2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything 2018 FatBoy thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 11:41 AM
Lars O
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Fran, that’s very helpful. Great if you can dig out a picture of your install when you get a chance.

Old 08-11-2022, 11:52 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,699 Likes on 1,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Lars O
Thanks Fran, that’s very helpful. Great if you can dig out a picture of your install when you get a chance.
I edited my post with pics. Go ahead and check now.

Old 08-11-2022, 01:45 PM
Lars O
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brilliant, thanks Fran

Old 08-11-2022, 03:06 PM
Monteman1971
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Yeah they fit in the baffle.
I used the 118W and the 2 nuts and I think... one of them has a washer or lockring.
I can check my footage and see what I did, you'll have to give me a little bit.
I drilled on the nearest line of the baffle itself to the end of the baffle, and installed them in. Made it easy to drill a hole for the stud.

The 158W will not fit, so dont get them.

EDIT:
So it's
Bottom Knut, Bafflewall, Lockwasher, Top Knut.

I used blue Loctite, which I realize is completely pointless, lol.
Use Red Loctite... But I'm not sure you actually need loctite for these.
They haven't moved at all since I installed them.

So what's the benefit to that? I've seen people remove the baffles and use that instead but not both. Did you cut away any of the baffle?

Thanks
Steve

Old 08-11-2022, 03:16 PM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,699 Likes on 1,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Monteman1971
So what's the benefit to that? I've seen people remove the baffles and use that instead but not both. Did you cut away any of the baffle?

Thanks
Steve
No. The full baffles are still in there.
The Eliminator 300s are a straight through baffle, so they don't have much anti-reversion control in them, just sound reduction.
Putting the TTIs in there cuts down on reversion and restores loss of low end torque. Makes the engine run better, and also reduces the noise levels.
Bike performed better after putting them in, and the sound is more aggressive.

Vance and Hines does offer a product like this for their baffles called a Quiet Baffle insert, that you put under the end cap, and it does basically the same thing as the TTIs, but it's 50$ each, and TTIs are 50$ for 2 of them, and you can adjust them.

The following users liked this post:
Monteman1971 (08-12-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 06:25 AM
HarleyDEU
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Need advice: seating position fat boy for tall guys

After installing the board to peg system, my 6.3 size legs felt quite relaxed. Following recommendations, I switched to the Breakout seat after the Renegade Solo didn't bring me relaxation and often hurt my tailbone or lower back. Now I'm actually about to switch from standard handlebars to short risers and wide Hollywood handlebars. I know the seat should fit first: I have the feeling that I have to sit further back but much higher than the breakout seat because my butt falls asleep after 30 minutes.

Should I switch to the Ape to sit more upright and thus comfortably on tours or change the seat and keep the handlebars flat?
The retailer advised me not to use the ape because then I put too much strain on my lower back on the Fat Boy.
I know it's a lot of factors, but I'm sure you have the experience of touring the Fat Boy as tall guys. Like the look of the Fat Boy since the last 2 years but thinking about a road king for better feeling on trips.

Old 08-14-2022, 07:23 AM
Doublefelix
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyDEU
After installing the board to peg system, my 6.3 size legs felt quite relaxed. Following recommendations, I switched to the Breakout seat after the Renegade Solo didn't bring me relaxation and often hurt my tailbone or lower back. Now I'm actually about to switch from standard handlebars to short risers and wide Hollywood handlebars. I know the seat should fit first: I have the feeling that I have to sit further back but much higher than the breakout seat because my butt falls asleep after 30 minutes.

Should I switch to the Ape to sit more upright and thus comfortably on tours or change the seat and keep the handlebars flat?
The retailer advised me not to use the ape because then put too much strain on my lower back on the Fat Boy.
I know it's a lot of factors, but I'm sure you have the experience of touring the Fat Boy as tall guys. Like the look of the Fat Boy since the last 2 years but thinking about a road king for better feeling on trips.
seat first.
Look for one that has almost a vertical wall for back support. C&C and Saddlemen seats seem popular.
I went with the C&C Fastback.

After the seat, then see if you even need to change bars.

Did you put the 3" extended pegs on or just the standard conversion?

The following users liked this post:
HarleyDEU (09-04-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 07:37 AM
HarleyDEU
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublefelix
seat first.
Look for one that has almost a vertical wall for back support. C&C and Saddlemen seats seem popular.
I went with the C&C Fastback.

After the seat, then see if you even need to change bars.

Did you put the 3" extended pegs on or just the standard conversion?
I’ve used the standard conversion kit at first. To get C&C in Germany isn’t easy but the saddlemen explorer or profiler are available.
When asking for the right handle bar I’ve got both answers: Ape or Hollywood bars for tall guys. But my last trip for 3 hours on this bike was horrible or „PITA“ because of my butt 😂

Old 08-14-2022, 08:13 AM
DaveyFB
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,088 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Another thread I am going to have to spend time going thru (and then spend $$)
Just bought my bike just over 2 months ago, upgraded to LED turn signals from Custom Dynamics
HD 15" windshield is on order
Rest was as purchased

That flag flies in front of my garage door

Bassani Road Rage

Ape bars, still up in the air on them I like the look of the stock bars

Old 08-14-2022, 10:48 AM
Doublefelix
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyDEU
I’ve used the standard conversion kit at first. To get C&C in Germany isn’t easy but the saddlemen explorer or profiler are available.
When asking for the right handle bar I’ve got both answers: Ape or Hollywood bars for tall guys. But my last trip for 3 hours on this bike was horrible or „PITA“ because of my butt 😂
nothing wrong with saddlemen. I'm in the middle of a bar swap. 14" KST Straight Jacket apes. I'm 5'11" and my arms SHOULD drap just below my shoulders. Now, I have an extremely long torso. I'm also pretty fat at 320#, so i needed my arms up and out to keep my hands from going numb.

Quick Reply: Everything 2018 FatBoy thread