2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything 2018 FatBoy thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 04:02 PM
Urban Gorilla
Tourer
Received 196 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublefelix
what bars are they? Do you have a straight on shot from the front or back?
They are the CHUBBY® 16" Classic Ape Hanger
I don't have any current pictures of the bike as it is at the moment but here are some older pictures

Old 01-05-2023, 08:01 PM
Doublefelix
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Gorilla
They are the CHUBBY® 16" Classic Ape Hanger
I don't have any current pictures of the bike as it is at the moment but here are some older pictures

nice. I'm putting 14" KST Straight jackets on once my cruise control and brake line get off backorder, but I'm always looking to see if I like something better. Those chubby's look good. The KST's may be too Straight up and down. We'll have to see. The others I am still considering are a set of Carlini designs.

Old 01-06-2023, 03:34 AM
Urban Gorilla
Tourer
Received 196 Likes on 122 Posts

nice. I'm putting 14" KST Straight jackets on once my cruise control and brake line get off backorder, but I'm always looking to see if I like something better. Those chubby's look good. The KST's may be too Straight up and down. We'll have to see. The others I am still considering are a set of Carlini designs.
Just had a quick look at the KST Straight jackets - they look nice
I see what you mean, but, I think they'd look good because they would, in effect, following the lines of the forks at the front, i.e., straight up.
Talking from experience, when you have high Ape Hangers, (i.e., when your hands are above the height of your shoulders when riding) cruise control is an absolute MUST HAVE when doing any long distance runs.

Old 01-06-2023, 07:20 AM
Doublefelix
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Gorilla
Just had a quick look at the KST Straight jackets - they look nice
I see what you mean, but, I think they'd look good because they would, in effect, following the lines of the forks at the front, i.e., straight up.
Talking from experience, when you have high Ape Hangers, (i.e., when your hands are above the height of your shoulders when riding) cruise control is an absolute MUST HAVE when doing any long distance runs.
I'm hoping 14" are right at shoulder level with the C&C fastback seat on the bike. I went with the straight jackets because the width is perfect for the wide forks. The more I look, the perfect "U" is something that looks very classic on a road king. So, it should work. These fatboys' front ends are way different than any other bike.
the fact that the KST's are stainless were a huge selling point.

The following users liked this post:
Urban Gorilla (01-06-2023)
Old 01-06-2023, 09:01 PM
DaveyFB
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,088 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Ordering the short Turn signal mounts to move my license plate to back fender
Figures they are $43 & free shipping is at $50
Trying to figure out what else I may need
Already have a Timer cover, will be ordering a Custom Derby cover

Possibly swap the air filter for the SE K&N filter
But again the stock filter is supposed to be pretty free flowing anyways

Only 2500 miles on the bike. I see no reason to replace the spark plugs
Only reason to replace the wires is to have them stand out some (would go w/Red) ? Do they really make a difference ?
And from what I have read, a PIA to replace as well as the plugs
So if I am going to do that I'd rather wait & do both later

Black ones w/orange lettering, No Thanx LOL

Old 01-07-2023, 03:00 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,699 Likes on 1,474 Posts

@Glenn Gorman I just noticed your signature says that your running magnum shielding cables on your Fat Boy.
I wanna get a set for my build in candy apple red.
What do you think of them?
I think they may be the final vanity mod upgrade I need to finish off my build with all the the other stuff I have.

Old 01-08-2023, 02:10 AM
Glenn Gorman
Club Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 501 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
@Glenn Gorman I just noticed your signature says that your running magnum shielding cables on your Fat Boy.
I wanna get a set for my build in candy apple red.
What do you think of them?
I think they may be the final vanity mod upgrade I need to finish off my build with all the the other stuff I have.
I like the look alot better then the stock Harley. The hardest decision was which ones to get. Very easy to install with their step by step instructions. Two things that I would do different: 1) Also get the matching lower ABS brake line. 2) Not turn the run switch to on until after I had bled the brakes.

The lower ABS brake line is more expensive and funds were tight.
Turning the run switch on before bleeding the front brakes caused the ABS module to cycle. Meaning that the line now had to be bled at a motorcycle shop or buying the software. I bought the software and tablet so that I can change the brake fluid every couple of years per Harley's service.
I purchased the ITM HD1 ABS Bleeding tool. http://infotechmercenary.com/product/315/

Last edited by Glenn Gorman; 01-08-2023 at 02:11 AM.
Old 01-08-2023, 01:12 PM
FLFBS
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

How long ago did you order your cruise control?? I ordered mine 1.5 years ago and still nothing. Very frustrating as HD installs this exact part on many of there new bikes everyday but can't take care of their existing customers. Not to mention HD requires full payment at time of order and YOU CAN NOT CANCEL YOUR ORDER and get your money back. The way it's going I will have sold this bike before my parts get here.

Old 01-08-2023, 01:17 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,699 Likes on 1,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Gorman
I like the look alot better then the stock Harley. The hardest decision was which ones to get. Very easy to install with their step by step instructions. Two things that I would do different: 1) Also get the matching lower ABS brake line. 2) Not turn the run switch to on until after I had bled the brakes.

The lower ABS brake line is more expensive and funds were tight.
Turning the run switch on before bleeding the front brakes caused the ABS module to cycle. Meaning that the line now had to be bled at a motorcycle shop or buying the software. I bought the software and tablet so that I can change the brake fluid every couple of years per Harley's service.
I purchased the ITM HD1 ABS Bleeding tool. http://infotechmercenary.com/product/315/
Oh right you got brakelines. I was some how thinking you got the spark plug wires.
Thats what I'm looking at is replacing the stock black ones with the Magnum shielding Candy Apple Red wires.

Old 01-08-2023, 05:21 PM
Glenn Gorman
Club Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 501 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Oh right you got brakelines. I was some how thinking you got the spark plug wires.
Thats what I'm looking at is replacing the stock black ones with the Magnum shielding Candy Apple Red wires.
I replaced the upper brake line and clutch cable. I got a good deal on the SE spark plug wires last summer. But, I have been looking at the Magnum wires. Looks like I can get the lower abs for $65 from a retailer, so I'll definitely be changing the black for the stainless. And changing the orange spark plug wires for the stainless.

BE careful ordering them: NOTE: Due to the length, applications for 2017+ Softail bikes (part number #3047) has 7.5 inches of high performance black silicone core wire on the coil end of each wire. Contact Customer Service at 585-381-8380 if you want to alter the length or position of that material.

Last edited by Glenn Gorman; 01-08-2023 at 05:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Everything 2018 FatBoy thread