2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything 2018 FatBoy thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 08:46 AM
Doublefelix
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by YHNYDad
From one of the other posts for the Bassani and the 2018 Fat Boy by @droptune on 5/6/22…let them know they needed a special bracket to work with the passenger pegs on that side of the bike as the one that comes with it won’t work and who to contact. Since they are fabric parts…instead of waiting for that part to have to come in…they took the bracket and welded and powder coated a Passenger Peg mount to it that is well done and very sturdy.
Is this special bracket needed because it is a 2018 and you don't have the one hole? I have those pipes ordered for a 2022 and I thought everything was going to work out of the box.

Old 04-17-2023, 08:57 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,759 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Originally Posted by YHNYDad
Thank you. I am really liking it.

With regards to the air cleaner I meant to write about that after seeing a few others post and I know you have been considering getting it.

Yes it looks and feels much wider.

No floorboard extensions. Just the soft break arm like you for my break pedal.

I used to keep my knees tucked into the tank (I’m 5’9 now…as I have slowly started the shrinking process. lol. Probably 5’10 with my riding boots)…with the new filter when I do that the way I used to my lower leg does press up against the filter cover, and being that it was a new experience at first it was noticeable and kept me from keeping that leg tucked in. My foot placement on the floorboard may also be a part of it. But after being on the road today as I drove I forgot about it and it wasn’t really as much of an issue. I know there were times my leg was in tight but I also let it sit a little looser at time.

No issues with my floorboards or the brake pedal in terms of being able to use them.

I’m going to see how it goes…that said I’m not so sure that you’ll like it moving all around the bike as you do when you setup for different curves and such as it does stick out.
As much as I like FuelMoto, I might have to go with the Arlen Ness one since it's narrower, but still increases air flow to support to 124ci/128ci engines.
Not entirely sure I want to install the Air Stinger aircleaner now.

The following users liked this post:
YHNYDad (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 09:06 AM
YHNYDad
Cruiser
Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublefelix
Is this special bracket needed because it is a 2018 and you don't have the one hole? I have those pipes ordered for a 2022 and I thought everything was going to work out of the box.
I think it is only an issue with the 2018s…but not 100% certain.

Might want to give Jeremy at Bassani a call.

this is the thread I referred to above that had the info:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-...ani-2-1-a.html

Old 04-17-2023, 09:06 AM
Doublefelix
Tourer

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
As much as I like FuelMoto, I might have to go with the Arlen Ness one since it's narrower, but still increases air flow to support to 124ci/128ci engines.
Not entirely sure I want to install the Air Stinger aircleaner now.
Fran, will the Stinger/closed mini teardrop cover support a 114/S&S 475c combo?

Old 04-17-2023, 09:21 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Fran, will the Stinger/closed mini teardrop cover support a 114/S&S 475c combo?
The Air Stinger has a central Downdraft intake added to the standard Teardrop, which makes it more then capable of handling beyond Stage 2 cams and bigbore kits. S&S says it flows an estimated 55% more air than the stock round.
I've seen the non downdraft version on larger than 128ci builds with high lift cams, and the downdraft version is better.

Old 04-17-2023, 10:33 AM
Doublefelix
Tourer

The Air Stinger has a central Downdraft intake added to the standard Teardrop, which makes it more then capable of handling beyond Stage 2 cams and bigbore kits. S&S says it flows an estimated 55% more air than the stock round.
I've seen the non downdraft version on larger than 128ci builds with high lift cams, and the downdraft version is better.
I'm not going big bore and I was talking about the cover without the center filter.

Old 04-17-2023, 12:34 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

I'm not going big bore and I was talking about the cover without the center filter.
Ah, well AirStinger is specifically the version of the air cleaner with the Downdraft filter added to the middle.
The rest are just Mini tear drop and there's several variations of that.
I suspect that a standard Stealth Mini Tear drop will be plenty for a 114 S&S 475c cam setup, because I've seen larger engines with it and not have issues with posting good numbers.
So it'll be fine for a 475C.

Old 04-17-2023, 06:23 PM
Doublefelix
Tourer

Ah, well AirStinger is specifically the version of the air cleaner with the Downdraft filter added to the middle.
The rest are just Mini tear drop and there's several variations of that.
I suspect that a standard Stealth Mini Tear drop will be plenty for a 114 S&S 475c cam setup, because I've seen larger engines with it and not have issues with posting good numbers.
So it'll be fine for a 475C.
yeah, stealth stinger with mini teardrop cover. I still am considering the SE with the aluminum backing plate.

Old 04-18-2023, 04:28 PM
HarleyDEU
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

So anyone with a Fat Boy wanting to install these Spark Plug Wires. It can be done entirely without removing the tank. You need to lift up the rear of the tank, so take off the seat and the rear bolt and lift the tank up and put a box under it or something to hold it up like 5~6 inches.Then you can get at the spark plug wires, with your hands. I used a right angle pick to get the rear one out.
Fairly quick and easy install. You just need a 9/16th's box wrench, a 9/16ths socket and ratchet with 6inch+ extension.
I pre-greased the spark plug wire boots making sure to not let grease get on the inside of the terminals, but spread it around the surface of the Boot.
The top plugs you will have to push down on the top of the boot with your fingers on each side to get it down, and it will "POP!" into place. If it doesnt pop, pull it up and try again.
The ignition coils, the stock wires terminals have a little clippy that holds the plugwire in. The Magnum Shielding ones do not. So you'll have to finegal around pushing them down to make sure they slip on and engage all the way down.
what’s about painting your side covers in the same colour like the other parts of your special edition?

Old 04-18-2023, 04:43 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by HarleyDEU
what’s about painting your side covers in the same colour like the other parts of your special edition?
I have Avery Denison Amber Diamond vinyl wrap to do my side covers. It's a color that similarly matches the golden HD Text on the side of the tank.
Both the panels will be re-colored with this. My Vinyl wrapping my helmet was practice so I can do a good job wrapping the side panels.

The following users liked this post:
YHNYDad (04-19-2023)

Quick Reply: Everything 2018 FatBoy thread