again as I haven't installed my Air Ride yet, I'm not sure of the clearance especially running a 260 rear tyre.
I was thinking about the underneath top of the fender (where the seat fixing also pokes through) because I can run them in such a way that water ingress wouldn't be an issue but also because my TAB Air Ride kit is height adjustable - With the threaded spherical rod end on the swingarm portion on the shock, fine tuning the center hole to center hole measurement has never been easier. This feature allows you to make adjustments for fender to tire clearance possible when if needed.

Old 10-04-2023, 01:15 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member

I haven't installed my Air Ride yet so was just looking at things/placement by eye.

That's the other place I was thinking of running the steel tubes but, again as I haven't installed my Air Ride yet, I'm not sure of the clearance especially running a 260 rear tyre.
I was thinking about the underneath top of the fender (where the seat fixing also pokes through) because I can run them in such a way that water ingress wouldn't be an issue but also because my TAB Air Ride kit is height adjustable - With the threaded spherical rod end on the swingarm portion on the shock, fine tuning the center hole to center hole measurement has never been easier. This feature allows you to make adjustments for fender to tire clearance possible when if needed.
I also have the 260 on, it is more convex then the 240 so it is no problem for clearance, I have the Platinum Air Suspension it can be adjusted the same way as you described, that was also how I did it.

Urban Gorilla (10-04-2023)
Old 10-07-2023, 10:40 AM
Grad75
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm starting a class action law suit against Harley for this issue. Contact me at imichaelw1@gmail.com to be part of it.

Old 10-12-2023, 12:51 PM
Urban Gorilla
Tourer

Do you have a picture please?

Old 10-14-2023, 07:34 AM
HDTD69
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iHodor
Yes the 240 FB does require constant countersteering to keep it leaning. It's not a large amount and nothing intense, it just is a little different until it becomes ingrained. After a year with my bike it feels as much a part of me as any bike I've ever owned in my decades of riding. I wouldn't classify that extra attention, or effort as work though. The bike rolls along and cornering does not seem harder to me, it just requires a slightly firmer touch. And to me at least the appreciable low end grunt of the M8, along with the great look that HD built into the bike puts a smile on my face every time out. YMMV of course.
I have 2020 30th Anniversary FB. The 240 Scorcher2 tire is more flat with an edge you have to learn to tip into in curves. You do get used to it but it take a while to get comfortable with it. been thru 3 Scorcher's, and needed a new one, could not find one and ended up with a Dunlop 240. it it more round and easier in the curves but does not grip like the scrorcher.

Old 10-14-2023, 10:31 AM
Urban Gorilla
Tourer

Currently trying to figure out what part this bolt screws into underneath (whatever it is it has a captive nut in)

Is it the Battery Control Module (BCM) Caddy [#69201632] or may be Electronic Control Module (ECM) Caddy [#69201519] ?
I'm thinking the latter due to the position.
TIA

Last edited by Urban Gorilla; 10-14-2023 at 10:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Everything 2018 FatBoy thread