2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything 2018 FatBoy thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 05:55 PM
Cootey
Road Captain
Received 249 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Gorilla
I was looking at several options but narrowed it down to either a Sport Glide or Fat Boy - I ended up with a 2019 FLFBS and I'm really pleased with it.
A few things spring to mind - the OEM seat is "pants"! (mine fortunately came with a Hammock seat but I also have a Sundowner seat as well); the finish on the inserts of the wheels is not brilliant (textured, well quite rough actually - just had mine painted) but I prefer the solid wheels to the new slotted ones and the satin finish to some of the parts is an acquired taste - but all easily rectified/changed.
The one thing I will say is, with all the parts I've bought, and by the time I've finished (still work in progress), I'll easily be able to transform it, by adding, swapping or removing parts, into a Tourer, Cruiser or Bar Hopper - it's like having 3 bikes in one.
Seems a lot of stuff has become available for them since, hammock seat and other cool things. And aftermarket is mad now. I had the old one for 2 years. Regretful sale, now I'm kinds stuck. But I am keen to hear if the dynamics have changed with the new wheels.

Old 03-25-2023, 01:06 PM
Doublefelix
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Ok so I have my first complaint about the Hammock Seat now.
Today and yesterday I was out ripping around on the freeway and my favorite twistie road, getting back into the groove of riding like I have a deathwish, and I realized that the Hammock seat makes it hard to move your butt around and shift weight when leaning into a corner.
For anyone that uses basic motoGP body position and rides fairly hard like I do, this seat will be a hinderance at getting your butt to move a bit so you can get better body positions for cornering.
It keeps your butt stuck there pretty much in the center and you have to more lean with the bike's angle instead of leaning over the tank.
OFC you don't get a comfy touring seat to rip around the twisties like a street Rossi, so it's no big deal for touring and cruising long miles on the freeway.
I'll be switching back to the Knuckle profiler seat as I'm not going to be doing long range rides for a while.
that lack of movement you feel on that seat is exactly the same feeling I get on any seat because of my 300# Fat a$$. The Fat Boy needs the weight shift to handle, and is why most think they handle like a log.

Old 03-25-2023, 01:37 PM
Doublefelix
Tourer

Well, I spent the last couple days installing a boatload of parts.

14" KST Straight Jacket apes along with the extented cables/brake lines/wires.
Polyurethane riser bushings.
Cruise control.
Re-used the left bar weight.
Kodlin Elypse front turn signals to match my Kodlin Neowise rear signals.
Custom Dynamics LED fender light (re-pinned as run/stop only due to my adding of a fourth wire and dedicated stop lights).
H-D swingarm bag.
Holdfast docking points.
Standard height sissy bar.
Smooth backrest pad.
Sport rack.

I'm still trying to get a chrome 20" sissy that Fran has for trips to strap a dry bag to. They can be found on Amazon and by other sellers but I want to get from that seller because of major differences in Chinese quality control.

My thoughts on the 14" KST Straight Jacket bars? I should have got the 12". I forgot that I test fit them while I had the stock seat and now am running a C&C Fastback which sets me back and down.

Here are my questions for the board:

What do you do with the extra length of wires from the extended harnesses? Do you somehow get them up in the frame behind the rubber boot?

Is there a brake line adapter that does NOT have the bend in it? The bend is giving me a super tight brake line.

Pics will come on a day that isn't raining.

Old 03-25-2023, 02:24 PM
Doublefelix
Tourer

Actually, if anyone has changed bars and used Harley brake line adapter 41609260, I would appreciate a pic of how you oriented it.

A pic of clutch cable routing/orientation in reference to the wires behind the nacelle would also be helpful.

Thanks.

Old 03-25-2023, 03:31 PM
HarleyDEU
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I have watched the videos of the Outrider Bags on YT so far. Does anyone here also have experience, or recommend another model or see too many weaknesses (zipper, for example).

Old 03-25-2023, 03:35 PM
HarleyDEU
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Today and yesterday I was out ripping around on the freeway and my favorite twistie road, getting back into the groove of riding like I have a deathwish, and I realized that the Hammock seat makes it hard to move your butt around and shift weight when leaning into a corner.
For anyone that uses basic motoGP body position and rides fairly hard like I do, this seat will be a hinderance at getting your butt to move a bit so you can get better body positions for cornering.
It keeps your butt stuck there pretty much in the center and you have to more lean with the bike's angle instead of leaning over the tank.
OFC you don't get a comfy touring seat to rip around the twisties like a street Rossi, so it's no big deal for touring and cruising long miles on the freeway.
I'll be switching back to the Knuckle profiler seat as I'm not going to be doing long range rides for a while.
Thank you for your honest and comprehensive summary. For a tall guy like me it saved me for another bad buy - a comfortable but cramped seat.

Old 03-25-2023, 09:12 PM
willcasp
Club Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Congratulations! I love that paint. Looks amazing in person.

Old 03-25-2023, 09:16 PM
willcasp
Club Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

I find your comments interesting, and I have made the same observation on the Hammock. The Knuckle Profiler seems to solve my concern about sliding off the back of the bike when I hit the throttle hard. How is it for comfort? I realize everyone is different, just wanted your opinions on how much of a milage day it is good for?

Old 03-25-2023, 09:28 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,900 Likes on 1,569 Posts

Originally Posted by willcasp
I find your comments interesting, and I have made the same observation on the Hammock. The Knuckle Profiler seems to solve my concern about sliding off the back of the bike when I hit the throttle hard. How is it for comfort? I realize everyone is different, just wanted your opinions on how much of a milage day it is good for?
It's definitely the seat I'd choose if you want to ride hard, but not for a long time. Longest timeframe I've been on that seat in a normal ride was my ride out to the Ridge, and that was a 90miles out with a 2 1/2 day break between each 90. It was ok for that distance but I'd prefer something more cushy if I was doing some significant touring.
The Knuckle Profiler is definitely a fantastic seat for riding hard and fast, and it's relatively comfortable, but I think after 100+ miles in a day it's not going to be all that comfortable. But the great thing about it is that it's a 2 person long seat despite being a solo seat, so it's easy to swap out for a touring seat in a few minutes.
Style wise, and performance wise, it's a fantastic seat, and once I was done with testing the seats, the Knuckle went back on.

I think an important thing to consider about the comfort of any seat that I test and to make a judgement on it is that I am so tiny. I'm 131lbs on average now, And me being very light could make a considerable difference in seat comfort to someone who may be even just 30~40lbs more than me, still in that skinny/ight range, but still considerably larger than myself.

The following users liked this post:
willcasp (03-25-2023)
Old 03-26-2023, 08:38 AM
andres.0321@hotmail.com
Cruiser
Received 177 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Swingarm bag

Decided on the HD swingarm bag. Love the look and can store some things for bar hopping or short distance rides. Goes well with 30th anniversary color scheme.

The following users liked this post:
HarleyDEU (08-11-2023)

Quick Reply: Everything 2018 FatBoy thread