2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything 2018 FatBoy thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2023, 03:38 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,346 Posts

Originally Posted by andres.0321@hotmail.com
Decided on the HD swingarm bag. Love the look and can store some things for bar hopping or short distance rides. Goes well with 30th anniversary color scheme.
Perfect bag for that bike, I have had one for years and love the look and style. Only thing is, it is in no way waterproof or anything approaching it. If you ride in the rain, expect everything inside to be soaked and to find an inch or two of standing water in the bottom.

I solved the problem by getting a waterproof bag to use inside the swingarm bag.

Old 03-26-2023, 03:44 PM
Bob Z.
Road Master

Received 297 Likes on 178 Posts

Agree - I keep a hat, gloves, rag and cleaner (for big bug splats) and I still have room in it for picking up meds, etc.:

The following users liked this post:
andres.0321@hotmail.com (03-26-2023)
Old 03-26-2023, 08:02 PM
andres.0321@hotmail.com
Cruiser
Received 177 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
Perfect bag for that bike, I have had one for years and love the look and style. Only thing is, it is in no way waterproof or anything approaching it. If you ride in the rain, expect everything inside to be soaked and to find an inch or two of standing water in the bottom.

I solved the problem by getting a waterproof bag to use inside the swingarm bag.
thanks I’ll keep it in mind. Don’t ride in the rain unless I get caught in an unsuspected storm. Thanks for the info

Old 03-29-2023, 06:24 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,900 Likes on 1,569 Posts

FOX Racing rear monoshock IFP-R QS3 13inch suspension installed. It lifted the fender but if you didn't know how to look for it you might not notice.
Turning this bike into a Fat Boy ST.
1 and 2 Before Pics
3 Monoshock under the Seat
4 and 5 After pics

Urban Gorilla (03-30-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 06:40 PM
andres.0321@hotmail.com
Cruiser
Received 177 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Latest outing.

Can’t ride as much as I use to but sure is fun when I can.

The following 3 users liked this post by andres.0321@hotmail.com:
slyyfox (10-04-2023), stratplexi (05-28-2023), Urban Gorilla (03-30-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 08:44 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

So, the Big Ziplock Bag method of getting that preload adjuster spring and ball out without losing them, totally would work... But a small tip...
When the screw comes off, and you're about to drop the cap off. Make sure the Tab that mounts the adjuster to the bike side is up, zip close the bag, and Shake it before pulling the thing out. I captured the ball and everything that immediately came off, but the spring didn't come out, and instead dropped out onto the ground.
I did manage to find the spring, luckily, but I've watched the footage of me pulling this apart like a dozen times, and I cant find the moment where the spring came out of the RAP. IT was on the ground under where the bike was, but it could have easily been lost.

So pull the screw out, and hold the adjustor ****, and seal the bag, then drop everything into the bottom of the bag and shake the RAP until you see a spring in the bag or start to come out. The Spring and ball is on the BOTTOM of the RAP with the numbers facing towards you.
Great method and I can't remember who suggested it. This saved so much potential headache even if I didn't do it right.

Oh and the screwdriver to use, Get a LARGE philips head, not a small typical one. The larger philips head wont strip the screw. It came right out without any trouble or signs of stripping.
There's no ****ing way that preload adjustor was coming out without the **** being removed. You would have to remove the battery.

Other small tips for this removal:
My shock was stuck in there a bit at the front and I had to knock it a bit with my deadshot mallet and wiggle it from the rear end so I could get it to come out, putting the new one in, I put anti seize on the surfaces of the spacers and shock bolt mount. It took some wiggling around to get it but the anti-seize made it much easier.
You do not have to touch the seat mount tab bolts at the top of the frame if you raise the rear end of the bike far enough off the ground. I just kept lifting the rear up until I was able to pull the head of the shock out from the front.

This was easier than I expected, and took about an hour and 15 minutes of time including setting up my headcam for filming, and having to go back up stairs to get some snips.

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 03-29-2023 at 08:45 PM.
Urban Gorilla (03-30-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 07:02 PM
Kenelz
Tourer
Received 210 Likes on 126 Posts

Not exciting, but did the 15,000 service today. I did everything on the checklist except for the test on the steering head, I don't have the 25 lb scale, and don't think there is a problem.

I did a 2 hole change, I did a 3 hole change at 5 and 10K, the trans oil looks new, and its not called for anyways, so I'll save the oil for next time.

It took me over 2 1/2 hours, but I did other stuff also, like dissasembled the shift linkage so I could grease all the pivot areas.

Old 04-01-2023, 12:09 PM
Urban Gorilla
Tourer
Received 238 Likes on 146 Posts

Working on installing the chrome front end and wheel.
Hit a bit of a snag and hoping someone can let me know the right orientation/position of the ABS sensor on the front wheel.
The manual shows this:

The speed sensor index pin is on the speed sensor assembly but...
There's a "pin" on the front fork.

They don't mate together, so it's a case of which side of the "pin" on the fork does the index pin on the sensor go?

Last edited by Urban Gorilla; 04-01-2023 at 12:11 PM.
HarleyDEU (04-02-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 01:08 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Urban Gorilla
Working on installing the chrome front end and wheel.
Hit a bit of a snag and hoping someone can let me know the right orientation/position of the ABS sensor on the front wheel.
The manual shows this:

The speed sensor index pin is on the speed sensor assembly but...
There's a "pin" on the front fork.

They don't mate together, so it's a case of which side of the "pin" on the fork does the index pin on the sensor go?
ABS Sensor index goes behind the Fork index pin, touching it.
I held it there then hand tightened the axle till I couldnt, then started torqueing it down.

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 04-01-2023 at 01:20 PM.
HarleyDEU (04-02-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 01:42 PM
Urban Gorilla
Tourer
Received 238 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
ABS Sensor index goes behind the Fork index pin, touching it.
I held it there then hand tightened the axle till I couldnt, then started torqueing it down.
Brilliant - Thanks
So basically butted up against the pin on the stanchion as indicated by the yellow arrow:

HarleyDEU (04-02-2023)

Quick Reply: Everything 2018 FatBoy thread