Everything 2018 FatBoy thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 12:41 PM
IBE
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,747 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Gorilla
Nice
I have one of those on its way but in black.

You say it wont fit with the saddleman seat - why?
Passenger seat too wide!?
yep the saddleman is to tall and too wide. now i remember why i bought the saddleman. man the factory seat really sux. what we wont do for looks

The following users liked this post:
Urban Gorilla (04-09-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 01:25 AM
Glenn Gorman
Club Member
Received 1,178 Likes on 556 Posts
Default Vance and Hines ProPipe

Swapped out the Vance and Hines Big Radius for the V&H Pro Pipe. These are the earlier pipes with no CAT and standard baffle. I'm thinking about pulling the baffle.

Not quite finished, but I had to hear it. First time starting the bike since my hand surgery almost two months ago. Did all this one handed as my left hand and forearm are in a brace. Dr said that I can't ride until the end of July.

Still need to finish putting the heat shields on and a few other things. Didn't realize that my finger was in front of the lens.

2018 Harley Fatboy 114 with an S&S 475c cam.

The following 3 users liked this post by Glenn Gorman:
Henboykin (04-12-2023), Kenelz (04-12-2023), Urban Gorilla (04-12-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 08:14 AM
Bob Z.
Road Master

Received 297 Likes on 178 Posts

Sounds nice, just what my 2020 Fatty needs. How long did it take to install the cam?

Old 04-12-2023, 09:29 AM
Glenn Gorman
Club Member
Received 1,178 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Sounds nice, just what my 2020 Fatty needs. How long did it take to install the cam?
Maybe 6-10 hours over a few days. It was hot as hell and I also put new handlebars on, a new manifold, Magnum Shielding clutch cable and front brake line.

I'll do a cold start later this afternoon and let it warm up a bit.

Last edited by Glenn Gorman; 04-12-2023 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-12-2023, 11:08 AM
Urban Gorilla
Tourer
Received 238 Likes on 146 Posts

Fitted the H-D Chrome Coil Cover (#57300214) and Kuryakyn Chrome Spark Plug/Head Bolt Covers (#7185)

The following 2 users liked this post by Urban Gorilla:
Glenn Gorman (04-13-2023), HarleyDEU (04-12-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 03:14 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,900 Likes on 1,569 Posts

New Helmet Who dis?
(Ok it's not a new helmet but I vinyl wrapped my red and white helmet that I wasnt too fond of the paint scheme and added Neko ears because why not)

NZLowrider (04-16-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 12:06 AM
nelsonhood
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I really like your handlebar and risers setup. May I ask what are the brand and model? Thanks!
And nice helmet!

FranBunnyFFXII (04-16-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 11:15 PM
YHNYDad
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Spent the winter buying stuff for my Fat Boy and then as I am swamped as I started a new job in February…I ended up finding a great local Indy shop who gave me a fair price and treated me well, unlike a few others I went to, and I let them do everything.

Things done:
New Parts:
- Wings Custom 14” King Curve Rhino 2” Bars Stainless Steel with wiring kit which they custom did for me. (Aluminized at top and Black at the bottom where it goes from the bars to through/the forks cove/clamp and behind the Headlamp Nacelle…so that the wires between the bars and the bike disappear so to speak.) they also customized the width of the bars so that they landed right over the fork covers - 330mm instead of the standard 315mm width. Loved that they sent a drawing with dimensions to approve before building so I had a chance to get it how I wanted.
- Bassani 2-1 Road Rage Chrome
- Fuel Moto BMF Hi Flow Filter
- Ciro Tac-10 Light Cannons
- Denali T3 Modular Switchback Turn Signals with Crashbar Mount
- Kodlin 3-1 Neowise Rear Fender Lights Chrome
- Metzler Cruisetecs 160/60R18 Front and 260/40VR18 rear (which I got on sale for $135 at Revzilla)
- New Battery
- Motohorn Dual Horn Setup
- Fobo Bike 2 TPMS with metal T-Valve Stems
- Gerbing Heated Gear Panel Mount Port
- HD Cruise Control with Chrome Button (had to buy a full set just for that button…ugh. lol)
- Oberon Performance Levers - Black with Silver Dial. Got if from Bluestreak Racing in Canada. Tony Blue was great. Even though his credit card service was having issues processing my card…he shipped the new levers anyways and I ended up getting them the next day from DHL…about when his bank/service was finally able to run my card. Very good service and communication.

The shop installed all the above…fixed my rear lights wiring that was shorting (which is why the custom dynamic magic strobe box stopped working with it. Actually just got rid of the small 3-1 signals I had at the licence plate tail tidy unit I had that was the issue and wired it all up with the new Kodlins and looks great…the CD Magic Strobes works again and flashes my lights 4 times and then is solid on.

They powder coated the inserts on the shells black and polished my wheels while they were at it.
Also powder coated black the inside of the rear pulley.

They custom mounted the Tac-10s on the side of the crashbar. And also permanently mounted the Denali Lights to crash bar instead of the VHB tape.

I really wanted better visibility at night for me…but also for other drivers…not just seeing the one headlight on the Fat Boy…and also for my turn signals as I have the stealth ones under my controls on my bars. It really is nice. I sell lights for a living (was a lighting consultant and now a manufacturer rep)…so this was kind of a no brainer for anyone who knows me.

The Denalis are on when the bike turns on and are white light and then when you hit the turn signal they switch to flashing amber and then after the turn signal is off again it reverts back to white light.

The Tac-10s have a halo light that is on when the bike turns on and instead of adding the main light to the brights when those come on the shop installed a waterproof push button switch on the back of the nacelle in the top left corner that is easy to reach on the bike. So I can turn those on when I want and don’t have to only have it with the brights.

From one of the other posts for the Bassani and the 2018 Fat Boy by @droptune on 5/6/22…let them know they needed a special bracket to work with the passenger pegs on that side of the bike as the one that comes with it won’t work and who to contact. Since they are fabric parts…instead of waiting for that part to have to come in…they took the bracket and welded and powder coated a Passenger Peg mount to it that is well done and very sturdy.

They also put my bike on the Dyno and tuned it.

The Gerbing Panel Mount Port is on the left side cover where I can easily plug into when it gets cold out.

Drove it back from the shop on Friday in the not so quick to get home route and put 35 miles on it. Took it for a spin (85 miles) with the guys I ride with today through lots of twisty local roads and then some highway riding…I am liking the bars…the riding position is much more comfortable. Plus I love the look of those bars and that at 2” they look right on the Fat Boy…thinner diameter bars just look flimsy to me…but that is just my opinion. Like that I was able to adjust the levers with the new riding/hand position. The lighting at night is great. That all said…the new exhaust is nice! And with Stage 1 complete…I thought the bike was powerful before…now the torque is amazing and the power generated is pretty cool. The bike is so responsive. Stage 2 will come next winter…looking forward to it.

But the biggest change that I have noticed…how easily the bike will lean. The 260 back tire is really nice. For those who really ride the Fat Boy hard like a racing machine…@FranBunnyFFXII …this is for you…I really think you will like the result of changing to the 260 rear tire. And for those that ride to feel the wind and are not trying to break land speed twisty records…you’ll like it too.

I also have not shown or currently installed the Siouxicide Chopper Chrome Sissy Bar which I am going to have my shop is looking at one of the standard HD Luggage Racks that they can fabricate a couple of parts so that I can have it with a luggage rack on the back as I like to have my small Saddlemen bag with me for my belongings I need with me but don’t want on me. Spoke with the guys at SC and they seem nice and would be willing to consider fabricating a luggage rack to work with their Fat Boy Sissy Bar but told me that I would have to buy basically a new sissy bar and the luggage rack as it would be different than the one I have now…and I’d have to wait till winter to have it considered/started. So figure might be able to get it customized here sooner. (Fingers crossed)

After riding season…I’m looking at Stage 2 and also the rear and fork suspension. Then I should be done.

Here are some pictures so you can see what I had done. (Last pic is with the happy owner. )

Here’s to a great and safe riding season all!

Last edited by YHNYDad; 04-16-2023 at 11:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by YHNYDad:
HarleyDEU (04-18-2023), Urban Gorilla (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 12:12 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,900 Likes on 1,569 Posts

Originally Posted by YHNYDad
Spent the winter buying stuff for my Fat Boy and then as I am swamped as I started a new job in February…I ended up finding a great local Indy shop who gave me a fair price and treated me well, unlike a few others I went to, and I let them do everything.
Looking pretty good.

I have a question though about the BMF filter. You dont have any floorboard extensions do you?
I want to get the BMF filter, but I'm a bit concerned about clearance and have been thinking about getting the Arlen Ness filter instead because it's a little bit more narrow but still flows enough for 130hp builds.
Does your knee rub up against the filter now? does it feel much wider than the stock one?

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 04-17-2023 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-17-2023, 01:15 AM
YHNYDad
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Looking pretty good.

I have a question though about the BMF filter. You dont have any floorboard extensions do you?
I want to get the BMF filter, but I'm a bit concerned about clearance and have been thinking about getting the Arlen Ness filter instead because it's a little bit more narrow but still flows enough for 130hp builds.
Does your knee rub up against the filter now? does it feel much wider than the stock one?
Thank you. I am really liking it.

With regards to the air cleaner I meant to write about that after seeing a few others post and I know you have been considering getting it.

Yes it looks and feels much wider.

No floorboard extensions. Just the soft break arm like you for my break pedal.

I used to keep my knees tucked into the tank (I’m 5’9 now…as I have slowly started the shrinking process. lol. Probably 5’10 with my riding boots)…with the new filter when I do that the way I used to my lower leg does press up against the filter cover, and being that it was a new experience at first it was noticeable and kept me from keeping that leg tucked in. My foot placement on the floorboard may also be a part of it. But after being on the road today as I drove I forgot about it and it wasn’t really as much of an issue. I know there were times my leg was in tight but I also let it sit a little looser at time.

No issues with my floorboards or the brake pedal in terms of being able to use them.

I’m going to see how it goes…that said I’m not so sure that you’ll like it moving all around the bike as you do when you setup for different curves and such as it does stick out.

FranBunnyFFXII (04-17-2023)

Quick Reply: Everything 2018 FatBoy thread