2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything 2018 FatBoy thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 11:22 AM
YHNYDad
Cruiser
Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

So the fogging in my speedo got to be too much…tried the fix I found on YouTube to get rid of it by drilling a couple holes in the back of it and putting a gortex membrane over the holes after running it and getting the moisture inside out, so no new moisture would get back in. Unfortunately I didn’t drill the 2nd hole in exactly the same spot as the video and bricked it. So…I splurged and upgraded to the Dakota Digital MLX-2011. Really happy with it. Saw posts by some that they couldn’t read it in bright sunlight but no issues here. Have it set to auto to invert to a white background with black letters/numbers and can see it clearly. Also like the added info you can get as you scroll through it. That miles to empty is nice. 😁

The following users liked this post:
Soonerbldr (09-21-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 01:27 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,699 Likes on 1,474 Posts

Originally Posted by wjcbsr
I'd sure like to know all the details of what and how you did this to your Fat Boy. I love this look. The one thing I don't like about my 20 Fat Boy is that big, blocky rear fender. IMO it just doesn't look right with the nice rounded, bulbous shape of the tank (which I like).

I'm looking forward to knowing what all you did to get this look.

Bill
I decided to not go with this setup either.
Im instead going with a Galfer 11.8inch rotor that has the color scheme to match my Rayearth color theme I have going on right now.
More Gold more Red.
I'm not buying the parts till I get paid in October.
For the Lyndall Rotor I was looking at all you need is the rotor and pads. It's all just stock replacements.
I cannot find brackets for 13 inch rotors. There are 14inch kits that fit the fat boy on ebay but they're made in china and I laugh at any idiot who puts chinesium on their harley.

Old 09-17-2022, 07:22 PM
Glenn Gorman
Club Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 498 Posts

[QUOTE=YHNYDad;20831118]So the fogging in my speedo got to be too much…tried the fix I found on YouTube to get rid of it by drilling a couple holes in the back of it and putting a gortex membrane over the holes after running it and getting the moisture inside out, so no new moisture would get back in. Unfortunately I didn’t drill the 2nd hole in exactly the same spot as the video and bricked it. So…I splurged and upgraded to the Dakota Digital MLX-2011. Really happy with it. Saw posts by some that they couldn’t read it in bright sunlight but no issues here. Have it set to auto to invert to a white background with black letters/numbers and can see it clearly. Also like the added info you can get as you scroll through it. That miles to empty is nice. 😁

My 18 Fatboy OEM Speedometer shows Miles to Empty. What gear I'm in, RPM, Clock, Trip.

Henboykin (09-18-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 07:28 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

[QUOTE=Glenn Gorman;20831675]
Originally Posted by YHNYDad
So the fogging in my speedo got to be too much…tried the fix I found on YouTube to get rid of it by drilling a couple holes in the back of it and putting a gortex membrane over the holes after running it and getting the moisture inside out, so no new moisture would get back in. Unfortunately I didn’t drill the 2nd hole in exactly the same spot as the video and bricked it. So…I splurged and upgraded to the Dakota Digital MLX-2011. Really happy with it. Saw posts by some that they couldn’t read it in bright sunlight but no issues here. Have it set to auto to invert to a white background with black letters/numbers and can see it clearly. Also like the added info you can get as you scroll through it. That miles to empty is nice. 😁

My 18 Fatboy OEM Speedometer shows Miles to Empty. What gear I'm in, RPM, Clock, Trip.
Yeah I use the Range meter all the time when the tank gets low.I like to keep an idea of how far until I'm in trouble.
A while back This is as close as I was going to get to running out of gas.

Old 09-18-2022, 05:55 AM
YHNYDad
Cruiser
Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

[QUOTE=FranBunnyFFXII;20831689]
Originally Posted by Glenn Gorman
Yeah I use the Range meter all the time when the tank gets low.I like to keep an idea of how far until I'm in trouble.

Ha! Is that what that screen was. 🤦🏻‍♂️😂 Well didn’t get the new speedo just for that screen. If I did I’d feel really bad now. Really didn’t want any more fogging. After reading about folks getting replacement HD ones and them still fogging up…decided I have the cash and can afford it, so why not get one that just doesn’t fog up and like the look of. I’d still have the original if it didn’t fog up, not knocking it for what it did…just the moisture issue. There are a lot more screens of data that I know I didn’t have on my OEM Speedo. Not sure right now how many of those I’ll use…but not the main reason for the change, and happy with my decision.

The following 2 users liked this post by YHNYDad:
Glenn Gorman (09-19-2022), Henboykin (09-18-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 11:12 PM
Glenn Gorman
Club Member

@YHNYDad just busting on ya.

YHNYDad (09-19-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 06:57 PM
yobtaf103
Road Master
Received 274 Likes on 176 Posts

[QUOTE=FranBunnyFFXII;20831689]

After about 10 mls left it just reads Low

Old 09-23-2022, 08:35 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

So here's a full walk around of Rayearth after 1 year.
I labeled all the mods I did in the video.
Still a lot more to do.

The following 5 users liked this post by FranBunnyFFXII:
Glenn Gorman (09-23-2022), HarleyDEU (09-25-2022), Soonerbldr (09-23-2022), willcasp (09-23-2022), YHNYDad (09-23-2022)
Old 09-23-2022, 11:26 AM
Glenn Gorman
Club Member

Glad that you showed the chrome switches, I've been thinking about swapping mine out for the chrome. They do look good. Where did you get those orange toppers for the lever pins?

FranBunnyFFXII (09-24-2022)
Old 09-23-2022, 11:27 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Glad that you showed the chrome switches, I've been thinking about swapping mine out for the chrome. They do look good. Where did you get those orange toppers for the lever pins?
Orange Toppers?
You mean the Gold ***** on my Oberon Levers? Those are just a choice you can make if you order an adjustable lever from Oberon.
I was trying to get Gold accents for my Rayearth theme.

Glenn Gorman (09-24-2022)

Quick Reply: Everything 2018 FatBoy thread