2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 11:21 AM
cjdyna
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

army eod. take a look at mean city cycles. they have all kinds of mod's for your existing seat that may solve your issues. They did my seat on my old bike and did a great job. They even redid it when I said it wasn't quite right at no charge. As soon as the snow sets in I am sending the Hertiage seat to them. At least it is another option. Then you could add a grasshopper back rest

http://www.meancitycycles.com/

Last edited by cjdyna; 08-13-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:24 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by cjdyna
army eod. take a look at mean city cycles. they have all kinds of mod's for your existing seat that may solve your issues. They did my seat on my old bike and did a great job. They even redid it when I said it wasn't quite right at no charge. As soon as the snow sets in I am sending the Hertiage seat to them. At least it is another option.

http://www.meancitycycles.com/
thanks

Old 08-13-2018, 02:20 PM
jwade
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got the Screamin' Eagle Oval shaped air cleaner installed over the week-end. Dealer installed with some Pro vision fuel pack. It started feeling whole different bike after the install. Now I feel like I have more control over the engine power while riding. My riding is lot more stable and confident compared to before. Completely worth $675 I spent for this.

Suspension adjustment is driving me crazy. I go for work with 1 click. In the evening I need 3.5 clicks when I go out with my wife. Is it ok to keep it at average level for both situations? I was thinking of keeping at 2.25 for both times. Will that work or will something go wrong? I can keep couple of weights in saddlebag while riding solo if that helps.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:16 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 802 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by jwade
Suspension adjustment is driving me crazy. I go for work with 1 click. In the evening I need 3.5 clicks when I go out with my wife. Is it ok to keep it at average level for both situations? I was thinking of keeping at 2.25 for both times. Will that work or will something go wrong? I can keep couple of weights in saddlebag while riding solo if that helps.

When riding solo, I had mine at the lowest possible since I'm only 160 lbs. However, 2 up with my S.O. I need to go about halfway up or we tend to bottom out on a bump. As a result, and not wanting to remove and replace the seat, I have left mine at the setting for 2 up. In all honesty I don't notice too much of a difference when riding solo. I guess, if I think about it, on a washboard road or going over some RR crossings, it is a little harsher, but I can live with it. Can't see why it would hurt anything but your butt to ride at a higher setting.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:34 PM
gregs18heritage
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know the part number for those fangs? I need some for my 2018 Heritage. The buffeting is really limiting my riding.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:03 AM
Buster217
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Wind deflectors

Originally Posted by gregs18heritage
Do you know the part number for those fangs? I need some for my 2018 Heritage. The buffeting is really limiting my riding.
I got mine at JES Custom Accents. I installed them inside the the grommets for the windshield mount. JES suggests on the outside for better airflow to the engine, but I don't think it makes any difference. They look better to me when they are closer to the forks. It seems like they helped quite a lot.

I'm kind of surprised you are experiencing buffeting so bad that it's limiting your riding. With the stock windshield and no fangs, it wasn't really that bad for me. Maybe you go a lot faster than I do.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:01 AM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm 6'1" and for me, the buffeting caused more ear ringing than my exhaust. The fangs alone helped but didn't solve the buffeting. I used a measuring tape from the top of the stock 19" windshield with the help of an assistant to determine the height requirement for the new shield to reach nose level which for me was a 21 1/2" shield. I ordered the Freedom shield with the blacked out bottom and smoked top shield with the curve at the top. It arrived a week before my 1800 mile trip up the coast of California and Oregon and back. The improvement was so significant that I really can't adequately describe it. The wind noise is 90% less than it was. I can now hear my helmet bluetooth music beyond 80mph and talk with either my son or wife when we ride (my son has a Fatbob 114 and my wife has a 750 Street). One of my favorite modifications to date. The Mustang touring seat is a close second.

The following users liked this post:
Toolmaster (08-24-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 11:54 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts

Well since the Mustang solo seat moved me back about two inches, been using my stock seat which is a perfect distance from the handlebars and I like it very much.
However, the stock seat has no backrest.
I ordered a Sundowner solo for the Heritage with the hopes it will still be about the same seat position as the stock seat but more comfortable with more back support. It can bring me forward a bit and that won't be a problem, I hope.
We shall see.
At some point I may be selling an almost new Mustang Vintage with backrest.
Range report when I get the new seat and test it.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:57 PM
Buster217
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 160 Posts

I should add: I was fairly happy with the fang wind deflectors and stock windshield. But, I had a windshield that I had cut down to about 15" from a previous bike that I put on the Heritage, along with a Hot Wing from Memphis Shades and that cut down on the wind even more. I can go pretty fast without excessive wind noise with that combination. And I get virtually zero buffeting of either my helmet or upper body. The air behind the windshield is still enough that I occasionally see bugs floating around in front of me. I still wear ear plugs if I'm riding any length of time and also on the freeway because of traffic noise. Interestingly I can hear music from the in-helmet speakers better with earplugs than without. I use plugs with a 25 dB NRR, which is sufficient to cut way down on outside noise but allows me to hear the music quite well. I tried it with 33 dB plugs, but they attenuate everything too much.

The following users liked this post:
cobalt07 (08-05-2023)
Old 08-16-2018, 05:25 AM
billbrummett
Tourer
Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts
Default will convert rear tire to tubeless-2018 Heritage 114

anyone removed rear wheel yet? It looks easy, but are there any things I may be missing? one spacer on each side, and out she comes, right? no video on youtube yet.

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread