Everything 2018 FatBoy thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 06:03 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 979 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Gorilla
Just registered
Picked up, in the last couple of weeks, a 2019 Softail Fatboy FLFBS 114 and absolutely love it..............
Congrats on the new bike ! looking good.

The following users liked this post:
Urban Gorilla (10-17-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 04:34 PM
ttyndall
Club Member
Received 174 Likes on 105 Posts

Urban Gorilla: Great choice. That was the same year and color I bought until the "Mod" bug kept eating at me.

Urban Gorilla (10-19-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 02:17 PM
Urban Gorilla
Tourer
Received 240 Likes on 148 Posts

Today I started checking things over.
First up its DATATAGed (think this may be a UK thing - laser etching of various parts around the bike). Quick call to DATATAG and a change of ownership form came through - filled in and sent back and just cost £20 to re-register.
I then started looking around the bike...
I noticed that the 16" Apehangers are "Chubbys".
The windshield is an adjustable one - could be Memphis Fats windshield.
The HD Sundowner Rider and Pillion seat that I bought at the weekend turned up today - only wanted the rider seat but got the whole lot for a real bargain.
Of course, I wanted to check it out, ...
So, I removed the quick release rack and pad (This was easy enough to get off but a bit of a pig to get back on - the sides needed to be compressed in slightly for it to click back into place at the back mounting points).
Then removed the Hammock seat, undid the screw holding the back of the pillion seat and then, to my surprise, it all came off in one piece (thought it may be a two-piece seat). Of course, I then realised that the rider seat bracket is missing. Quick phone call to my dealer and that's on order along with the washers and some snazy gloss black seat mounting nuts (quoted 7 - 10 days).
At this point, everything went back together.

P.S. I just spent the last few days going through all 121 pages of this thread - they're some great info., ideas and, of course, special Fatboys.

Last edited by Urban Gorilla; 10-19-2022 at 02:20 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Urban Gorilla:
Glenn Gorman (10-22-2022), HarleyDEU (11-07-2022), YHNYDad (10-19-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 12:47 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,596 Posts

So I wanted to put in a reply here, I was doing some testing of the VSS with my PowerVision, and a GPS tracker.

If you want to calibrate your Speedometer to 1:1 True Mph : Indicated, the VSS for a 240/40 rear tire is 2160.
This will read approximately 70mph at 70.125~70.5mph. It will read approximately 130mph at 130.5 to 131mph.

Doublefelix (10-28-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 06:47 AM
Doublefelix
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
So I wanted to put in a reply here, I was doing some testing of the VSS with my PowerVision, and a GPS tracker.

If you want to calibrate your Speedometer to 1:1 True Mph : Indicated, the VSS for a 240/40 rear tire is 2160.
This will read approximately 70mph at 70.125~70.5mph. It will read approximately 130mph at 130.5 to 131mph.
thank you. I will have my tuner set this up. I have always done the "speedo healer" thing on my sportbikes and have noticed the Fat Boy is way, way off.

Also, I was thinking about a couple of our interactions on here during the ride yesterday.
1> I absolutely need to get a LED bar for under my fender. My little lights are cool. They are bright at night. But, they are too small to be safe during the day.
2> Fat Boy handling. I figured out why I have an issue at times. It comes down to my bad habits. I used to ride extremely relaxed on my wideglide. My boots with heals hooked into the forward pegs. In a unexpected curve at speed, my legs absolutely steered the bike by shifting my weight and changing my posture. On the Fat Boy, if I am cruising relaxed, I don't have enough weight on my boards for my leg angle to ride like that. If I get in a more aggressive riding posture, shifting my weight like a sport bike, and I throw it around. Shaved both my wear pegs under the boards. And it was glorious!

FranBunnyFFXII (10-28-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 09:11 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Doublefelix
thank you. I will have my tuner set this up. I have always done the "speedo healer" thing on my sportbikes and have noticed the Fat Boy is way, way off.

Also, I was thinking about a couple of our interactions on here during the ride yesterday.
1> I absolutely need to get a LED bar for under my fender. My little lights are cool. They are bright at night. But, they are too small to be safe during the day.
2> Fat Boy handling. I figured out why I have an issue at times. It comes down to my bad habits. I used to ride extremely relaxed on my wideglide. My boots with heals hooked into the forward pegs. In a unexpected curve at speed, my legs absolutely steered the bike by shifting my weight and changing my posture. On the Fat Boy, if I am cruising relaxed, I don't have enough weight on my boards for my leg angle to ride like that. If I get in a more aggressive riding posture, shifting my weight like a sport bike, and I throw it around. Shaved both my wear pegs under the boards. And it was glorious!
Your welcome!
I it took a few attempts with a GPS to get the number spot on.
Stock its about 9~10mph off at 130mph.

If I'm trying rather hard to push the bike and grind boards and get some real speed into corners, I'll be hanging my leg down off the side a bit as I'm over the tank, with my toes on the back of the floorboard. Basically what they teach you in ChampSchool/CanyonChasers.
It helps a lot getting this bike to tip into corners. GP leaning makes handling this bike a breeze.
I gotta get new wear pegs myself, I'm scrapping boards.

Old 10-30-2022, 05:48 AM
Urban Gorilla
Tourer
Received 240 Likes on 148 Posts

So, I wonder if someone can point me in the right direction, or indeed, provide some advice and/or options.

From a practicality point of view, I need some saddlebags/panniers.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of choice as far as H-D ones are concerned - I only found one set!
Plus, I'll need some sort of mounting hardware.

Happy to go aftermarket.

I don't want to have to relocate the indicators.

I was thinking sling-overs but what about supports?

TIA

Old 10-30-2022, 11:15 AM
Glenn Gorman
Club Member
Received 1,208 Likes on 567 Posts

Check out: https://saddleline.com/product-categ...-fatboy-flstf/

Or: https://www.endscuoio.com/

Last edited by Glenn Gorman; 10-30-2022 at 11:24 AM.
Urban Gorilla (10-30-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 01:37 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Those Saddleline are a great idea but I need to know how their mounts work. I cant find anything.

Old 10-30-2022, 01:39 PM
DaveyFB
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,089 Likes on 1,298 Posts

3 straps, what do they think a live animal is there trying to get out ?

Quick Reply: Everything 2018 FatBoy thread