2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 07:04 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 802 Likes on 500 Posts

From one 107 owner to another 107 owner and JFYI. I agree with everything you said with one exception. When mine was stock mine it had a slight but noticeable and disconcerning hesitation (lag or dead spot) when rolling onto the throttle from a stop. RPM at idle was around 900 and often sounded like it was going to stall when waiting at a light...someting to due with one of the two plugs in the cylinders shutting down to conserve fuel. I installed a Stage I Screaming Eagle air breather (the oval one, not the scoop) and did a tune with the H-D Street tuner. This is a H-D acceptible upgrade and will not affect warenty. It made a significant difference in the throttle responce and pushed the Idle RPM's up to near 1000 and it no longer sounds like it is going to stall. It also increased MPG somewhat as I get almost 55 MPG on Highway rides (not Interstate) wher I'm traveling almost continuously between 50 and 75 MPH. Around 50 MPG around town.

Now, I need an answer to a question you may be able to answer since you are comming to the Heritage from other rides. As I have noted herein a number of times I am a new H-D owner having not ridden in many years. The question is, do you find the throttle to be any different than the others? To this I mean, is it as linear in operation as others?

This is probably just me, but I find a very minimum amount of throttle rotation (on or off) results in a very large change in engine responce. I find it very difficult to even adjust my hand position on the throttle without an unintentional abrupt change in speed. In the begining I just assumed it was my lack of practice, but with now nearly 3K on the bike, it is still bothersom. Holding a constant RPM through slow speed menuvers is difficult.

Thanks

Old 07-19-2018, 08:26 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankEV
From one 107 owner to another 107 owner and JFYI. I agree with everything you said with one exception. When mine was stock mine it had a slight but noticeable and disconcerning hesitation (lag or dead spot) when rolling onto the throttle from a stop. RPM at idle was around 900 and often sounded like it was going to stall when waiting at a light...someting to due with one of the two plugs in the cylinders shutting down to conserve fuel. I installed a Stage I Screaming Eagle air breather (the oval one, not the scoop) and did a tune with the H-D Street tuner. This is a H-D acceptible upgrade and will not affect warenty. It made a significant difference in the throttle responce and pushed the Idle RPM's up to near 1000 and it no longer sounds like it is going to stall. It also increased MPG somewhat as I get almost 55 MPG on Highway rides (not Interstate) wher I'm traveling almost continuously between 50 and 75 MPH. Around 50 MPG around town.

Now, I need an answer to a question you may be able to answer since you are comming to the Heritage from other rides. As I have noted herein a number of times I am a new H-D owner having not ridden in many years. The question is, do you find the throttle to be any different than the others? To this I mean, is it as linear in operation as others?

This is probably just me, but I find a very minimum amount of throttle rotation (on or off) results in a very large change in engine responce. I find it very difficult to even adjust my hand position on the throttle without an unintentional abrupt change in speed. In the begining I just assumed it was my lack of practice, but with now nearly 3K on the bike, it is still bothersom. Holding a constant RPM through slow speed menuvers is difficult.

Thanks
Frank

The throttle response is pretty much the same as my 06 TC Deluxe and my 06 CVO Springer Softail. I am not seeing any difference. I do not notice any off idle problems. I do notice that when I stop at an intersection, the engine will seem to surge a bit and then settle down to idle. Pretty sure it is all the electronic EPA stuff making adjustments. Comparing this bike to, say my Ducati, Indian Scout or others, it is tame. The big twin HD is geared fairly high in first gear in my opinion, so the key is working on the clutch friction zone technique and slipping the clutch when pulling off a stop sometimes.
If you want to feel a twitchy throttle, try a Ducati with 160 + horsepower in Sport Mode. Good that the Ducati has traction control.

The following users liked this post:
FrankEV (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 08:29 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts

Another note; we had a 2016 Triumph America which had a very serious off idle throttle problem. It was endemic to the bike. Triumph did not want to admit it, and they just discontinued that bike. The engine would flat QUIT when pulling off a stop unless you revved the engine way up and slipped the clutch. It was supposedly due to EPA fuel air metering and the fix was unhooking the air injection system, which would void the warranty, of course. I was glad to get rid of that bike. It could kill you.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:27 AM
A1A
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by army_eod
Decided to spring for a Mustang Vintage solo seat with backrest.
Just installed a black engine guard.
Let us know how you like the Mustang Vintage solo seat and backrest when you get it. I've had that particular seat on three previously owned bikes and it made a remarkable difference in comfort and time in the saddle. Hope that tradition continues with the 2018 Heritage. I do find the Heritage stock seat too be the most comfortable of any motorcycle I've owned. But there is always room for improvement when it comes to my old bones.
Cheers

Old 07-19-2018, 09:47 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankEV

Thanks
Frank, I ride several brands of bikes and daily for over 30 years. There’s nothing wrong with the M8 throttle, but because of our high torque it is very responsive to input. Our bikes use a Throttle By Wire system instead of a traditional cable. The good news is that it is programmable. The lag you noticed before your stage one was the factory setting which digitally muted the response of the throttle by about 20%. Dealers usually set this to zero when going stage 1 or above which adds to the sense of speed and power, but also removes all lag. If you’re hand is having trouble with the throttle sensitivity you could adjust the throttle response a little...maybe 5% and see if that helps. Either he dealer can do it, or you can if you’ve bought the tuning cable and have a laptop to plug it into. Otherwise it should just take more practice to get your muscle memory into a groove with your throttle.

FrankEV (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 09:56 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Anyone interested in pipes who is not looking for anything crazy loud should check out the new Cobra Neighbor Haters slip one. Don’t let the name fool you, they have a great deep rumble that is not obnoxious. I’ve heard them in person and rode a bike with them on and I thought they sounded about perfect for me.

This video is not the same bike but it’s a decent example of what they sounded like in person.

No cats so the usual disclaimers apply. $320. Not bad.

cjdyna (07-20-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 02:14 AM
bgm
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

Is anyone having trouble with the USB port on their bike? I have my iphone 7 set up on my bike as a GPS and it initially starts charging properly for the first couple of minutes but then the indicator on the phone starts alternatively connecting/disconnecting and it never charges. Doesn't matter if the bike is running or not, I get the same result. Have also tried a couple of genuine Apple cables in case that was the issue with no luck. Thought I would run it past you guys/gals before taking back to the dealer for a possible warranty job.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Old 07-24-2018, 02:34 AM
bailer
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bgm
Hi,

Is anyone having trouble with the USB port on their bike? I have my iphone 7 set up on my bike as a GPS and it initially starts charging properly for the first couple of minutes but then the indicator on the phone starts alternatively connecting/disconnecting and it never charges. Doesn't matter if the bike is running or not, I get the same result. Have also tried a couple of genuine Apple cables in case that was the issue with no luck. Thought I would run it past you guys/gals before taking back to the dealer for a possible warranty job.

Cheers
I use a 7+ with an iStore 1.5ft lightning cable. It has given me no trouble at all....

However, I was having the same symptoms you describe with a cord in my house. It would chime in and out as it was losing contact with any slight movement.

I just used a bit of dielectric grease on the end of the cord and it completely fixed the problem. Because the bike plug will be exposed to the elements a bit while riding it is good practice to put some dielectric on. Hope your fix is that easy!
https://www.amazon.ca/Permatex-81150-Dielectric-Tune-Up-Grease-33-Ounce/dp/B000AL2RI2?th=1&psc=1&source=googleshopping&locale=en-CA&tag=googcana-20&ref=pd_sl_42stkif3gm_e https://www.amazon.ca/Permatex-81150-Dielectric-Tune-Up-Grease-33-Ounce/dp/B000AL2RI2?th=1&psc=1&source=googleshopping&locale=en-CA&tag=googcana-20&ref=pd_sl_42stkif3gm_e

The following 2 users liked this post by bailer:
bgm (07-24-2018), Thingfish (07-24-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 12:45 PM
kenny55
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

Look what I just found! Been looking daily and finally paid off. These will allow for mini floorboards anyway.

https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/47...d-peg-adapters

Reverend DG (07-30-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 03:53 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 802 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by bgm
Hi,

Cheers
I had to zip tie the phone plug into the USB port. Since I did that I do not lose the connection.

bgm (07-25-2018)

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread