2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Everything 2018 FatBoy thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 10:13 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 442 Likes on 321 Posts

I'm with you on that. This will be my first full Summer with mine and I'm looking forward to a long season. Enjoy!

Old 04-20-2019, 12:17 AM
Millwright 114
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2018 Fatboy 114 , Vance & Hines big radius "ground pounders " , street slammer bars

Old 04-20-2019, 09:27 AM
catalac
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by catalac
2018 fatboy... I’m 6’1” tried the 15 up to 55 mph fine over that the wind hits nose up. I’m taking back for 19.
6 foot 1 inch.... not 61.

The following users liked this post:
Glenn Gorman (03-04-2022)
Old 05-12-2019, 01:20 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,904 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Originally Posted by Rican219
Hey, can you reupload that video where you showed off the 475C cam the first time? Where at like 4 minutes in you had the timestamp for how the bike sounded.
The sound was awesome. I went to look for it and saw the video was gone.
Im kinda sad it's gone, it was one of the best videos capturing the sound that the cam makes.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:48 AM
Rican219
Advanced
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Hey, can you reupload that video where you showed off the 475C cam the first time? Where at like 4 minutes in you had the timestamp for how the bike sounded.
The sound was awesome. I went to look for it and saw the video was gone.
Im kinda sad it's gone, it was one of the best videos capturing the sound that the cam makes.
Here you go bro sorry having issues with my last channel. Re-Uploaded

Last edited by Rican219; 05-12-2019 at 11:14 AM.
FranBunnyFFXII (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 11:48 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rican219
Here you go bro sorry having issues with my last channel. Re-Uploaded
https://youtu.be/O-8S9MlKX14
Sweet. Thanks for the reupload.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:46 PM
Rican219
Advanced
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
Sweet. Thanks for the reupload.
No Problem bro.

philip.east (11-23-2021)
Old 05-23-2019, 02:21 AM
Bolo9000
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fatboy for touring

I'm looking to buy a Softail 114 in the next couple of weeks and am looking for one that could double as an occasional long trip bike. I know the Heritage is the obvious choice but I was wondering if anyone here has used their Fatboy 114 for this. I'm in love with the look if this bike and don't see why it couldn't double as tourer with the right extras but I'd like to know if anyone's done it here and think its a good idea or should I just get the Heritage and save my self some pain. Is the stock seat a throw away or is it viable for 500 miles in a day? Also I've watched a lot of youtube reviews complaining about the fat tire handling but its always from guys doing test rides and not anyone who's actually owned the bike long term. Has anyone here "mastered" the fat tires and got it cornering and handling the way they'd like or all the test riders correct in saying its poor handling? Any advice from experienced owners would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and ride safe!

Old 05-23-2019, 03:36 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bolo9000
I'm looking to buy a Softail 114 in the next couple of weeks and am looking for one that could double as an occasional long trip bike. I know the Heritage is the obvious choice but I was wondering if anyone here has used their Fatboy 114 for this. I'm in love with the look if this bike and don't see why it couldn't double as tourer with the right extras but I'd like to know if anyone's done it here and think its a good idea or should I just get the Heritage and save my self some pain. Is the stock seat a throw away or is it viable for 500 miles in a day? Also I've watched a lot of youtube reviews complaining about the fat tire handling but its always from guys doing test rides and not anyone who's actually owned the bike long term. Has anyone here "mastered" the fat tires and got it cornering and handling the way they'd like or all the test riders correct in saying its poor handling? Any advice from experienced owners would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and ride safe!
I don't have one yet, but I've done a ton of research on the bike, and I'll share my thoughts on it with you as to why I'm going to get one, because you sound a bit like me in my interests.

The Heritage would be a better value in terms of stuff you get for you dollar, and it would be a more nimble bike.
However, the 2018 Fat Boy has an killer look and you can't really replace that.
And While the Heritage is better equipped for touring, the Fat Tire aspect of the bike is something the Heritage can't do.
Fat tire bikes ride smoother and are less impacted by road quality compared to normal tires and narrow tires. The fat front and rear tire combo is actually something people have been doing to Road Glides and Street glides for a little while now, I think it may actually be where Harley got the idea for a fat tire bike. A few companies and shops sell 180 and 200mm front tire kits along with fender paint to match for like 4000$ range, but for the Fat Boy? It's obviously a stock feature.

In terms of comfort, you can't beat a saddlemen gel 2up seat, really. Saddlemen makes a couple of gel and memory foam combo 2 up seats for this bike that can't be beat in terms of long range comfort unless you go to a full on bagger.
The 2018 Softail seats are better than the Dyna and previous softails, but Saddlemen has them beat so, I'd just go for the Explorer RS, the GTech, LS or Step-Up. Saddlemen even offers a back rest on quite a few of their seat options.

About the Fat Tire handling. The test Riders are not used to it, so yeah they will struggle, but the new M8 Softail frame, even with the 240mm swing arm is better than the dyna so it's really a matter of just getting used to the fat tire riding characteristics. The people I know who Own the bike say its more nimble than people think.
Ofc you wont ever beat narrow tires in terms of handling flickablility. But the issue of handling is pretty exaggerated in the words of most of the Fat Boy owners I've talked too.
I'd say the biggest problem isn't the fat tires, but the lean angle. it's 25.6 combined degrees both side, which is more than the previous softails, but still not as good as something like a sport bike or street glide.
Some of the owners here have replaced their floorboards with pegs and gotten more lean angle out of it.

That's about the extend of my knowledge, Grain of salt, and hopefully someone who has the bike can either confirm or correct me.

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 05-23-2019 at 03:40 AM.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:35 AM
Msquad
Road Captain
Received 190 Likes on 130 Posts

Check out this guy's vids. Got rid of an older touring bike and is using the fatboy for his touring bike. He has a few fatboy vids.

Quick Reply: Everything 2018 FatBoy thread