2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything 2018 FatBoy thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2022, 10:52 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyDEU
I’ve used the standard conversion kit at first. To get C&C in Germany isn’t easy but the saddlemen explorer or profiler are available.
When asking for the right handle bar I’ve got both answers: Ape or Hollywood bars for tall guys. But my last trip for 3 hours on this bike was horrible or „PITA“ because of my butt 😂
I have both seats for my Fat Boy.
Profiler seat is a show bike/racing seat. It is not very comfortable for long distance. Knuckle Profiler will hold you in at full throttle and lets you get your butt on the edge of the seat so you do motoGP body position and get faster turns. But after 100miles it's not a fun seat to have.
The Explorer is fantastic for long distance though, but it's a wide bucket and you aren't going to be able to move your butt around. It has the support for multi day trips. It hugs my hips just fine and gets you sat up and comfortable.
I keep the profiler on my bike because of Style and how often I ride my bike hard scraping boards and generally being a hooligan.
But if I'm doing major distance... The Explorer seat comes out.

The following users liked this post:
HarleyDEU (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 12:20 PM
HarleyDEU
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
I have both seats for my Fat Boy.
Profiler seat is a show bike/racing seat. It is not very comfortable for long distance. Knuckle Profiler will hold you in at full throttle and lets you get your butt on the edge of the seat so you do motoGP body position and get faster turns. But after 100miles it's not a fun seat to have.
The Explorer is fantastic for long distance though, but it's a wide bucket and you aren't going to be able to move your butt around. It has the support for multi day trips. It hugs my hips just fine and gets you sat up and comfortable.
I keep the profiler on my bike because of Style and how often I ride my bike hard scraping boards and generally being a hooligan.
But if I'm doing major distance... The Explorer seat comes out.
Thanks for this comparison! Mustang day Tripper or will set me higher but not backwards. The standard touring seat looks comfortable but same like the day tripper.
So at now it sounds that the explorer would be the all in solution. For short 20 minutes trips I’ve still a solution.
Last question for your experience: Will the explorer work with an ape and the stock bars (or Hollywood) as same? the seat looks for me like a solution for an upright seating position for an ape.

thanks for your patience!

Old 08-14-2022, 12:27 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by HarleyDEU
Thanks for this comparison! Mustang day Tripper or will set me higher but not backwards. The standard touring seat looks comfortable but same like the day tripper.
So at now it sounds that the explorer would be the all in solution. For short 20 minutes trips I’ve still a solution.
Last question for your experience: Will the explorer work with an ape and the stock bars (or Hollywood) as same? the seat looks for me like a solution for an upright seating position for an ape.

thanks for your patience!
I have no idea because I have the 4inch pullback risers on my bike and the stock bars.
This brought the bar position back an inch and up 2 inches. For me this feels tall.
Also I'm a girl so I have shorter arms, and longer legs, so things fit for me a little different.
The explorer seat moves you back, and moves you up.
The Profile Seat moves you back but not up.

HarleyDEU (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 05:49 PM
BatFoy
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I just installed a set of like mint, used V&H on my '18.
It had some sort of no-name straight-thru's on it and it ran pretty bad and the sound was awful.
Wasn't sure if the V&H would make a difference but it was my first guess. Viola' it's a different bike! Worth every cent!

Glenn Gorman (08-24-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 05:54 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by BatFoy
I just installed a set of like mint, used V&H on my '18.
It had some sort of no-name straight-thru's on it and it ran pretty bad and the sound was awful.
Wasn't sure if the V&H would make a difference but it was my first guess. Viola' it's a different bike! Worth every cent!
Vance and Hines... What?
Eliminators? Short Shots? Twin Slash? Big Shots?

Old 08-14-2022, 06:04 PM
BatFoy
Intermediate

Eliminator 300's....
Quick after install pic:

Old 08-14-2022, 06:13 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Eliminator 300's....
Quick after install pic:

Aye same ones I got.

If you want some more anti-reversion and to get rid of that powerloss they bring, you can install 118W ThunderTorque inserts into them.
I put them into mine and I like the end result. A little bit quieter, Adds some major Decel exhaust note, keeps up power from low end to 5000+RPM.
Pretty easy install.

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 08-14-2022 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 06:20 PM
BatFoy
Intermediate

I can say the difference is night/day. It runs like I thought it would when I bought it but for the first month it was awful.
I may add a small tune in the future but right now I plan to just ride and keep it clean and maintained.

I guess I'll try to sell the others...maybe get a few bucks for them....

Old 08-14-2022, 06:27 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

I can say the difference is night/day. It runs like I thought it would when I bought it but for the first month it was awful.
I may add a small tune in the future but right now I plan to just ride and keep it clean and maintained.

I guess I'll try to sell the others...maybe get a few bucks for them....
DynoJet's Stock Improved Tune is great for the setup with the 118W TTIs in them.
The bike ran really good with that setup, and I ran it until I went stage2.
You can download the map directly from Dynojet's website.

BatFoy (08-15-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 12:35 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

I ran out of Needle space on my speedometer. haha.
So this is approximately how fast a 2018 Fat Boy 114 with a stock cam can go when you remove the limiter.

The following 5 users liked this post by FranBunnyFFXII:
Glenn Gorman (08-24-2022), Kenelz (08-24-2022), MoneyFor (08-25-2022), niceguyshawn (09-02-2022), YHNYDad (08-24-2022)

Quick Reply: Everything 2018 FatBoy thread