2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 09:21 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 802 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by mongomark
I have the Harley Pilot 3 convertible helmet that I've added blue tooth to that I wear most of the time.
That is the one I tried on but it wasn't comfortable on me. I don't like the feel of the chin area enclosure. I might consider a Schuberth M1 at some time in the future.

The following users liked this post:
Robertashby (12-23-2021)
Old 02-21-2018, 09:35 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by GregorsPub

New '18 Heritage. Minor changes, all cosmetic at this point. Adding FP3 and Rinehart 3.5s after 1000 mile checkup. Last Heritage was a '96 and I traded in a'14 Street Glide Special on this one. Hands down the best handling all-around bike I've ever owned. Love it.
Really like your leather pieces. Are you going to do the seat and bags too?Coming along nicely.

As for helmets...

I wear a Shoei RF1200 FF for commuting, and a Biltwell Bonanza 3/4 with goggles for weekend day rides.

Shoei...extremely comfortable for me and top quality (although not cheap). FF offers the very best face/jaw protection. With my windshield on I can keep my visor fully open with just a pair of sunglasses and it’s very comfy no matter what speed I get up to - so even though it’s a FF I get a pretty open wind in face experience.

Biltwell 3/4...good fit for my head. I like the Bell helmets better for quality, but they do not fit me as well unfortunately. I’ve had half helmets (and ridden lidless in MN for a few years), but wind over my ears is not my favorite thing and earplugs make me feel like I’m under water. Anyway, the 3/4 is open, yet fairly protective. With my beard, the windshield has to be off to keep it from whipping my face in the buffeted air. I wear goggles if I’m going over 45mph, otherwise my regular glasses work. “Ride glasses” would work well too. This set up works up to any speed as long as the helmet fits well enough to keep wind from getting under it. I strap it down a little extra tight if I know I’m going to be 70+mph forvany length of time.

All the brands fit different head shapes so try a few. Also make sure it fits snug enough. The interior face pads will break in and open more.

34 degrees this morning....putting on the Shoei and heading out to split lanes for 50 minutes.

Last edited by Thingfish; 02-21-2018 at 09:39 AM.
FrankEV (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 09:53 AM
GregorsPub
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Really like your leather pieces. Are you going to do the seat and bags too?Coming along nicely.
Thanks! Working on it Thingfish. Kind of learning as I go.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:55 AM
BCC1
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I live in Florida and wear a SENA Calvary half Helmet that is Dot certified. I use it because the integrated sound is great on my commute to work.

I never ride without a helmet. And up until I got this bike a few weeks ago, I always wore fullface, modular or Adventure style full face.

I am going to buy the SENA FF helmet when it come out in March.

I am an old track rat, and have scraped up a few chin bars in my day. I do know the advantages of a ff. But damn, the half helmet sure feels better in the warmth.

FrankEV (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 08:35 PM
Dartconv64
Novice
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Just keeps getting stronger

Added a swing arm bag to my Heritage Anniversary today. Love this bike! It was in the 80s in Florida today, so put on a few more miles.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dartconv64:
RENARELLO (04-06-2020), TX_Roadglide (02-19-2021)
Old 02-21-2018, 10:20 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Looks good stripped down like that. I’d like to make a reversible bobber configuration for mine with plug and play swappable tail lights.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:27 AM
kb_jag
Tourer
Received 145 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Na

It doesn't look good stripped down......It looks GREAT!

Old 02-22-2018, 12:43 AM
zrdstr3
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Dartconv64, I saw you and your wife in Winter Garden this afternoon, those bikes look great.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:24 AM
abadley
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Dartconv64

Added a swing arm bag to my Heritage Anniversary today. Love this bike! It was in the 80s in Florida today, so put on a few more miles.
Looks awesome! Would you mind posting a pic of the other side? Love seeing these bikes without the saddlebags!

Old 02-22-2018, 11:34 AM
rcpbob
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
Default leaking bag

Well Frank, took her to the dealer about my '18 FLHC and the left side bag letting water in. The service writer was like "the bags are rain proof, not washing proof". But Harley calls these things "water proof", so water should not be allowed in the bag, at all ! My '16 Heritage bags were not water proof, but I never had water inside them ! So the Service writer agrees to write a warranty ticket, although he doesn't have much hope anything will be done. So much for H-D water proof claims.

Originally Posted by FrankEV
rcpbob,
Although I havn't riddenin the rain, my bike has benn out in the rain a few times and the bags have stayed dry.
So, I kinda think there is a crack, split or maybe the top dosen't close correctly on yours.
In any case I would think you would/should be talking to your dealer about replacing the bag.
H-D says they are waterproof, so since yours is leaking somewhere, it must be defective and should be eligible to be replaced under warentee.

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread